IGNORED

Sim Racing Central

Meers

29 minutes ago, milko said:

I was thinking about that bundle too, but it would literally only be for AMS2 so would maybe make more sense to wait for an individual sale bundle on that and DLC. It's based on the Project Cars 2 engine I think?

Yep, PC2 graphics engine with different handling model as I understand it.

It's good. It actually uses the (really feeble) rumble in the Fanatec pedals too. It's a more visceral racing experience, especially in VR. As @Valver says, it runs really well too. Add in three pedals and a H-shifter and it's scary sometimes.

I'd be up for some online races with fellow 'mukers. (Not even tried it online yet!) 

looking around, the base AMS2 has never been as cheap as the humble bundle so I think I'll pick it up - looks like the DLC does get sales if any of that gets tempting. Quite fancy some of the more older car stuff on there (VW beetles and whatnot) for a laugh.

Means I'll have an ACC code going spare for anyone that promises to come along to a rllmuk race :eyebrows:

Bought the bundle for AMS2.  I tried it recently during a free trial, and it didn't leave a good impression.   The free track and car combo they featured was awful, with nasty plain graphics (really bad textures) and even with options turned up there was terrible shimmering and aliasing.    I see people mention that it's a looker (especially with the weather transitions), so I assumed either the track they featured just had bad textures or that I'm just more sensitive to the aliasing issues than most.   It does look good in videos though, so I'd had it in mind to try it again.  So now I can.

anybody here used a Next Level Racing cockpit? Someone nearby's ebaying their "GT Ultimate" rig with quite poor photos and description so the price looks quite good. Looks like they don't make it anymore, superseded by GTtrack, I'm tempted to try and find room for it.

24 minutes ago, milko said:

anybody here used a Next Level Racing cockpit? Someone nearby's ebaying their "GT Ultimate" rig with quite poor photos and description so the price looks quite good. Looks like they don't make it anymore, superseded by GTtrack, I'm tempted to try and find room for it.

How much is it?  The GT Ultimate is basically their wheel stand with their seat bolted on I think, which they sell as separate units now.  The wheel stand part seems solid, I bought it for @jame for Christmas and we were impressed at now rigid it was.

The pedal tray has some reinforcing arms, which are optional to install so I'd probably make sure those are included.  Otherwise there might be some flex with your load cells.  You'll probably get some flex anyway, but it's all relative.

yeah it's gonna be better than the wheel stand pro I'm sure, though that does a reasonable job. A whole bunch of room-swapping coming up as my loft extension gets built so as part of that if I'm not going to have my little sofa I'll need some sort of seat alternative. I think. Maybe this!

Looks like it's being run with some decent Fanatec kit (inverted pedals and everything) so hopefully it's the reinforced one.

1 hour ago, milko said:

Just got to pass the wife test

incredibly, I introduced this idea via the conversation format of working out our new room layouts after the loft conversion, segued carefully into ‘thinking about buying something’ and she immediately replied “Is it a stupid little car thing?”. I guess after all these years she really does know me quite well. :lol:

On 12/03/2022 at 14:00, milko said:

incredibly, I introduced this idea via the conversation format of working out our new room layouts after the loft conversion, segued carefully into ‘thinking about buying something’ and she immediately replied “Is it a stupid little car thing?”. I guess after all these years she really does know me quite well. :lol:

God damn it man, are all wives the same over the world or something? :lol:

Me: "Did you bring the laptop back home?" (she works 'home' at her sister's whilst she babysits the kids for a few hours a day)
She: "No I left it there"
Me: "Ah I wanted to do a bit of practicing tonight"
She: "Ok, well you could pick it up at my sister's later" (she lives down the block from us)
Me: "Yeah but it's such a hassle every time. It'd be easier if I..."
She: "No"
Me: 😐

We now agreed that I buy a couple of parts every month. Case, PSU and RAM are on their way. 😅

That looks like they paid a bit more than the £175 I did for my 'new' one, hoping to pick up this weekend assuming I've gotten over this covid. He's not even got VR!

In all seriousness I think if you've sufficiently large monitors (and those Aston ones look beefy!) then it might be better having a wraparound setup like that. Dunno. Actually they're set up so far from the steering wheel, maybe not. I suppose even high-end VR on a motion rig isn't exactly going to match the immersion when you've spent so many hours doing it for real. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good - but I think UE5 is going to have the same issues with VR -  having horrible VR performance because it uses deferred rendering.

🤞

ACC's successor, Assetto Corsa 2 - is claimed to be ditching UE for this reason...

I looked there before I asked! It doesn't seem to say much other than ESPORTS! RACING SIM!

But like, what's going to be in it. Porsches, presumably, there's pictures of those everywhere. But that was all I could glean. Oh and something about 'Real Digital Ownership' which sounds a bit like NFTs but isn't necessarily.

...you know, you've got a damned good point!  It doesn't say what cars are in at all does it!  just Porsches are shown...  Hmm

Worrying NFT vibes from the "your purchases are your own and you can resell your cars" bit too.