Mafia Remastered Trilogy - PC - PS4 - XB - Out Now

27 minutes ago, Fox said:

Do you need to have played Mafia 1 before 2? For some reason I just saw that I have Mafia 2 DE in my library, but not Mafia 1.

Despite the eras and characters being different, yes  I would still recommend playing 1 before 2. 

I almost gave up on this after about an hour or so. Coming off the back of such highly polished titles such as LoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima, it was pretty jarring to deal with the jankiness of the melee combat and the character animations (as a couple of examples). But I stuck with it a bit longer and I have to say, I’m really enjoying it. Taking on a bunch of bad guys with a tommy gun feels great, and the driving is really satisfying as well.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Some of the these cut scenes are shocking, this game has aged poorly. But then, I suppose this game is an actual remaster, whereas the first game was a proper remake from the ground up.

Tempted to skip straight to 3...

It was widely reported that 2 was a bit of a hack job update, but you need to play it for the continuation of the story of 1. Part 3 also follows from 2, so you do kinda need to play all of them to get the whole story. 

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It was widely reported that 2 was a bit of a hack job update, but you need to play it for the continuation of the story of 1. Part 3 also follows from 2, so you do kinda need to play all of them to get the whole story. 

Yeah, I played 2 when it came out in the 360. I was just surprised at the drop in quality of the textures and cut scenes compared to the Definitive Edition of the first game.

I have stuck with 2 and am liking the characters and story again, so I'll probably finish it. :)

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I played 2 when it came out in the 360. I was just surprised at the drop in quality of the textures and cut scenes compared to the Definitive Edition of the first game.

I have stuck with 2 and am liking the characters and story again, so I'll probably finish it. :)

Yeah as you said previously I think, 2 was a basic upres at most (maybe not even that) whereas 1 was a ground up remake, so not surprised there's a big difference. Shame they didn't do the same for 2, really, as most agree that's the best of the trilogy so it's a shame to see it get short shrift. 

Mafia 2 Definitive Edition is literally just the original 2010 game running in high res on an X1X, so you get 2010 textures and shit. Unlike the Definitive Edition of the first game, which is a from the ground up remake so it looks like a 2020 game.

Also worth noting the Def Ed of the first game was made by the main development team, Hangar 13, who made Mafia 3 and will also make Mafia 4 if there ever is one. Usually such a remake or remaster also serves as a way for the team to get a new engine and new systems up and running before making a brand new game. I wouldn't be surprised if the higher settings on the PC version were made with next-gen consoles in mind.

The remasters of Mafia 2 and 3 were outsourced on the cheap to some outside studio who completely bungled it. They even managed to remove the X1X Enhancements of part 3 and had to patch them back in FFS.

But keeping in mind that you're looking at a 2010 game as is, Mafia 2 looks really sharp and atmospheric for that time. Like Mafia 1 there's no filler, the open world is is a decor to tell the story in. It starts weak with a tutorial set during the WW2 tour in Italy of the main character. But stick with it, and you'll find it has the exact same appeal as Mafia 1. And there's a very very VERY cool connection between the games.

But yeah, it's also buggy. Game froze up on me too a couple of times towards the end. But the story abd characters saw me through and if you stick past the intro, you'll have the same experience. It's an excellent game that deserved far better treatment than those lazy fucks gave it. Even just fixing the bugs and the pop-in.

Fun anecdote: when I fired up Mafia 2 Def Ed at launch I quickly discovered that the dialogue sound was all coming out the right side of my headset. Fuckers didn't even get that right and had to patch the most basic aspect of how sound works.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah as you said previously I think, 2 was a basic upres at most (maybe not even that) whereas 1 was a ground up remake, so not surprised there's a big difference. Shame they didn't do the same for 2, really, as most agree that's the best of the trilogy so it's a shame to see it get short shrift. 

It used to be the best, but.... The remake of 1 is even better imho

The very first fight in Mafia 2 remaster bugged out on me. The bad guy got stuck in scenery outside of the playable area so I couldn't progress. It did not make a good first impression. I'll stick with it though.

The game wasn't on my radar at all in 2010 though. It came as a freebie code with my brand new GTX 465. I gave it a go and completely loved it.

18 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

And done. Gutted it's over. I feel like I've just binged an amazing Netflix series or something. 

I've been reminded of this post after playing a bit of Mafia 1 and subsequently watching an episode of some series called Vis a Vis on Netflix with the missus. It's a popular show I think, but it's also pretty stupid and nowhere near as smart as it pretends to be. Two-dimensional characters behaving according to where the writer wants to take the plot instead of according to their established personality. Characters doing the most obviously stupid things and being amazed time and again about the very predictable consequences. Every cliche you can come up with after watching the last few decades of crime and prison dramas is present and correct. It's sorta entertaining as long as you accept it's dumb as fuck.

Compared to Vis a Vis, which is the average standard of a Netflix show (the truly brilliant ones are of course a lot less common) in my experience, this game overshadows it easily in terms of characterization, plot, drama, etcetera. I'm not arguing that games should be cinematic,hell no, it just struck me how much more I'm enjoying the story in this compared to the proper Netflix series I'm watching right now.

On 27/09/2020 at 22:09, Thor said:

Er ... what's so definitive about this edition of Mafia II? It looks shit.

I bought the digital trilogy at launch, so downloaded II and III immediately and started II as, despite its numerous flaws, I really loved it on 360. This is not so much a definitive edition or remaster as simple port, but ported say from PS3 to PS2. I believe it has been patched since I played it, so hopefully at least you won’t have the ‘2K account not registered warning’ in the top right of the screen the entire time you’re playing. Particularly handy on time sensitive missions as it completely obscures the clock. A mess.

Never played the first Mafia, so am looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, skondo said:

I bought the digital trilogy at launch, so downloaded II and III immediately and started II as, despite its numerous flaws, I really loved it on 360. This is not so much a definitive edition or remaster as simple port, but ported say from PS3 to PS2. I believe it has been patched since I played it, so hopefully at least you won’t have the ‘2K account not registered warning’ in the top right of the screen the entire time you’re playing. Particularly handy on time sensitive missions as it completely obscures the clock. A mess.

Never played the first Mafia, so am looking forward to it.

Yeah, Mafia 1 is so much more polished than II it's not even funny. Mafia II is a mess of bugs and shiitty performance issues. Can't believe I put the difficulty on medium, getting killed very easily and controls on pad are a bit shit.