Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 - remake? remaster? revival? reboot? revert?

Decided to just go ahead and buy this and got stuck into the demo; it's still a load of fun but it took me a loooooong time to feel competent. Good to get the muscle-memory back ahead of the full game release, though.

Played a bit at lunchtime (or just after midnight where my Xbox lives :) )

seems fun, plays much like I remember and looks lovely. Just happy to hear bring the noise :)

The games are separate in the main menu but the skaters level up separately to the games. You can also access everything from the start from free skate if you want to. 

On 02/09/2020 at 14:24, Dudley said:

I forget what it was but didn't 2X on the Xbox have some bonus stuff over the "Previous gen" version of 2?

I just found out it also featured all the THPS1 stages too, stuck on at the end after the bonus stages?!

Anyway, I reckon I’ll grab the PC version of the remaster as I still have a £10 off code for the Epic Store. Would like to hear feedback on PC performance though...

Yeah, fine. It's bloody great, and not even a massive download. I've given it a couple of hours and I'm pretty sure I've only been on it 20 minutes or so, which I declare a good thing. I decided to go for it on PC, same reason as above, and it seems pretty flawless.

I am properly shit at it all, mind. But I think quite a lot of that is from the majority of play time with the original being with characters that had all stats at max. Or at least that's a good excuse so I'm sticking with it.

(The new music is mostly a bit shit, but that's about all I'm complaining about and apparently there's a way to filter it to just THPS2, but I've not found it apart from manually unticking things.)

Yeah I can’t say I recognise the names of many of the new tracks / artists.

Hopefully we can hack the soundtrack and add our own songs. Some late 90s punk / nu metal would suit it... Offspring, Green Day... maybe a Limp Bizkit track :blink2:

I probably haven’t touched THPS 1 or 2 since the Xbox version so can’t be sure but it “feels” right. 
 Within a few minutes years of muscle memory was returning and I am was hitting gaps and ledges I remembered. 
 If it’s not 100% exact in control and speed it’s as near as doesn’t matter. 

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

What about the whooping voices, can these be turned off?

Can’t actually remember hearing them over the music that much - even in a multiplayer session last night. 

Watching GB’s Jeff playing makes me want to trade-in as much as I can to get this!

So many memories from uni sessions rinsing the warehouse and school. Glad the reviews have been good so far, it’s great that the series’ legacy isn’t the godawful THPS5.

Complete 100,000 grab tricks? Sure, give me the weekend.

12 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can you change the way skaters get up after a bail, or is it always that matrix glitch way?

(I don’t mind it - just curious)

Unfortunately not - it’s the one thing I would like added but it quickly gets forgotten. 

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

Unfortunately not - it’s the one thing I would like added but it quickly gets forgotten. 

To be honest, after playing the original in Retroarch again after all the initial impressions of the demo went up, I'd consider it a marked improvement - you basically lost a solid 5 seconds off a 2 minute run because of how god-awfully slow the animation was to get up, in addition to whatever combo you lost.

Picking up the PC version when it's out on EGS. looks like a decent port, considering a few videos of the demo like this one: 

I've also seen a video that demonstrates it supports Ultrawide right out of the box, and one of a 2070 running the game at max settings at around 90fps.

I've also seen this:

:facepalm:

I'm on the fence about buying this (PS4).

I played the hell out of THPS2 on the Dreamcast back in the day (I did also have THPS1 but never loved it as much) so I do want it, but I don't know if I FORTY POUNDS want it. Especially as I still have the DC, so it's only the mild inconvenience of plugging it in that's stopping me from just playing the original any time.

Is it worth £40? Someone convince me one way or the other please.

15 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'm on the fence about buying this (PS4).

I played the hell out of THPS2 on the Dreamcast back in the day (I did also have THPS1 but never loved it as much) so I do want it, but I don't know if I FORTY POUNDS want it. Especially as I still have the DC, so it's only the mild inconvenience of plugging it in that's stopping me from just playing the original any time.

Is it worth £40? Someone convince me one way or the other please.

Wait for the first sale. That's what I'm going to do. The problem I've got is I want it on Xbox but I'm not sure I'll be able to used the pad as well as the PS4 one.

I'm confident I'll get £40 worth of enjoyment out of it. Gonna get the pizza in and my wife and I will take turns playing through the solo stuff, maybe play a bit of HORSE using whatever word we currently think is hilarious. It'll be a nice time.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Wait for the first sale. That's what I'm going to do. The problem I've got is I want it on Xbox but I'm not sure I'll be able to used the pad as well as the PS4 one.

Yeah, I mostly played THPS3 on Gamecube so it feels unnatural to me using anything but that controller for it.

the X-Box pad is the reason I didn't go for that version - it's like 28/32 quid on CDKeys depending on region, but even with it being a marked improvement over the 360 pad I need something with a bit more give.

Like the 8bitdo pads I have with my PC. or the PS4 pad on the PC. Or the X-Box pad on the PC.

I'm not keen on buying off of Epic, but I still had that Sale voucher from months back so the standard version of the game was thirty quid so it's just good enough for an impulse buy. In fact, it's downloading now. Exciting!

EDIT: Had a good go on the PC version. Game automatically set my card to High settings on the GTX 1070 (amusingly, the high settings include TAA), 1080p with V-Sync. Doesn't miss a beat. Looks fantastic, although I'll have to pull up an FPS counter to get an idea of what's going on.

As for the game itself - Yeah, it's Tony Hawk. I still can't do a Madonna grab without being the wrong way around when releasing it. I think I clicked with the game about a couple of runs in because I realised the campaign does the thing where your stats are dogshit and you can't even hit a channel gap if you dare to put a kickflip in the middle of your ollie.

The thing that amazes me is the environments, though - I used to thoroughly dislike THPS1 Mall, but it's amazing in 1&2. Partly because you have all the fancy shit like manuals and wallplants from the sequels, and partly because holy shit look at all the graffiti and mood lighting because the place is derelict.

Marseilles is fucking astonishing, as well. and the Create-A-Parks - holy shit do they give you some room to work with. Some of the Vicarious Visions made parks are about the same size as the regular maps.