Sim Racing Central

33 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Well, Zolder was designed by Dutchman John (Hans) Hugenholtz Sr., who also oversaw Circuit Zandvoort construction.

Zolder is a town in the Flemish part of Belgium, ya silly sod. The circuit is next to it, like the circuit of Spa is next to the town of Spa. Nothing to do with a Dutchman that it sounds Dutch. :P

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I've got the pace to win at Imola, I just need better consistency. Also, is it me, or is the racing line in PCars2 a steaming pile of shit?

Racing lines are always shit. The braking points are usually way off and it masively takes away from the immersion.

In other news my CSL elite pedals with loadcell brake turned up yesterday. Got them set up pretty quickly for once and immediately felt great on iRacing. I've not used CSL pedals for a while but from memory the loadcell on these is a big step up from the ones I had previously. Much easier to tweak as well - recommended! 

1 hour ago, Meerman said:

Zolder is a town in the Flemish part of Belgium, ya silly sod. The circuit is next to it, like the circuit of Spa is next to the town of Spa. Nothing to do with a Dutchman that it sounds Dutch. :P

I was raised 50 km's from Zolder and visited the track many times with my dad, ya silly man ;)

The reason I brought up Hugenholtz is because of the 'historical Dutch influence' on the actual track. Which is quite massive, given he designed it.

I actually visited his son the other day for a report on circuit design and he showed me the original Zolder track drawings. Cool snippets of motorsports history.

1 hour ago, Marmite said:

Racing lines are always shit. The braking points are usually way off and it masively takes away from the immersion.

In other news my CSL elite pedals with loadcell brake turned up yesterday. Got them set up pretty quickly for once and immediately felt great on iRacing. I've not used CSL pedals for a while but from memory the loadcell on these is a big step up from the ones I had previously. Much easier to tweak as well - recommended! 

Ahhh - see, I have the old CSR Elite pedals which is what I think you had before... interesting to hear that the CSL pedals have a much better loadcell. Might have to look at upgrading at some point soon :)

Best? You are probably looking at something like this: https://fanatec.com/eu-en/bundles/podium-racing-wheel-formula-for-xbox-one-pc

Or the step up to this: https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd2 (no actual wheel included there though). 

Obviously very expensive though, and to run a direct drive wheel you need a very sturdy setup. 

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Ahhh - see, I have the old CSR Elite pedals which is what I think you had before... interesting to hear that the CSL pedals have a much better loadcell. Might have to look at upgrading at some point soon :)

You remember correctly! I'm sure it took me ages with the original version of these pedals to get used to them but I dont seem to be having the same problem here. You can adjust the stiffness pretty easily and I'm even using the clutch pedal for the first time ever! 

52 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Looking for recommendations for a colleague - what are the best wheel and pedal for Xbox?

Depends on their budget really. Best for under £400, £800, £1200...higher?

4 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

they were talking about hte logitech g920 if that helps?

That particular wheel is a lower segment one, certainly not 'the best' wheel available. But value for money, it's pretty good.

So what do they mean with 'the best'? Best value, best quality or 'it's really bloody expensive so it must be the best' - best?

Low segment (up to £500):

• Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider
  • Thrustmaster TMX
  • Logitech G920

Mid segment (up to £800):

• Fanatec CSL Elite
  • Thrustmaster TX
  • Thrustmaster T300

Top segment (up to £2000+):

• Fanatec Podium ecosystem (needs an adapter for XBO)

In PCARS2 career news, I did indeed win at Imola, lost the lead once after a daft mistake but soon got it back. The next track (I forget where) I absolutely smashed. You know things are going right when you feel the car is good before you've even finished your first lap. I was fastest in practice, breezed into pole, and was never troubled in the race. Engineer told me to take it easy on the final lap. Lol...

5 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

PCars 2 is on sale on Steam right now, it's only 12 quid. Presuming it's worth a pop? That's the deluxe edition.

If you have a wheel then i'd say so, although pCARS 3 is out in summer.

If you have a pad - YMMV. It not as smooth as either GT Sport or say...Forza and physics arn't as consistent, although with some cars (certainly the touring and racing cars) its better and some drivers have used it as a trainer. It also got a strong compliment of tracks.

I mean its a few beers innit, and i'd get it personally and i can play it with a pad but they designed it with a wheel in mind and didn't put in as much as with the Pad.

Who was it that said "use all of the track"?

Playing ACC and I had a look at one of my replays around Spa, and it was immediately obvious that I wasn't taking advantage of track limits.  Was lapping around 2:30 (which I realise is awful), and in a half an hour session since I've been able to get my times down to 2:24.  And I'm still not really consistent around the circuit, so I have laps where I have a good first sector, them a good second etc.  I've been well up on that best lap time only to fall away later in the lap.

Safety rating is now up to 59 after a 30 minute race starting from the back of the field (of 20) and finishing 9th.

Loving the improvements after each session that I have.

55 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

If you have a wheel then i'd say so, although pCARS 3 is out in summer.

This is currently looking irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, davejm said:

Playing ACC and I had a look at one of my replays around Spa, and it was immediately obvious that I wasn't taking advantage of track limits.  Was lapping around 2:30 (which I realise is awful), and in a half an hour session since I've been able to get my times down to 2:24.  And I'm still not really consistent around the circuit, so I have laps where I have a good first sector, them a good second etc.  I've been well up on that best lap time only to fall away later in the lap.

Yep, you're literally now driving an easier track.

I'm so darn pleased that I bought this wheel.  Some of the gaming experiences I'm having at the moment are up there with my favourite ever.  It's an amazing feeling trailing a car for a lap, spotting where he's slow and then pouncing and making the move stick.  It's so exhilirating and rewarding.  And I'm only doing single player races around Spa at the moment :D

Grr. Fanatec drivers corrupted somehow and i can't bloody remove them. Fuck you windows!

Used 3 different uninstallers (Revo, Crap cleaner). Can't use the existing drivers as windows reports a program required to install them can't be found! 

Think i might do a reg search and just delete all "fanatec" examples.

8 hours ago, davejm said:

On 29/05/2020 at 09:09, Meerman said:

You've gotta use the full width of the track! :blah:

Also be as smooth as possible, and think at least 2 corners ahead. :quote:

7 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Grr. Fanatec drivers corrupted somehow and i can't bloody remove them. Fuck you windows!

Used 3 different uninstallers (Revo, Crap cleaner). Can't use the existing drivers as windows reports a program required to install them can't be found! 

Think i might do a reg search and just delete all "fanatec" examples.

It may have something to do with a recent Windows update that caused it. Try restoring your PC to an earlier version if you still can.

15 minutes ago, Meerman said:

Ah good, that's a relief.

Fancy racing sometime next week on AC?

Yes mate. Any time after 1900 (CEST). I've got an Xbox headset with mic - not sure if it'll work.

12 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Yes mate. Any time after 1900 (CEST). I've got an Xbox headset with mic - not sure if it'll work.

Alright, I think I may be online on monday or tuesday.

9 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Oschersleben

GESUNDHEIT!