IGNORED

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 - remake? remaster? revival? reboot? revert?

ryodi

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 09:46, Kingpin said:

I played so much of these games back in the day that it’s really odd going back now. It’s a lot faster and twitchier than I remember but I am having fun.

I wonder if that's a 50Hz vs 60Hz thing? Or if we're just 20 years older and slower...

43 minutes ago, Broker said:

Those textbooks in School 1 are new right? Some of the collections I’m riding to without thinking about but others I’m having to search for.

I do remember reading that more challenges were put in to make up for the relatively short career mode in THPS1.

39 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I wonder if that's a 50Hz vs 60Hz thing? Or if we're just 20 years older and slower...

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing, actually. I expect they could add a 50Hz mode option and I'd still suck, though.

Right. The 5th subway token. How the fuck am I supposed to jump high enough off the ramp to get it? Is there a trick to it? I can get the one you have to jump off the rock and the other 3 are easy But the last one is a total twat. 

any suggestions for better launch? I’ve upped Mr. Hawk’s air, Ollie and and hang time stats As much as I can. 

I’m crap at this compared to back in the day. Finding getting sick scores a virtual impossibility.   Need practise. 

3 minutes ago, And said:

Right. The 5th subway token. How the fuck am I supposed to jump high enough off the ramp to get it? Is there a trick to it? I can get the one you have to jump off the rock and the other 3 are easy But the last one is a total twat. 

any suggestions for better launch? I’ve upped Mr. Hawk’s air, Ollie and and hang time stats As much as I can. 

I’m crap at this compared to back in the day. Finding getting sick scores a virtual impossibility.   Need practise. 

Have you tried a Boneless off the ramp (up up)?

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm desperately resisting because I just don't have the time to justify it :(

I've discovered I no longer have the skills to play it lol. Can't even get 100k on warehouse at the moment. 81k is my best effort so far.  Mind you that's only in an hours play. 

17 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Dreamcast Tony was 60hz, I think it's the jump to 60 frames that's fucking everybody up. 

Which was my first foray into the franchise and perhaps why I've not been struggling with getting the scores. I reckon the collision detection on the collectables has changed though and they can be a massive pain to get hold of, even though it looks like you're passing through a part of them.

That and the ridiculous VB transfer on Venice Beach. I just can't get the height off the ramp, even after levelling up and coming back.

Finally getting some 100,000 combos, which feels like progress. I’m so bad at grinding tricks though, but always have been in these games. Even at max stats rails feels so hard to control for more than a few seconds. That’s where I need to practice the most.

Tried to grab the back of a taxi, forgetting skitchin’ came later in the series.

To be fair, they've added plenty of older TH tricks. You have to be able to handle the spin tricks to hit the big combos so you have to know what position your skater is in as your drop to make the landing.Easy for an Indy - nightmare for tricks like the Madonna.

Really makes me want for more newer levels.

Just now, Orion said:

Remembered today I used to have every special as up,down, button or down, up,button. Once rearranged my scores went up big time today and started to feel ok about my scores again getting 6 figures combos. Its slowly coming back.

Same here, really useful on Manual special moves where you are doing pretty much the same button presses anyway.

3 hours ago, And said:

That one gave me trouble, mainly because of the #@£!*?& taxis. I ended up making sure I was on full Special by the time I reached the QP opposite, then did a double-tap.on UP just before launching into a simple Nosegrab from the ramp. That gave me the speed and airtime needed to grab the card.

But, that's the joy, here. You KNOW you can get it, because you've either done it 20 years ago, or are missing out by inches. When you get it, you'll definitely wake the Mrs. And then you'll want to share it with us, and we'll all know how great you feel having been through the same wringer.

Just wait until you're trying to find the 3rd Rooftop gap ... 

7 minutes ago, And said:

Boneless did the trick. Thanks all. Just done it. 

I’m struggling between using the pad or the stick, also - do people use the spin bumpers and the pad to turn when doing grabs?

:facepalm: I’ve been using left/right on the d-pad. Even more stupid is I tried L2/R2 to rotate the first few turns but completely overlooked trying L1/R1.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Double tap up then ollie for extra height. Can't believe the tutorial leaves it out! 

Me neither!!

Speaking of the tutorial, is there any way to access it again? I’ve not gone through it fully and when I quit then later restart the game it then just sticks me into the full game with no (as far as I can see??) option to continue / re run the tutorial. Seems a bit odd :blink:

100%’d both THPS 1 and 2 tonight so I guess now it’s time to work on setting high scores and working through some of the more achievable challenges. I love the challenges, some of them seem ridiculous but there’s a lot that you can set yourself a goal to figure out/achieve and some of them like the Gap combo ones are essentially teaching you the lines you should be taking. Great stuff. 

My thumbs are a bit sore however...