Sim Racing Central

VR Legs is a thing in any kind of game.

What I would say is, if you feel yourself slightly sick, stop for a break immediately. Continuing will never, ever help at that point.

Maybe also try some quieter non-driving things like Valve's "The Lab" which I assume will work.

20 minutes ago, Marmite said:

Entered the world of VR last night with a Rift S. Wow, talk about immersion. My brain couldn’t cope though and I felt sick after less than two laps! Try again tonight. 

Don't try and push through. The moment you feel sick, stop. It can take a while to build up your "VR legs".

Yeah, I think I tried to push on it a bit last night and that clearly didn’t work! 

keen to get used to it as it seemingly adds a hell of a lot to driving games. Really interested to see what it does to my times in the long run too. 

1 hour ago, Marmite said:

Entered the world of VR last night with a Rift S. Wow, talk about immersion. My brain couldn’t cope though and I felt sick after less than two laps! Try again tonight. 

I just did the same (well, psvr, Dirt Rally) 

I can play Wipeout for way over an hour and feel fine, similarly Beat Saber, and a bunch of others, but this, I feel liked it’s VR day one again...

I could do with some lunch too :unsure:

Out of interest, as I've never tried VR in my life...what causes the sickness when using VR? Has it got something to do with the refresh rate? Or is it that the screens are so close to your eyes?

The basic thing is you're being fooled into believing you're in motion while your inner ear says "Wait no".

Like an extreme form of when you're sat on a train and the one next to you moves and it feels like yours is.

But yes, refresh rate makes a difference and especially any lag between turning your head and the view moving.

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The basic thing is you're being fooled into believing you're in motion while your inner ear says "Wait no".

Like an extreme form of when you're sat on a train and the one next to you moves and it feels like yours is.

That is actually a very good explanation. So does every person suffer from VR sickness and do you ever get used to it?

No and sometimes.

I think most people get some in some situations to some degrees.  Like for me the rollercoaster VR ones are often a little dodgy for me.  They're quick and I have no control over where it goes and yet I know I'm going nowhere.

Often driving is better for people because you have the reference "Structure" of the A-Pillar or wheel etc as an anchor to the real world, especially when you can reach out and touch a real wheel.

We both referenced "VR Legs" by which we mean the same as "Sea legs", that people learn to cope with sea sickness.  It's a thing.  But some people never get better, some people have never had a problem.

Some people absolutely get used to it, people talk about VR legs (like sea legs) which is a great term too as it’s pure motion sickness.

I’ve had PSVR for a while more and also an Oculus Quest, and find PSVR worse, or at least takes longer to acclimatise. I started with erm.. rollercoaster based rails shooter and it made me feel properly ill when it when downhill. I also played Superhot back then and had less issues. 5-10 minute sessions max, extending after a few days.

When I got Wipeout I could play for an hour plus with no issues, similar with Tetris, and I did try GT Sport (only like a demo, restricted tracks, 1 vs 1 against AI) and could do a 2x 10 minute race on a pad before feeling it a bit.  Astro Bot something makes me feel a little uneasy, 3rd person camera I think has a slight delay in movement vs your character.

Trackmania Turbo (3rd person floaty helicopter camera) was as close to vomit inducing as I ever played. It’s a time trial game, and some of the early courses are really short. I played for about 60 seconds then sat down motion sick for 15 minutes. Uninstalled it that day!

With the Oculus Quest, everything I’ve played I’m fine with, or I adjust pretty quickly.

I can play Beat Saber until I’m a sweaty mess, similar with boxing game, or static things like fishing game Bait. Sairento is a ninja game where you move by pointing and clicking, the character then slides to the location in rails. That felt bad the first couple of times, then I could play fire an hour no issues.

So after all that, I’m surprised Dirt Rally made me feel that way. I’d played maybe 15 minutes and I was ok, but it came over my really quickly, never had that before.

I found I'm very resilient, but long stints still get me at times, especially anything where spinning in a car/vehicle happens. I particularly find reversing and stopping in driving games gives me a brief sicky feeling. And in Elite Dangerous I can only last so long when using the scarab (planetside vehicle).

Not had too many problems with VR upto now. I think it depends largely on the implementation and type of game. IMHO some games just don't work well in VR at all. I tried Grip for example and felt sick after around 20 seconds or so but that involved driving around tubes effectivity at high speed. Think it was just the game though as I felt sick after I tried playing on a monitor to!

Have no problem with regular driving games though generally they are a bit slower and are really smooth on the Oculus S. Playing Assetto Corsa yesterday for over an hour and it was marvelous. I mainly got the VR headset for driving games anyway so this is great news :D

I think it's like anything screen based don't overdo it and give yourself a break every so often and listen to your body.

8 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

It's a bit Daily Mail though.

The guy used VR all day every day for 4 years.

The guy has a rare undiagnosed eye condition

The guy believes but has no medical evidence that the condition got worse in him because of that VR use.

Therefore - VR is dangerous.

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's a bit Daily Mail though.

The guy used VR all day every day for 4 years.

The guy has a rare undiagnosed eye condition

The guy believes but has no medical evidence that the condition got worse in him because of that VR use.

Therefore - VR is dangerous.

That’s true but I wonder what safety precautions employers put in place for VR developers. You often hear about how gamers are affected but less so on developers/testers who must wear headsets for hours everyday

Has anyone heard of simracing.gp?  I got into the BETA the other day, by virtue of having a Race Department premium membership (they're co-developers).  It's a racing league platform that allows leagues/organisations to be created; with the ability to create championships and one-off races as appropriate.  It spins up the servers for any events that are created, and could be really handy for all sorts of organised racing - and ultimately handy for us if we can progress to weekly ACC events.

At the moment only Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione are on the platform, but they aim to add more titles over time.  It looks really nifty.

Anyway, I've signed up to my first race for this evening. 45 minutes around Spa.

Some screenshots...

Here you can view the organisations that you're registered with...

01.thumb.jpg.23a77cfe13a6a2822708220a25bba1a9.jpg

A view of all of the upcoming events for an organisation...

02.thumb.jpg.85087330cede41690d23204cfb6c0855.jpg

When you click to enter an event you choose your car then register your intent to join...

04.thumb.jpg.44f31a0a3ae4e7c3d89c108afab76228.jpg

An overview of my upcoming events...

03.thumb.jpg.bdac95dd218346542485a54d3e496fa3.jpg

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 12:14, Marmite said:

Yeah, I think I tried to push on it a bit last night and that clearly didn’t work! 

keen to get used to it as it seemingly adds a hell of a lot to driving games. Really interested to see what it does to my times in the long run too. 

I'm very fortunate in that I've almost* never experienced any kind of motion sickness in real life. I'm that guy who happily reads and plays games in cars, on buses, trains, wherever.

Even I had a bit of queasiness the first time I played Gran Turismo in PSVR. Not enough to feel sick as such, but... a bit like very minor indigestion or heartburn, I guess.

It went away after that first session and I don't really feel it any more**.

I'm not fast at the best of times but I'm definitely better in VR. Combination of better awareness of the car positioning, and just being able to look into the corner makes such a difference, I think.

Stick with it!

* I say "almost" never because I was seasick once as a kid, on a very rough ferry crossing (into Cherbourg IIRC).

** With one exception. There's one corner on the Nordschleife that reliably makes my stomach do a little lurch every single time. I have no idea why it's just that one.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

@davejm I’d heard of it and I’ve thought previously about subscribing to Race Department. Let us know how it goes.

It’ll be interesting to see if it has the number of players needed for a decent race.

30 of the 60 slots are taken for tonight's race.  Not sure how that works as the event page only mentions one server, so I'll let you know how it all pans out. I'm pretty sure you can't get 60 cars around Monza! 

25 minutes ago, davejm said:

30 of the 60 slots are taken for tonight's race.  Not sure how that works as the event page only mentions one server, so I'll let you know how it all pans out. I'm pretty sure you can't get 60 cars around Monza! 

I have taken part in some big grid events at Monza (I think) and definitely Spa but it needs a special version of the server software which at the time wasn’t on general release. Sounds good if at least 30 slots are filled though.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Oh you can.

The trick is getting them round a 2nd time.

I saw that the track in our ACC server has been changed to Monza, so I set a lap time for everyone to beat. :D

Scooby and Valver are banned from setting a time, though. ;)

1 hour ago, Meerman said:

I saw that the track in our ACC server has been changed to Monza, so I set a lap time for everyone to beat. :D

Scooby and Valver are banned from setting a time, though. ;)

Sorry, just read this :P