Mafia Remastered Trilogy - PC - PS4 - XB - Out Now

@Gabe Could you refresh my memory regarding *that* moment please?

I’ve only played 2 and I absolutely loved it. Played it numerous times on 360 and PS3. I remember the hit detection being dreadful and two or three chapters being completely pointless, involving driving to a location, cut scene, drive back again. Also the pointless prison level too. Didn’t stop me loving the game though. Found very few Wanted posters.

Dipped back into Mafia III recently. It’s hampered by lacklustre missions (and too much drive here, do this, drive back) but in terms of atmosphere it’s still enjoyable, with some really great voice acting. Has one of the best open world soundtracks in recent memory too.

As with II, feel like the series is so close to producing a really great game, just needs to learn from some of its shortcomings and piece together the positive elements.

Hopefully the remaster is a gateway to IV, which last I read is due to be set in 70s Vegas. Get that right and there’s massive potential for something special given Sin City’s criminal history and underworld.

3 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I never fully understood the criticism Mafia 3 got. Sure, it could have toned down the repetition, but no open world game I can think of genuinely avoids that. Everyone loves Sony's Spider-Man and that imo is the worst of the lot. Amazing atmosphere, setting, soundtrack and characters though. I prefer it to any of the other open world GTA type games this gen anyway.

Never played the first game so will likely be picking this up.

I kinda loved Mafia 3 but at the sametime there was fuckall 'real' story missions in there. It's a whole game made of sidequests and optional activities from other titles.

Mafia 2 I hope they tone down that mission with the cunts above you throwing molotovs :hate: 

I'd rather have a Mafia 4 where you shoot congressmen and shit, yaass

I loved Mafia back in day and although I might be looking back through rose-tinted glasses, the graphics were amazing at the time (PC) and it had an excellent story and was dripping with atmosphere. Sure, the race was an absolute pain in the arse but I mostly blamed that on the cheating AI. The ending of Mafia has stayed with me through the years as one of those breakout moments in video games. Games up until that point were ride off into the sunset happy-type things and it was so far out of left field to really leave a lasting impression on me. This will be a day one for me...

I loved Mafia 3 but I did get it as part of PSPlus and by the time I played it the multitude of bugs had been ironed out.

But I'm more interested in the first Mafia. I've never been able to play it and apparently it still has issues with new PC's because of something sbout how it renders the world vs more recent games.

That was imo the main problem with Mafia 3. The main story missions are fantastic, but every time the entire thing grinds to a halt and you're forced into hours upon hours of icon checklisting across the map, nothing but sub-Ubisoft sandbox filler content and it's boring as shit. I'd rather they hadn't listened to the silly people who complained they wanted a 'proper sandbox game' after 2. For me the one and only use of the open city as an atmospheric background to the story driven experience, was exactly what made Mafia 2 so great. But oh no, gamers wanted something to do in that city, they wanted it to be like every other game out there - and look what happened. Goddamn you all :(

2 hours ago, tronied said:

I loved Mafia back in day and although I might be looking back through rose-tinted glasses, the graphics were amazing at the time (PC) and it had an excellent story and was dripping with atmosphere. Sure, the race was an absolute pain in the arse but I mostly blamed that on the cheating AI. The ending of Mafia has stayed with me through the years as one of those breakout moments in video games. Games up until that point were ride off into the sunset happy-type things and it was so far out of left field to really leave a lasting impression on me. This will be a day one for me...

This is definitely my recollection of it too, I recall getting it for £17.99 from Play (remember them?!)

It looked amazing for the time and whereas GTA3 went a more cartoony route, Mafia was much more realistic - even if the world itself was devoid of anything to do outside of the missions (and be chased by police). I remember an incredibly tense fight in a thunderstorm at the barn; looking down from high in the roof of a church; discovering the truth at the airport...some really good set-pieces throughout.

The only sour point was the frustration of the race, which I think I managed to somehow fluke my way through in the end. But a really good game. Hmm, perhaps I am interested in this after all.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'd rather they hadn't listened to the silly people who complained they wanted a 'proper sandbox game' after 2. For me the one and only use of the open city as an atmospheric background to the story driven experience, was exactly what made Mafia 2 so great.

A bazillion percent this.  It was not an open world game, it was a tight narrative game set in an open world, and that makes it quite unique to this day.  I'm looking forward to playing the remaster with SUPERGRAFFIX, even though it's still no slouch in the looks department.

So apparently Definitive Editions for Mafia II and III are out today... Mafia following later in the year.

Unless my internet briefly jumped forward in time.

I’m a bit confused. It happens.

Yeah, Mafia III just added itself to my PS4 downloads. That's a touch because I was going to get the DLC when it next appeared on sale in the PS Store.

I have Mafia 3 somewhere. Gave up in it after a few hours as it was a technical mess. I wonder if this patch fixes anything.

Also, is Mafia 2 60fps on X?

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have Mafia 3 somewhere. Gave up in it after a few hours as it was a technical mess. I wonder if this patch fixes anything.

Also, is Mafia 2 60fps on X?

Mafia 3 ran fine on the PS4 when I played it last year. Apparently a lot of the mess has been cleaned up.

I really liked it.

52 minutes ago, Pob said:

Are PS+ people getting a free upgrade to the definitive edition of Mafia 3?

I had and sold the disc version but added 3 to my library when it was included with PS+. Randomly started playing again a few weeks ago, so the Definitive Edition automatically downloaded when I turned on my PS4 earlier.

Two pieces of DLC are also available for free now, but Faster, Baby isn’t included. Not sure if that’s a bug because most reports suggest all the DLC is in the DE.

Just now, Unofficial Who said:

Mafia 3 ran fine on the PS4 when I played it last year. Apparently a lot of the mess has been cleaned up.

I really liked it.

According to Reddit. It's worse now. On X anyway. 

Well so far Mafia 2 is a bit of a mess really. On the Xbox at least, the sound in the cutscenes is broken so speech only comes out of the left speaker. There is a ton of pop in with roadside objects.....bushes, trees and parked cars appearing a few feet in front of you. It feels like they have simply increased the resolution from the original, and that's about it. It would have been nice if the same care and attention had been given to it as appears to be being given to the original Mafia. I can't recall who it said did the updated versions, but I'd never heard of them before.

People on Twitter also complaining that they can't progress past the first mission. 

How does the 'upgrade' work on Steam then? I haven't got the game installed.  On the store page it says the definitive edition is already in my library, but in that I only get the option to install the classic version.  If I download that will it automatically update to the new one?

I don't want to waste my PRECIOUS TIME downloading the original version otherwise.  I mean, it might take ten minutes.  Christ.

Edit - click 'play now'

Looks like the Mafia 1 Remaster has been bumped up to August, and will be available as a standalone game:

43867_full.jpg?v=MjAyMC0wNS0yMCAxNzoyNDo

However on the same day you will also be able to buy the Mafia Trilogy which includes the remake of 1, the remaster of 2, and the repressed 3. All DLC is included

43869_full.jpg?v=MjAyMC0wNS0yMCAxNzoyNjo

Dipped into 3 to get the DLC; still a bug where one is locked behind a paywall. PS4 Pro sounded like it was going to take off while in the menus, loudest I’ve ever heard it, which is nice.

Still, I enjoyed Mafia III, so despite this I’m pleased to have an excuse to go back to the Bayou. Just might play with the Pro in a fridge.

I had forgotten quite how buggy Mafia 2 is. Mid level cut scene wouldn’t start because a cop was stuck behind a door. Also sneaked up behind a cop for a silent kill and he stood up to walk away just as I pressed circle.  Vito’s arms locked around nothing as the stranglehold animation played out and the cop reached for his neck, struggled and collapsed to the floor despite the fact that I was nowhere near him.

• 1 month later...
  • Down by Law changed the title to Mafia Remastered Trilogy - PC - PS4 - XB - Out Now