IGNORED

Sim Racing Central

Meers

That did mention something about custom tracks and cars on a digital marketplace. I dunno, it could just be the auction house from Forza Horizon, it doesn't have to be an NFT particularly. Hopefully.

So tonight I joined the SCB guys for an evening of Raceroom in the Ferrari DTM @ Imola.   Was 2x 20 minute races with the second a reverse grid.

It was really good fun.  15 of us with the majority on Discord so it felt similar to our Thursday racing; which is what I'm looking for, rather than wasting time racing randoms on public lobbies or LFM.

I qualified 7th but didn't know how to do the standing starts so got off the line really slowly.  Ended up getting clipped sending me to the back, but I managed to carve my way through the field (mainly due to others spinning) and finished back in 7th.

Second race was a disaster.  I jumped the start and got a drive through, but I didn't have anything mapped on my wheel to navigate the pit menu so I was stuck in the pits as the game waited for me to confirm the strategy.  It sits you in the pit box until you confirm, apparently.  So it was game over for me 😔

I really enjoyed it though, and the guys seem like a good bunch.  They do racing a few days during the week.  ACC racing on Tuesdays, and Raceroom on Wednesdays and Fridays.   Apparently the Wednesday sessions are randomly generated track and car combos so you don't know what you're racing until the server goes live 😃

https://discord.gg/a6mVBqSb9Y

I'm gonna join them again this Friday.  Looks like it'll be the GTR2s at Watkins Glen based on the voting, but I've been trying out all the combos this week and all brilliant...

Screenshot_20220530-215231.thumb.png.3541a37c05a9ed467b8ef0db12bd6476.png

Having loads of run with RaceRoom.

I've learnt how to do pitstops now too. 😆

Looks pretty interesting, I've been meaning to check out raceroom for a while now. How has it been picking up individual cars and tracks? Can you get them in packs and is there variation in quality?

Yeah you can get car and track packs.  It does seem quite expensive, but they do regular offers.  It worked out at around £40 for me to get all the content when I took the plunge a few months back.

The buying process is a bit convoluted though, to the extent that I've forgotten how you do it now.  So give it a Google.  You have to buy the VIP points, then redeem the points for content.  Rather than buying individual packs or content outright.

No real dip on quality across all the content.  It's an old game, but it feels great to play and looks really sharp in VR due to the older engine.

I was tempted by iRacing a few months ago, and when LFM came around for ACC I thought it sounded wonderful.   But I've realised that racing randoms for ranking points is the opposite of what I want, I just didn't know it.  I'd rather have a community race to look forward to (with you guys on a Thursday, and now I've found the SCB community for RaceRoom).

How did you find iRacing @Count Buffalos?

@EuroVapeSim2... this is the page where you buy VRP...

https://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/list_page?cat=24

It's cheaper to buy points here, then redeem those points for the content packs.

Yeah I doubt I've time for more than our ACC races to be honest, to give them a level of practice that makes it satisfying to me means it's nearly all my gaming time already anyway - I don't have a lot!

With the other games I'm more interested in racing the proper unusual stuff, bangers on dirt tracks or whatever but it'd have to only ever be casual.

I was tempted by iRacing a few months ago, and when LFM came around for ACC I thought it sounded wonderful.   But I've realised that racing randoms for ranking points is the opposite of what I want, I just didn't know it.  I'd rather have a community race to look forward to (with you guys on a Thursday, and now I've found the SCB community for RaceRoom).

I wouldn't disagree with that Dave. I have to say, I really enjoyed my time with it and spent more money than a full price game buying tracks and cars. However, I've found the ranking / scoring system to be weirdly pressuring. Generally speaking, I found the single seaters easier to race well in than other cars. That meant that I raced more and more in single seaters just to maintain my iRating and every time I tried other cars I'd get punted and lost a lot of points. This in turn drove me back to the single seaters again - a bit of a vicious circle. 

On a positive note, I liked the driving model in the game and once I was out of the Rookie leagues the racing was generally quite fair. I also quite liked all of the weird tracks (mainly US!) that aren't in other games - infield circuits in ovals for example. However, my sub is due to expire and I'm not sure that I'll be renewing at this point. Although the idea of a monthly sub just to race sticks in the craw a little, it's more to do with the weird pressure I felt to maintain iRating and safety rating. 

12 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I wouldn't disagree with that Dave. I have to say, I really enjoyed my time with it and spent more money than a full price game buying tracks and cars. However, I've found the ranking / scoring system to be weirdly pressuring. Generally speaking, I found the single seaters easier to race well in than other cars. That meant that I raced more and more in single seaters just to maintain my iRating and every time I tried other cars I'd get punted and lost a lot of points. This in turn drove me back to the single seaters again - a bit of a vicious circle. 

On a positive note, I liked the driving model in the game and once I was out of the Rookie leagues the racing was generally quite fair. I also quite liked all of the weird tracks (mainly US!) that aren't in other games - infield circuits in ovals for example. However, my sub is due to expire and I'm not sure that I'll be renewing at this point. Although the idea of a monthly sub just to race sticks in the craw a little, it's more to do with the weird pressure I felt to maintain iRating and safety rating. 

What I personally dont like in iRacing and LFM is the statistics. I've played played games that track player statistics very precisely and/or do rankings and because I'm quite competitive those stats soon start giving me pressure to perform. As nice as statistics and rankings are I may suddenly no longer want to not play or race unprepared or alone or just for fun on a Friday evening in fear of not performing. Sooner or later I'll just stop. Ive played grinding games and dont want to anymore. I'll rather lap alone in a practice session, do single events or just play single player or something that doesnt track stats.

That said there I did enjoy iRacing enduros and they also have some fun unranked series such as NASCAR Trucks.

Yeah same here, even watching my ACC 'SR' score drop when I'm trying to have a relatively casual in-AI practice session can be dispiriting enough, the pressure on my LFM scores and how getting punted from behind could scupper both race and rating stopped me wanting to do that. I keep thinking I'll get back on it and then I look at the races and realise I'll want a good bit of time to 'warm up' before joining their server and the stress of getting through the traffic unscathed changes my mind.

44 minutes ago, milko said:

With the other games I'm more interested in racing the proper unusual stuff, bangers on dirt tracks or whatever but it'd have to only ever be casual.

This is why I joined the SCB race last Friday, and why I want to join them again on Friday.  It's all just for fun without the ranking points, and they seem a good bunch on Discord.