rllmuk
Meerman

Sim Racing Central

13 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Sorry, just read this :P

:doh:

I only did a lap or 6 to get my current time.

image.png.b4f757330e23556c909339a2e5d19fee.png

I'll be in the pack if we race at Monza.  At Spa, I was slower than @Varnsen and @scoobysi but faster than the rest so it was a lonely race for me.

But I haven't put in nearly as many laps as I did at Spa, and I'm still feeling my way with the wheel.  I've been studying lap guide videos and I'm taking the correct line and gear through corners but I clearly don't have the same speed.  I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall with my improvement at the moment.  

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I'll be in the pack if we race at Monza.  At Spa, I was slower than @Varnsen and @scoobysi but faster than the rest so it was a lonely race for me.

But I haven't put in nearly as many laps as I did at Spa, and I'm still feeling my way with the wheel.  I've been studying lap guide videos and I'm taking the correct line and gear through corners but I clearly don't have the same speed.  I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall with my improvement at the moment.  

My tips, quite a bit of time can be gained at the end of the long straights by optimising your braking, so try brake pads 1 (ok for short races - change pit strategy too) and lower TC to 2 (or 3) and ABS to 3 or as low as you feel you can go. Equally at Monza a lot of time (most) is gained on corner exit (and all the way down the straights) so make sure your exit line means that once you start accelerating you don’t have to lift again, if you lift you’re going to lose probably 0.5secs on each long straight.

With the Lambo I normally knock the rear wheel rate up a click or two to stiffen the rear to give a more stable aero platform.

• Upvote 1

I've been doing some retro playstation 2 games and playing a bit of GT4 in all new shiny graphics with PCSX2 and i saw that Toca RD 3 was on the Ps2 which i'd forgotten. Then realised i had it on Steam so going to play that in a bit.

Anyone play Assetto Corsa on PC with a controller and feel it's good enough?

I'm considering picking it up but heard bad opinions of the controller support upon release. However, I saw the same criticism of Project CARS 2 and I got on fine with that on PS4 and eventually PC. It's not as slick as GT Sport and Forza Motorsport 7's controller support, but Forza 7 and GT Sport have some smoothing steering options on the default controller setup, so I actually appreciated some of the rawness!

Just noticed the Ultimate Edition on Steam for £7.56 so heads up if anyone's intrested.

On 27/06/2020 at 16:13, Wools said:

Anyone play Assetto Corsa on PC with a controller and feel it's good enough?

I think @Valver plays with a controller (correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure if it's any good or not.

• Upvote 1

I've got AC on Steam and have dabbled in it with an Xbox controller. I haven't given it a huge amount of time but from the little bit I have played, it seems basically fine with a pad.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Meerman said:

I think @Valver plays with a controller (correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure if it's any good or not.

My times and racing lines might indicate I play with a controller, but no - wheel dude here:

490878181_pcedit.thumb.JPG.022969a1f83d2ac041408eb9b94a2c74.JPG

• Upvote 4

Ha! Sounds proimising though, thanks for the feedback everyone. Think I'll be picking it up. :)

29 minutes ago, Valver said:

My times and racing lines might indicate I play with a controller, but no - wheel dude here:

I know! just wanted you to show your setup again! :lol::P;)

I fucked up, didn't I?

• Upvote 1

Anyone tried iRacing?  Apparently you can get a year subscription for £22.49 at the moment.  Tempted!

Bear in mind a subscription gives you access to about 10% of the content.

If price is any factor, iRacing isn't for you.

37 minutes ago, davejm said:

Anyone tried iRacing?  Apparently you can get a year subscription for £22.49 at the moment.  Tempted!

I considered it, but decided I've got plenty of sim racing titles already.

29 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Bear in mind a subscription gives you access to about 10% of the content.

If price is any factor, iRacing isn't for you.

It's more about giving it a try, for the low initial outlay (in comparison to standard prices).  I realise there won't be a lot of content, but I've sunk nearly 100 hours into ACC now and I've basically driven 1 car (the Ferrari) around 4 tracks (Monza, Spa, Barcelona and Nurburgring).  So I'm not too fazed by having a limited track and car selection.  Just curious to see what its like.  

Would just like to leave this clip from last night's rllmuk GT Sport session here, as a testament to the stupendously close and exciting racing we have going on every Monday night :) A proper five-way battle, everyone on the absolute edge yet nothing escalating into bashing or crashing:

• Upvote 3

One thing that I always loved about the GT series are the replays, and in particular the camera work. I have only played 3 and 4, but I see it's still up to its usual high standard. 8-)

I don't think any other racing franchise gets close to it? Not that I've seen anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, davejm said:

It's more about giving it a try, for the low initial outlay (in comparison to standard prices).  I realise there won't be a lot of content, but I've sunk nearly 100 hours into ACC now and I've basically driven 1 car (the Ferrari) around 4 tracks (Monza, Spa, Barcelona and Nurburgring).  So I'm not too fazed by having a limited track and car selection.  Just curious to see what its like.  

They'll do you shorter trials cheaper but in that case by all means go right ahead, they'll give you enough to get through rookie (and there's nothing stopping you running rookie races when you graduate).

My Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals have shipped!!! :omg:  Expected on Thursday.

It'll be great to replace these floaty nothing pedals :D

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Awesome, just in time for tonight :D

Unfortunately I won't have time to get them mounted and set up :D  My current pedals are attached to a makeshift shelf which wouldn't support these (in size or weight) so I'm gonna have to make do for tonight and then get going with these tomorrow when I can build a proper box to put them on.  So a project for another day.

Plus I suspect I'm going to have to re-learn braking with these.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Got my pedals sorted now.  It only took me a few laps to for my times to fall inline, but they feel AMAZING already.  So much better.  I feel like there is something happening beneath my feet now, so I'm looking forward to increased consistency.  I hope I can start to get my lap times down further.

I've moved the clutch over to the left slightly, and moved the accelerator up a notch.  Feels great...

IMG_20200710_093739.thumb.jpg.acb4bb5fba82a280c60d5dd43dda87c3.jpg

I've fashioned a more stable tray, which the pedals are bolted to... which is bolted to the desk.  It's not moving!!

IMG_20200710_103306.thumb.jpg.fac299c45f635fd96946992c943645ec.jpg

Here's my setup now...

IMG_20200710_111145.thumb.jpg.2c5be814072866e6909942c3f72e1b77.jpg

I've got this rim on order too...

image.png.9823792b159078dee92ba0d9bfef9f2e.png

I love the one that I already have, but I find my hands moving towards the top of the wheel to help with rotation and it does feel quite heavy.  So I'm going to see how well I get on with this open wheel rim, which I notice is used commonly in GT3 cars anyway.

Thinking of getting the 8-shifter too... 

image.png.e79267e7cefc00ed5fcd7cbc7fe94c21.png

I hadn't really thought about it until @SharkyOB mentioned it yesterday, but now I have the clutch pedal it's tempting to get one of these and start to try more racing with different cars (and finally give Assetto Corsa, the original, some attention).

• Upvote 5

If you want a good clutch workout, I can recommend the older LeMans cars in PCars2, where you have to heal and toe on the downshift or the rear end locks up and steps out!

• Upvote 2

Or this mod which recreates GP Legends (1967 F1 season) in AC:

https://mega.nz/folder/JwUGlCKQ#SSbRu7xroO8j7bG29eOHFQ

Here it is in action:

I mean, just look at it!!  One of the best mods ever in my opinion, but I do love me some 60s F1.  Lovely heel-and-toe action.

The Sandevoerde (60s Zandvoort) circuit in that mod pack is incredible, it is a paid mod but worth a couple of quid.

You don't need the mod to sample these cars though, both the Lotus 49 and the Ferrari from the '67 season are already in AC (Ferrari is in the Red Pack DLC).  Just take one of those to the modern Nordshleife :wub:

• Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks mate.  Downloading now, so this will be my first proper dip into AC I think!

• Upvote 1