Sim Racing Central

Meers

I constantly look at Fanatec's site and get utterly baffled as to what you'd have to actually buy. The wizard is useless, putting products of entirely the wrong category on each page and offering me a wheel when I had in fact, already bought a wheel.

And then you get

image.thumb.png.9644a2d0322cb499076f0cdbe45ea39d.png

Excellent... you know what I've selected, tell me if I need the fucking thing.

17 hours ago, davejm said:

My second wheel rim has arrived.  Quality of this thing is immense!  Can't wait for my CSL DD now before I can use it :D

PXL_20210813_195149588.thumb.jpg.57de979d057b834c96d3d5494c66d256.jpg

I’m seriously considering getting one. How long did it take from ordering?

42 minutes ago, mexos said:

I’m seriously considering getting one. How long did it take from ordering?

I ordered beginning of June when they started taking the pre-orders for this wheel rim.  It was listed as expected in September, so it's arrived a month or so early.

It's now showing availability date as Jan 19, 2022.

The Xbox variant is in-stock though:-

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-v2.5-x

If you're wondering how long they take to ship for in-stock items; the Porsche wheel rim I ordered took 7 days to arrive from date of order.

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

I ordered beginning of June when they started taking the pre-orders for this wheel rim.  It was listed as expected in September, so it's arrived a month or so early.

It's now showing availability date as Jan 19, 2022.

The Xbox variant is in-stock though:-

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-v2.5-x

If you're wondering how long they take to ship for in-stock items; the Porsche wheel rim I ordered took 7 days to arrive from date of order.

Did you have to pay any wacky Brexit related import taxes on top of the Fanatec price?

12 minutes ago, Valver said:

Did you have to pay any wacky Brexit related import taxes on top of the Fanatec price?

They take the VAT off at checkout, which you have to pay UPS instead.  So it works out roughly the same.

@Valver Just worked out exactly what I paid for that wheel rim, and it was £365 in total (wheel, shipping, VAT and UPS handling charge). 

So for a €350 wheel rim that does mean a bit of a chunk extra on top of the listed price.

My second wheel has also arrived!

IMG_2088.jpg.064bd869435fd44676f45dc1989be264.jpg

I did it the other way round though, starting with the Formula wheel, and recently adding the WRC round one. Felt weird driving a 60's mini with a hi tech wheel! Also 'needed' a round wheel for drifting and rallying. Honest guv'

I've been getting all my Fanatec stuff from these guys in Ireland - https://digital-motorsports.com/

Really impressed. Paid extra for DHL express delivery and my WRC wheel took less than 24hrs from 'place order' to it arriving here in Kent.

25 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Those of you who own the cool stuff.

image.thumb.png.67ef5cc64fa1bfa4aaff9c833110ae9b.png

Is this a minimum complete setup?

Yep, absolutely.  I found the website overly complicated when using the 'build wizard' thingy and I don't really understand how the hub system works; but what you have there is enough for a complete setup. 

On 11/08/2021 at 17:54, EuroVapeSim2 said:

This looks pretty slick actually, I've struggled to justify the price of some shifters when they will only be used sporadically but for that price I just ordered one.

I might try to spray paint the shell black when it arrives.

So the shifter arrived today, 1 week and 1 day shipping from China was impressive.

20210819_210211.thumb.jpg.5335c64a6ee09af18b165d5dcaafdd79.jpg

It was very easy to install, there was 2 screws which went into the base on the bottom side. So far I only mapped the gears in AC, it was straightforward, took a mazda mx5 and mini around for a couple laps for a first test drive.

The heaviness of the shifts is nice feels good when driving but it's not difficult to move it.

I haven't driven a manual in a few years so I need to get used to it again, I kept skipping gears in the first couple laps.

It is loud when it shifts and already my girlfriend is not a fan of the sound, there's already a curfew it can be used until.

I am going to look at the mechanism and see where the noise is coming from and try place a piece of rubber something soft to dampen the sound a bit.

20210819_210133.thumb.jpg.201036341921e714d1b6cb60dc5474bd.jpg

Terrible cable management I know.

I think its the metal parts snapping against each other which makes the most noise, it will always be loud mechanism but I think it can be improved a bit.

Ha yeah that's the LED light for my girlfriends houseplant nursery, I don't even notice it when I'm in the room but it really shows up on the photos.

4 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Ha yeah that's the LED light for my girlfriends houseplant nursery, I don't even notice it when I'm in the room but it really shows up on the photos.

And here I was thinking you were all RGB'd up over there. 😄

It gives a nice ambiance, reminds me a bit of GamerMuscle's room.

No where near enough LEDs to be GamerMuscle's room, I can still see a little bit of the white paint on the wall. 🤣

I'm upgrading the rig to a sim-lab one soon-ish and have thought about putting some minimal RGB under the frame but I don't see myself ever going full blast with the lights.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

First wave CSL-DD pre-orders are shipping, a few weeks early.  I'm in wave 2, but hopefully not too long to wait now.

Oh my!!

What does your available date show as at the moment Dave?  Mine is 19th October.

19 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Oh my!!

What does your available date show as at the moment Dave?  Mine is 19th October.

Mine shows as 16th September.  It was originally October sometime, but changed somewhere along the line.  So mine is now similar to what the other first wave peeps were expecting, only they're now getting shipped out early.  

I'm currently paralysed by "Upgrade VR" or "Upgrade wheel" first.

I've got a Logitech G920 and a first-gen Vive so both are "Perfectly competent but not the best now" :D

Both there would be a decent upgrade. An Index or a Vive Pro would massively reduce "screen door" and "God rays" and the Logitech is obviously a belt driven "Budget" wheel, albeit a pretty good one.

And actually if you go for that fantatec bundle I posted it's about the same upgrade cost.

I'll do both at some point I imagine.  I'm leaning towards the VR simply because I can use it for more things.

Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in a Thrustmaster TS-PC with Ferrari Challenge Evo wheel, plus the Open Wheel rim, I'll be looking to offload in due course. 

I'll get the new Fanatec kit bedded in (to make sure it all works fine and I'm happy with it) before doing so, so we're talking a few months.  But I'd rather do a super deal to someone on the forum if possible.

In other news, I can't stop spending money on gear 😆 With the Fanatec CSL-DD I'm losing the two buttons on the wheel base itself which I use for ignition and engine start/stop; so I've bought myself one of those smaller stream decks which I'll attach to the rig on the left or right of the wheel.

u_10191500.thumb.jpg.b6c9bbc64b01b0972ab692bd827bd621.jpg

Considering I'm in VR this is possibly overkill, but i don't want those buttons bound to the wheel so there we are.  Hopefully I can sort the muscle memory so I can easily reach for these buttons.

I can use the other buttons for pasting the server name and password too, which is always a pain in VR.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in a Thrustmaster TS-PC with Ferrari Challenge Evo wheel, plus the Open Wheel rim, I'll be looking to offload in due course. 

I remain tempted!

Just now, davejm said:

Nice, did we speak about this before? 😆 If so you can have first dibs (if I haven't already said the same to anyone else) 😬

Sorta talked of it when you first decided on the Fanatec DD I think, nothing legally binding 😉. I need to do the maths on whether I should just join in that train really but an impending loft conversion means I have to watch the spending. 

56 minutes ago, davejm said:

PXL_20210821_123339380.thumb.jpg.a277cc82caa51278899c53ac988f4774.jpg

PXL_20210821_123412982.thumb.jpg.ca336e2b3fab9647328bc61ffab29645.jpg

Top right button enters server name, bottom right enters password 😀

Ha, I've been looking at button boxes myself for exactly the same reason 🤣

How much is that one Dave?