Sim Racing Central

1 hour ago, Meerman said:

The Fanatec CSL base is compatible with PC, PS4 and XBO. You can switch between the platforms with the 'mode' button (green light for Xbox, red light for PC, blue light for PS4).

The 'XBO ready' tag means that you will need a rim that is compatible with the XBO (because it only ships with the PS4/PC rim these days), so that would be the P1. Or you could get the XBO hub (expensive!) which makes the PS4/PC rim compatible with the XBO.

I hope that makes sense. I don't know much about Thrustmaster or Logotech, so maybe someone else can help with those?

This makes perfect sense thank you!  I'll post Fanatec's response below, and you'll see how much clearer yours is!!

As for Thrustmaster and Logitech, it seems that I'd have to settle for 2 separate wheels if I wanted both platforms, which then means I'd have a pair of lower quality wheels OR I forget about my love for Forza (on a pad) and re-buy some games for PS4, which is probably the more sensible option, and settle for a G29 even if it's over twice the price it was last year!

The outlay of the CSL base + P1 rim + CSL pedals (basic 2 pedal) and F1 2020 for Xbox One for 1 EUR of around £650 (inc VAT and delivery, I hadn't factored in delivery above)

Fanatec said (in response to me asking if the CSL base + P1 Xbox rim + CSL pedals would give me a 3 platform setup). 

thank you for your interest.

The way our ecosystem works is that PS4 compatibility is achieved with a Sony security chip in the wheel base, and Xbox One compatibility is achieved with a Microsoft security chip in the steering wheel. Only PS4-licensed wheel bases have this Sony chip, and only Xbox One-licensed steering wheels have the Microsoft chip. Once you are using a Fanatec system that includes one of these devices, it enables Xbox One or PS4 compatibility for every connected Fanatec product.

If we take the example of the CSL Elite F1 Set, this uses the CSL Elite Wheel Base +, which is a PS4-licensed wheel base containing the Sony security chip. When you connect the included ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 Esports and the CSL Elite Pedals (which are not associated with a particular platform), these two components become PS4 compatible as well. If you were to connect other devices such as the ClubSport Shifter or ClubSport Handbrake to this wheel base, these products also become PS4 compatible.

If you wish you make any of our hardware Xbox One compatible, then you must use an Xbox One-licensed steering wheel. Once you connect such a wheel, everything becomes Xbox One compatible. So in the case of the F1 Set, because it uses a Sony-licensed wheel base, if you use an Xbox One steering wheel with it, you are creating a combination of hardware that works on both Xbox One and PS4. Our ecosystem is the only one that allows this functionality (other hardware manufacturers require a separate wheel base for PS4 and Xbox One).

On PC, everything is more straightforward. Everything works on PC, in any combination, because there are no licensing requirements. So if you were to combine an Xbox One-licensed steering wheel with a PS4-licensed wheel base, all the connected Fanatec hardware would be compatible with Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Note about the platform labels: All our product thumbnails are labelled 'PC', and some of them are labelled 'Xbox One', 'Xbox One Ready', and 'PS4' and 'PS4 Ready'. If it just says the platform name, it is compatible with this platform 'out of the box'. If it is described as 'Ready', it can be given platform compatibility when used with a licensed product. For example, our Xbox One-licensed steering wheels are marked 'Xbox One' because they work on Xbox One out of the box, and also 'PS4 Ready' because they can be used on PS4 but only with a

PS4-licensed wheel base. Our PS4-licensed wheel bases are marked 'PS4' because they work on PS4 out of the box, and also 'Xbox One Ready' because they can be used on Xbox One but only with an Xbox One-licensed steering wheel

Hiya all' I'm still into sims, but i've built a music studio and my wheel doesn't quite go with the keyboard rig. I need to work something out.

I'm kinda waiting for next gen and playing with non-forumites. Gutted i can't really make Joe's GT events - i enjoyed GT but i can't play it with DS  triggers - they're shite. I could squeeze a stone and get more from it.

Time is another factor. shifts, family. 

3 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Also @Meerman, even though you've already moved on, can I just thank you for properly introducing me to (semi-)realistic racing games on consoles. If it wasn't for our online Forza shenanigans on Xbox 360 (over 10 years ago already!), maybe I would never have had such a nice and warm introduction to the joys of racing this way on rllmuk!

Ah that's nice to know, Joe. Thanks.

If you ever need another spreadsheet, let me know. I'm even more skilled now. :D

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

This makes perfect sense thank you!  I'll post Fanatec's response below, and you'll see how much clearer yours is!!

Ah nice, so that's confirmed then. Made your mind up yet? 

1 hour ago, Dimahoo said:

Hiya all' I'm still into sims, but i've built a music studio and my wheel doesn't quite go with the keyboard rig. I need to work something out.

I'm kinda waiting for next gen and playing with non-forumites. Gutted i can't really make Joe's GT events - i enjoyed GT but i can't play it with DS  triggers - they're shite. I could squeeze a stone and get more from it.

Time is another factor. shifts, family. 

Hi man, good to hear from you again. I know where you're from, got less time myself but that doesn't matter. Family life is great. ^_^

17 minutes ago, Meerman said:

Ah nice, so that's confirmed then. Made your mind up yet? 

Wrestling with seat/stands now, and the fact I found a used g29 with seat for a good price, and not a huge amount more than just the seat new, but can’t get it as it’s 60 miles away and lock down!

1 hour ago, morcs said:

B452F0DD-B9C3-4D3D-A041-735F134DFAD3.jpeg.f8f210a0e1b8e3db5a8dcd81a6561651.jpeg

I live alone :lol: 

The dark stain is where I recently knocked over a full glass of red wine whilst dismounting :facepalm:

Looks tidy! And red wine during racing? Classy. :D 

Use some cooking/cleaning vinegar (the clear stuff) on that stain, and a fibre cloth. ;) 

Nice to see this thread is pretty busy. 

I've been carrying on with iRacing since my last post. Mixed results - I thought improving my iRating would also mean racing better drivers, but whilst there are fast people in my splits now there are still some idiots that seem intent on winning it in the first corner. I've been taken out on multiple occasions as a result. 

How do I post pics on this forum? Never have got the hang of it but will share my current setup if someone can give me some help! 

You can usually get large amounts of the clear vinegar for not much from local Asian Supermarkets too. I think a 5 little bottle is about 4 quid in ours. Massive bag of bicarb is also cheap, and both great for so many things from cleaning, drain unblocking, making cakes and chips ;)

1 minute ago, Marmite said:

How do I post pics on this forum? Never have got the hang of it but will share my current setup if someone can give me some help! 

Click the add an attachment link when posting and on mobile it’ll let you use camera or attach a picture.

The forum has a file size limit though, so I usually take a photo on my phone, then screenshot it and crop the photo to reduce the size first

Just now, Freeman said:

Click the add an attachment link when posting and on mobile it’ll let you use camera or attach a picture.

The forum has a file size limit though, so I usually take a photo on my phone, then screenshot it and crop the photo to reduce the size first

Ok, that sounds do-able! 

The setup continues... 

Instead of fixing the pedals with cable ties, I managed to find 2 bolts that fit the mounting holes exactly.  So I drilled the necessary holes in the keyboard shelf pedal tray and they're secure now...

IMG_20200520_092043.thumb.jpg.3365193d448b25896a2589046340674e.jpg

IMG_20200520_093838.thumb.jpg.7b50e506f2f0d093898cd00167d76057.jpg

IMG_20200520_095232.thumb.jpg.a9d308feb0bf70fc5e913478becfecbf.jpg

So these streams are great. He's done a ton now. It applies I think to all sims. 

He also does TL:DW (too long; didn't watch) clips from the streams. Absolutely superb content from the lead handling guy at Kunos on ACC.

Here's an example TL;DW

1 hour ago, Marmite said:

I've been carrying on with iRacing since my last post. Mixed results - I thought improving my iRating would also mean racing better drivers, but whilst there are fast people in my splits now there are still some idiots that seem intent on winning it in the first corner. I've been taken out on multiple occasions as a result. 

I thought the subscription model was put in place to prevent half-arsers from joining?

38 minutes ago, davejm said:

Holy fck it's here!...

IMG_20200520_105154.thumb.jpg.70a4b92b3969a782da6f4ff10ffa7269.jpg

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

45 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

They're ordinary M6 bolts aren't they? I did a similar thing to bolt mine to my wheel stand base.

Having them attached makes a whole world of difference.

Indeed, bolt that stuff firmly in place! :blah:

All set up.  I've just got to learn how to use it now :D  Tried a few laps in F1 2019 and found it very difficult to string a lap together.

Assetto Corza Competizione... I was all over the place !!  The force feedback in that game is fierce.

IMG_20200520_125122.thumb.jpg.4cafe81779746f5dfd2156cc0fbd1369.jpg

Awesome :) - you'll get used to it quick enough. Kind of like riding a bike really. The feeling once you begin to nail laps perfectly and then string them together is second-to-none.

I remember a league race back in... 2012 I think. Racing against the guys here on F1 2012 at Interlagos. Ayrton Senna always said during qualifying for Monaco 1988 he was in the zone; for me, this league race was that moment. Each lap I'd arrive into the first corner and manage to squeeze the brake pedal just enough each time that I'd get a really tiny, gentle lock on the inside wheel that would help me turn the car in a little extra. The whole race flew by and was definitely the finest of my handful of RLLMUK F1 wins.

A few months before this I'd upgraded from a cheaper Microsoft-branded 360 wheel to my Fanatec CSR Elite and had spent months being quite inconsistent, but gradually I got better and better and once it clicked I was having the time of my life.

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

All set up.  I've just got to learn how to use it now :D  Tried a few laps in F1 2019 and found it very difficult to string a lap together.

The default wheel settings in Codemasters games are fairly widely reviled. Have a search for a setup guide for your specific model of wheel (or any similar Thrustmaster wheel should do), it'll make a world of difference. On the default settings you'll find the car just will not turn.

11 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

The default wheel settings in Codemasters games are fairly widely reviled. Have a search for a setup guide for your specific model of wheel (or any similar Thrustmaster wheel should do), it'll make a world of difference. On the default settings you'll find the car just will not turn.

Yep, I followed a guide for Thrustmaster & in-game settings and changed the wheel mode to 360 degrees (from 1080).  It handles really nicely; it's just me getting used to it all.  I'm still finding it tricky doing manual shifting (albeit with the paddles).  I've turned off all the braking line stuff too so I need to get to know the tracks. 

33 minutes ago, davejm said:

Assetto Corza Competizione... I was all over the place !!  The force feedback in that game is fierce.

IMG_20200520_125122.thumb.jpg.4cafe81779746f5dfd2156cc0fbd1369.jpg

That's fantastic!

Can you adjust settings in-wheel as well? If so, I'd leave them default and tweak everything in-game. If it need more oomp then you can add to it with the in-wheel settings.

My P1 rim allows for 5 seperate setups, so I've got one for road cars (900˚), GT cars (720˚), Rally (1080˚), Formula cars (360˚) with one spare for experimenting.

I can change angle of rotation between 5 different settings using L or R d-pad and the mode button on the wheel... so I can do without having to go into the menus, which is nice.  There are driver level wheel settings but it looks like these are pretty much standard across games and then people use the in-game settings to adjust further.

3 hours ago, Meerman said:

I thought the subscription model was put in place to prevent half-arsers from joining?

I guess if you signed up for a cheap month or two then you might not give a sh*t. I think you get people doing this stuff no matter what the model. I got shunted in a rolling start last night, which was a new low <_<

7 minutes ago, Marmite said:

I guess if you signed up for a cheap month or two then you might not give a sh*t. I think you get people doing this stuff no matter what the model. I got shunted in a rolling start last night, which was a new low <_<

Well I was considering dipping my toe in iRacing, but reading this I think I'll refrain from it. :hmm:

I think a GT style license mode would be a better way to keep the idiots away. Make it long, difficult and tedious. The serious people will have enough patience to stick with it until a license is awarded, the idiots will give up out of sheer boredom. :eyebrows:

I'm still quite new to it and to be fair that race last night had some lower ranked people behind me. It's worth dipping your toes in I reckon, just to see if its for you (let me know if you do and I can send you a referral code :eyebrows:).

To provide some balance, I've had some incredible laps of consistent pace with front runners, biding my time in order to spot a moment to make a pass without risking a collision. When it's good it's really good (and that's just in the free MX5's). 

3 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Adding a shoutout to two of our old F1/Forza racing buddies @Moodmon and @sixbuttons - hoping they are still well and turning laps (and stomachs).

Still here, mostly lurking the F1 thread and COVID folder.  Not done any racing in ages, unless grinding out stuff in Destiny is a race.  Thanks for checking up on me, but don't worry - I'm still here throwing medicines at people.

3 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

At least some things never change.