Sim Racing Central

28 minutes ago, Meerman said:

I have fiddled with the settings again this afternoon, but to no avail. I'm running it in 1920x1080 now which helps a tiny bit. The micro stutters are gone but it now runs at an unstable 50fps on the lowest settings (AA on high though otherwise it looks like a PS1 game).

I suppose I can race like that, albeit with some chagrin. Especially when the original AC running smooth as butter with high settings on the same machine. :hmm:

I'll be online tonight to fiddle some more. Give me a prod if you fancy a chat.

Ah that's a bummer.  Good luck with the tinkering though.

I won't be online for the rest of the evening as it's my birthday today, but I've already had some success setting up a server hosted from my machine so I'll have a proper play tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Could I pick up an early model of Rift, for example? 

that's what i did to play beat saber on pc, got it from ebay, think it's the first consumer version, so not the developer kit ones, think people call it cv1, it works fine with racing games too, i got the 2 camera one, but if you want to try any room scale stuff 3 a camera one would be better. there's something about usb ports to check as well as the pc specs -  https://support.oculus.com/204823846627499/

Right, thanks guys. I've seen some Rift DK2 going for quite cheap but I know they're a good few years old now and didn't know if they are any use for what I want. 

Will have a look for CV1 setups.

Room scale is brilliant (I've had a go on a Vive a few years ago in a full room-scale dedicated area) but I'm not interested here. Just want something I can look around a car cockpit with :)  

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Ah that's a bummer.  Good luck with the tinkering though.

I won't be online for the rest of the evening as it's my birthday today, but I've already had some success setting up a server hosted from my machine so I'll have a proper play tomorrow.

Happy birthday!

I've changed the AA to FXAA (epic) instead of TAA, that gets me to 55-60fps in practice mode. Against AI in career it plummets down to 45-50 again. Locking to 30fps is not an option either. :angry:

My Formula C career in PCars2 is going well. I easily won at Monaco. Next up was Barcelona, a track I am very familiar with thanks to the old F1 games. This was a shortened version, which caught me off guard at first, but I soon got round okay. My pace was off. I managed to go fastest in practice, but wasn't consistent. In qualy I couldn't pull a good lap together and qualified 5th. However, in the race I manage to get ahead after the first couple of corners and only lost that position twice which I quickly reclaimed. I didn't manage the fastest lap though, my pace was on par with AI for a change, and I have to be honest that did make for some more tense racing. :)

Up next is the beast that is Bathurst. Now, I do like this track in Gran Turismo, tomorrow we'll see if I like it in PCars2. :)

1 hour ago, Meerman said:

Happy birthday!

I've changed the AA to FXAA (epic) instead of TAA, that gets me to 55-60fps in practice mode. Against AI in career it plummets down to 45-50 again. Locking to 30fps is not an option either. :angry:

Thanks.  AI races kill my frame rate too.  Apparently some of that is CPU stress, which is less of an issue when in multiplayer.

I don't think there's any getting away from the demands of the title though.  It's either not well optimised, or is just demanding due to the elements in play (it's a graphical step up from other sim racers).  Likely a mixture of both.

1920x1080 windowed (then F11 for full screen without borders)

V synch - off

fxaa - epic

framerate limit - off

resolution scale - 100%

view distance - mid

shadows and distance - low

textures - high

mirrors - off (using crew chief and view buttons instead for my surroundings)

HLOD - on

...and pretty much everything else on low or off gives me a pretty stable 60fps now (some drops here and there) and a decent picture in practice mode. I hope it stays that way when I race online, like you said @davejm. Let's try it soon!

15 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

VR question: what would people recommend as an inexpensive VR headset for PC gaming? I've got PSVR and I love it so I'd like to try out the wider range of games and options on PC.  I've got Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2 and a few others.

The PC itself is a few years old, decent for its day but not exceptional, so I'm not expecting miracles - but I'm perfectly happy to turn graphical shinies way down to get a decent frame rate. 

Could I pick up an early model of Rift, for example? 

So long as you have at least a GF970 or equiv you'll be able to run everything except ACC.  I have that an a CPU so old its Intel part number is 3 figures (i7-950).

Hop on your 2nd hand emporium of choice and pick up a Rift Consumer version or a Vive.  I prefer the Vive and it's easier to set up but either will serve you well for these purposes.

Bear in mind you'll need a complete pack and not just the headset for both.

@Meerman looks like you’re getting ACC performance sorted but this might be useful re the various settings and their impact (might have already been posted, can’t remember).

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/guide-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-in-acc.60797/

There are also some tracks/time of day that just hammer performance, out the back of Brands Hatch as the sun drops seems to be one in particular. Luckily it only tends to last a couple of laps in a race.

Setting up the ACC server.

I'll configure it as a 'track day' server for now, with long repeating practice sessions, so we can test connectivity.  There are lots of parameters we can change, so we'll work those out once I have full access.  It's a 16 slot server, so I'll set a private password.

One nifty feature... I can create an 'entry' list, so we can override our names (as it is stored in your ACC client) with something else, if we wish.  It might be useful if we use our forum names when connecting up to the rllmuk server, that cool with everyone?  (it also means if I post timing results or screenshots, it doesn't show our real name).   We can also choose a driver number.  For that to work, I'd need your steam ID (the long 17 character steam ID) for creating the list, so if you fancy that can you PM me with that info... including the driver number that you'd like (first come, first served!).

Looking back over messages, looks like the following were interested...

@Meerman @Mr Majestyk @kiroquai @scoobysi @Varnsen

Anyone else I've missed or anyone else interested?  @Thor @Dimahoo @Dudley @Marmite @SharkyOB ?

No worries, we haven't even spoken about when we'll be setting up races.  I want to see if the server works OK, so let's just see how we roll.  At least if we can all get access to it, if we plan an actual race we'll have done the donkey work.

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

@Meerman looks like you’re getting ACC performance sorted but this might be useful re the various settings and their impact (might have already been posted, can’t remember).

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/guide-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-in-acc.60797/

There are also some tracks/time of day that just hammer performance, out the back of Brands Hatch as the sun drops seems to be one in particular. Luckily it only tends to last a couple of laps in a race.

Yep, I've used that one to set it up, but even then I had to tune it down. Thank you for your help though. :)

Thing is, most of the settings can't be turned off entirely (just mid/low/very low in most cases), so you're left at the mercy of the developer, which is a shame.

I miss MSAA, for example. In AC, 8x MSAA gives me a crisp image (in 1440p) without too much of an impact on performance. ACC only offers FXAA (a bit shit but good for performance), TAA (smooth but blurry) and KTAA (best of FX and TA but taxing).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sorry Dave, I had a go at the free weekend trial of ACC, but didn't fancy buying it because it looks like it's only GT cars; I prefer open wheel. :)

I'd be up for some online driving - but like Thor, I didn't buy ACC after the free trial (as I want to race in VR, and ACC didn't run that brilliantly for me)  

Regular AC, or Project Cars 2 would be my choice if there's a chance to host something else on a server?

5 minutes ago, Valver said:

I'd be up for some online driving - but like Thor, I didn't buy ACC after the free trial (as I want to race in VR, and ACC didn't run that brilliantly for me)  

Regular AC, or Project Cars 2 would be my choice if there's a chance to host something else on a server?

Yeah, I'm also not running ACC. Just iRacing for me (one game is about all I have time for these days!). 

The server is live :)  

image.png.d5abc85a43ee174cdae83020ac4ec033.png

As mentioned, it's currently set up with a 'practice only' configuration (at Spa) with no minimum requirements but there is a server password so can you PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know the password.  If you're friends with me on Steam then I have your steam ID (it's part of your public profile URL), if not can you add me on Steam or PM me with that info.

Speadsheets are good! :)  On a slightly related note, the server sessions run for 6 hours but they don't start unless someone joins.  And then if the last person drops off, the session will close.  I was hoping it'd be persistent so that it would keep the lap times for the whole session, but not to be.  That said, the server does log all the times in JSON files so I will have a history of everyone's lap times stored.  So we can collate the information even if someone ends up driving around the circuit on their own.

For now I'm just keen to know how it runs if a few people are connected.  But there's no reason why it shouldn't cope with 16 at the same time.

Did a couple of laps, and the entry list feature (where it uses an alternative name and number) works fine.  The generation of the session results works ok also, so I'll have a fiddle around as there's an app that collates the JSON and outputs it to HTML results file(s).

Let's see your best lap times around Spa guys 8-) I did a clean and fast lap for me, but still only 2:27!  Not sure how these aliens are cranking out 2:15! :huh:

3 hours ago, davejm said:

Did a couple of laps, and the entry list feature (where it uses an alternative name and number) works fine.  The generation of the session results works ok also, so I'll have a fiddle around as there's an app that collates the JSON and outputs it to HTML results file(s).

Let's see your best lap times around Spa guys 8-) I did a clean and fast lap for me, but still only 2:27!  Not sure how these aliens are cranking out 2:15! :huh:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the very top times, there’s at least one known  hacker out there (MasterLooser).

5 hours ago, davejm said:

Let's see your best lap times around Spa guys 8-) 

Did a 2:20.775 in the Audi, didn’t feel as if I really hooked it up but a bit knackered after our 90mins of Spa in GT Sport. Might try out a few different cars as I drive the Lambo mostly.