Sim Racing Central

12 hours ago, davejm said:

What did you get? I'm wondering whether to get some gloves for the same reason.  Although it is nice using the alcantara wheel as it is.

So... having bought the wheel and play seat, my wife is watching my spend ;)

I bought a pair of Wulfsport Attack motocross gloves on eBay for a tenner.  A tenner was as much as I felt comfortable spending at the moment!

I was looking for something with not that much in the way of silicone / grips on the palm, and little padding too.

I was thinking OMP KS-3 karting gloves with suede palms were maybe the best option, but they are about £35 so over my wife-friendly budget. I was worried they may be a little warm for indoors too.

I was tempted by these unbranded karting gloves for a fiver, but wasn't convinced enough to hit the buy button.

I was also tempted by ventilated lightweight summer cycling gloves, Alpinestars F-Lite in particular, but some reviews on cycling sites said the stitching split after a couple of uses (<£15).

Others that look like the might be worth a go:

Mechanix Vent come up a lot on sim racing websites, but I think they are easier to get cheap in the US - these are generic multi use gloves, used in everything from airsoft to driving (£25-30)

Sparco Meca 3 (mechanic gloves apparently) look good too (£25)

15 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Gloves lol, you guys :lol: 

it's all about this...

1 minute ago, davejm said:

For me, it's more about making sure the wheel doesn't get sweat stained so that it retains its value for when I get frustrated enough with sim racing to give up and sell my gear! :D

I've seen a video suggesting that they help when using some of the more fierce direct drive wheels, but that doesn't apply to me.

But you won't see me wearing gloves (or a helmet) for immersion reasons ;)

I hate wearing gloves for anything.  Even working on my car my box of nitrile gloves sit on my workbench rather than on my hands, never wear gardening gloves, only wear cycling gloves in winter etc.    

I don't have driving gloves for my actual car.  It has a leather wheel.  If it had an alcantara wheel, I'd have gloves to protect that too..

I do put my driving shoes on to play GT Sport though...

10 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I don't have driving gloves for my actual car.  It has a leather wheel.  If it had an alcantara wheel, I'd have gloves to protect that too..

This probably belongs in the "Embarrassing things you didn't know" thread but until just now, I always thought Alcantara was leather!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

Alcantara is the brand name of a common synthetic textile material. It has a soft, suede-like microfiber pile and is noted for its durability. Alcantara is commonly seen in automotive applications, as a substitute for leather and vinyl in vehicle interior trim.

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane, giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be erroneously identified as such.

Yeah, looks like alcantara is pretty durable.  So I think that negates the point of gloves for me, reading about it.  It feels so nice and fragile!  I guess that's the point.  I didn't really know anything about it until now.

Well, the real life point is that alcantara gives better grip against gloves.

Sim wheels simply use alcantara to look and feel like real wheels, then no real racer can drive without gloves as they must wear them for safety reasons.

Suede was used for racing wheels for years this reason (along with suede gloves), more grip between the gloves and the wheel means you can use a lighter touch on the wheel, which i turn means you feel more. 

So, we have a situation where sim racing allows something that real racing doesn't - bare hands.

The question is, is the grip an advantage that you want, or is skin to alcantara just as grippy?

Does wearing gloves reduce the feeling making the experience worse?

I'm keen to see, and still worry about sweaty hands, and to be honest, don't really see me properly cleaning my racing wheel all that often too!

On the grip thing, I find I'm tucking my thumbs in on the wheel (I always use 9 and 3 hand position) which disadvantages me when trying to catch a slide, so consciously change to thumbs up. 

Anecdotally, the feedback from the Fanatec CSL Elite in GT Sport is enhanced / stronger / heavier than the feedback when driving (and spinning....) an actual Lotus Elise S1 (shame it's not in GT Sport for comparison), and I think I reduced it to 80% !

This is my current wheel, FWIW. Formula Rim Carbon fitted to the CSL Elite base unit. Really comfortable wheel and the buttons are nicely placed for use. Then again, given the price of the thing you'd expect them to be :lol:

IMG_3693.thumb.jpg.c3969bdeed9f98e92f7bc48d7e03d833.jpg

Still using my trusty old CSR Elite pedals as I have been since 2012.

How old is it / do you suffer from sweaty palms? ;)

How do you find the F1 shaped wheel?  I guess if you're predominantly doing formula racing it's not much of an issue.

Cost aside, I was more than happy with the round P1 wheel as with the degrees of turn, I felt a round wheel would be ideal.

Also, who doesn't want to pretend to be Senna at Monaco in 88 ;)

As it turns out, with my setup, the top part obscures the bottom of my TV.

Does anyone here stream their sessions online?  I'm not interested in being a streamer or anything, but a couple of mates of mine can't visit (obviously!) but want to see how I'm getting on with my wheel and some of the games, so I'm wondering if I could set up private streaming somehow.  What do people use, Twitch?  Any guidance?  Might be a subject for another thread I suppose!

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Does anyone here stream their sessions online?  I'm not interested in being a streamer or anything, but a couple of mates of mine can't visit (obviously!) but want to see how I'm getting on with my wheel and some of the games, so I'm wondering if I could set up private streaming somehow.  What do people use, Twitch?  Any guidance?  Might be a subject for another thread I suppose!

Honestly I'd keep it simple. Get a tripod to hold your phone, position it behind you and looking in from the side, over your shoulder-ish (so the camera can see your screen and the wheel in front of it) and then just do an ordinary video call. Use a Bluetooth headset so you can chat to them while you drive. Quick, easy and uses stuff you probably already have. 

23 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Honestly I'd keep it simple. Get a tripod to hold your phone, position it behind you and looking in from the side, over your shoulder-ish (so the camera can see your screen and the wheel in front of it) and then just do an ordinary video call. Use a Bluetooth headset so you can chat to them while you drive. Quick, easy and uses stuff you probably already have. 

Cool, I've already mounted the phone to the back of the chair for a video I did previously... so that's an option.

RE: Gloves (and boots)

I got a pair of actual Sparco racing gloves (FIA-grade) on sale last year, for around 40 quid. Don't always use them but often do when racing for an entire evening. Just works well with my Alcantara-clad TM 599XX wheel :)

There's no shame in using them, many pro sim racers and actual race car drivers do the same thing nowadays. It's just about replicating that feel, as well as preventing any minor errors due to sweatiness or possible blistering in your hands.

Now, I also used my FIA-grade racing boots a few times (which I already had for real-life rally co-driving), but those don't gel well with the relatively flimsy Thrustmaster pedals.

But were I to use load-cell brake pedals, I would most definitely put the boots on again as just using socks on those doesn't really cut it.

13 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Hang on McSpeed!

Real life rally CO DRIVING? You wear Racing boots... to hold a map?

Presumably in case the map catches fire? :D 

I'm making jokes about it, but I don't know why.  Co-driving to me is some magical art that, and must be absolutely thrilling, and equally terrifying all at once.  Lots of respect!

I thought about being a socks racer (no load cells here) but my feet felt cold after 1 lap, so on went my Puma Speed Cats, or pixie shoes as I call them, thin soles for more feeling, though I suspect socks and a warmer room are probably the better choice.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm going to defend him and point out the safety equipment regs aren't going to be different because you're in the passenger seat.

Ooh. Let him bite! :lol:

Hi,

I bought the g29 that Beenabadbunny had up and now I'm looking for a stand. 

It needs to be reasonable in price prob max £100, be quite compact and fold away when not in use. I'll be using a chair from my dining table due to the availabile space I have. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

19 minutes ago, davadvice1 said:

Hi,

I bought the g29 that Beenabadbunny had up and now I'm looking for a stand. 

It needs to be reasonable in price prob max £100, be quite compact and fold away when not in use. I'll be using a chair from my dining table due to the availabile space I have. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

slightly more than $100 but wheel stand pro is my top recommendation. 

11 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

I’ve been using one of these for almost a year without issue. It’s a bit rough and ready but perfectly usable and stable enough in use. 

Well worth the £45

https://www.wheelstandracing.com/

That’s also what I have. 

IMG_1063.thumb.JPG.0f7826b3b981565e5389604a85325533.JPG

First thing I did was to drill holes in the base so I could hard-mount the pedals. I believe the G29 uses ordinary M6 bolts just like the T150 does. 

I also bought some heavy-duty rubber feet for the four bottom corners. It comes with some self-adhesive ones but they're quite lightweight.

Two of the corners have screw holes underneath and two don't. Rather than drill new holes, I used epoxy to attach the two without screws.

My bottom frame was welded up very slightly out of square, so it had a minor wobble at one corner. I just used a couple of extra washers at that corner as a spacer when screwing on the rubber foot, and that makes it solid as a rock.

I've had it for a year now, it's seen regular use and it's done me just fine. Obviously it's absolutely not the best on the market, but for £45 (plus a few pennies' worth of screws and glue) it's a very inexpensive way in.

Edited to add: It's quite upright. I too use a dining chair.

Had a bit of a breakthrough with ACC tonight.  Was making a conscious effort to trail brake, and despite trying it before I could never control the pedals to do it properly.

But this was the first session where I felt like it was coming off, with much better grip in the corners and much faster exit speed as a result.

I'm absolutely hooked on this game.  Did a couple of 30 minute races against the AI (Spa in the Ferrari) and in the second race I really started to feel consistent with the car, and finished 4th after starting from 10th.  Best of all it was a totally clean race so it bumped my safety rating to 56 after having it drop slightly due to some sloppy races the past couple of days.

Hmm. Was playing the Zolder Race in ACC yesterday and I've been doing some laps and despite what we've all said about trail breaking, in modern GT cars trail breaking isn't always necessary or even as effective as certain others series and that element appears to be modelled well in ACC. 

You can actually slow down, come right off the brake and let aero do the work around the corner. The weight shift doesn't really affect any of the cars, regardless of engine position and you don't actually slide as much as you might (unlike the older series where the only aero really came solely from a spoiler that was immature in its design owing to the age of the car series - so in older GT and most other series that arn't aerodynamic its needed).

Track surface and tyre/track temps play a part to so some brake modulation may be required but try it and you'll see what i mean.

In earlier series and car design the weight shift of would likely cause spins so you'd trailbrake to counteract this - but these days modern aero comes into play. Or at least thats whats being modelled - the cars seem to be pitch sensitive or rather - their aero and tyre set up/type allow them to be.

Back on the subject of gloves...

I use thin work gloves for long races to prevent loss of grip due to sweating, and to prevent blisters because the P1 rim that I have has a fully rubber grip which is a bit rough on the skin after a while.

The ones I use have a rubber coating on the palm side, and a breathing fabric on the back side for ventilation. Very comfortable, and because they're thin you can still feel the FFB details in the wheel well, and they're dirt cheap too.

image.png.5568f3899190a86f7efeaa303a64acbd.png

22 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Hmm. Was playing the Zolder Race in ACC yesterday and I've been doing some laps and despite what we've all said about trail breaking, in modern GT cars trail breaking isn't always necessary or even as effective as certain others series and that element appears to be modelled well in ACC. 

You can actually slow down, come right off the brake and let aero do the work around the corner. The weight shift doesn't really affect any of the cars, regardless of engine position and you don't actually slide as much as you might (unlike the older series where the only aero really came solely from a spoiler that was immature in its design owing to the age of the car series - so in older GT and most other series that arn't aerodynamic its needed).

Track surface and tyre/track temps play a part to so some brake modulation may be required but try it and you'll see what i mean.

In earlier series and car design the weight shift of would likely cause spins so you'd trailbrake to counteract this - but these days modern aero comes into play. Or at least thats whats being modelled - the cars seem to be pitch sensitive or rather - their aero and tyre set up/type allow them to be.

Interesting.  In that case my gains are likely more to do with better pedal control, taking better lines etc .. general improvements I suppose.  I'm smoother on the pedals and it feels like I have much more grip.

Yeah, Pedal control not so much as TC and ABS allows you to largely smash the pedals (depending on settings) but defo. learn the lines as Meerman and co said. So brake zones, entry and turning and gearing and exit points. On tracks like Zolder and Nurenburg, elevation play its part too as it throws the car or affects braking. 

Misano is in here and whilst flat and thats a good learner track to master as it has a real decent combination of corners. Some of the corners are faster then you might at first realise (the last left into the home straight for example - you brake early and drive through it at speed).

18 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Hang on McSpeed!

Real life rally CO DRIVING? You wear Racing boots... to hold a map?

:lol:

18 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm going to defend him and point out the safety equipment regs aren't going to be different because you're in the passenger seat.

Exactly :)

3 hours ago, Meerman said:

Back on the subject of gloves...

I use thin work gloves for long races to prevent loss of grip due to sweating, and to prevent blisters because the P1 rim that I have has a fully rubber grip which is a bit rough on the skin after a while.

The ones I use have a rubber coating on the palm side, and a breathing fabric on the back side for ventilation. Very comfortable, and because they're thin you can still feel the FFB details in the wheel well, and they're dirt cheap too.

image.png.5568f3899190a86f7efeaa303a64acbd.png

Interesting! The low price point mostly makes these a nice option :) 

I invested in those actual Sparco racing gloves. Anyone fancying the same but cheaper: many (also amateur) race drivers and teams will have old ones lying around with expired safety grades. If you know any , just ask and I'm sure they'll be happy to gift or sell them for very little.

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Interesting! The low price point mostly makes these a nice option :) 

I'd say the thin, breathing material was the point of interest for me. I don't like to get too hot when sim racing (hence the fan on the floor in front of me. My attic gets hot even in the winter, what with the wheel, TV and computer all generating heat like a bastard.

I use a tower fan to cool me when doing sim stuff at this time of year :) - works pretty well! I did used to use gloves but I lost them somewhere (which is a bastard as they were FIA grade Alpinestars ones I got given as a freebie from one of the old BAR/Honda spring cleans and were awesome).

As for the rim; I actually got the standard CSL Elite Rim with the base unit when I bought it. Figured as it was a perfectly good, round rim then I should pick up the Formula Carbon to give me a bit of variety. Most formula cars, LMP's and even the majority of GT3 cars use formula style wheels now so figured it'd be a good investment.