Jump to content

Billie Eilish


Thread Owner
 Share

Recommended Posts

Couldn’t find a thread. What’s the consensus?

 

I’m in the process of making an album right now and like to seek out and listen to pop when doing so. Last time was over ten years ago and I listened to early Madonna and Scissor Sisters and Gwen Stefani. It’s where the interesting ideas with regard to production are. 
 

I kept having stuff recommended on YouTube as her brother does a lot of production interviews and I’d seen bits before. I quite like it. She’s definitely doing something fairly original and it’s actually not far off what I try to do in terms of little trippy electro beats and things. However, while I enjoyed what bits I heard before and think it’s all very good, when I actually listened to the albums it becomes apparent it’s all a little samey. 
 

This sounds odd to say because it’s full of innovative production tricks and ideas but that’s just it. Every song is desperately quirky with the same super intimate vocal. I like the style, but there’s a lot of it. 
 

I do think it’s great that so many kids are into something a bit different though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

 Looking at her Wikipedia page, it seems she’s just as manufactured as most other pop stars, though she and whoever is her management, try so hard to make it seem, that is really the complete opposite.


Unless I’ve been similarly misled, the only way she’s been manufactured is by herself and her brother in their bedroom where they wrote and recorded all their music.

 

This is from four years ago when she was 14.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

To be fair on her, she managed to go one further than Sam Smith by amazingly making a Bond song that's even worse and more forgettable than his.

 

I can't agree with this. Such a feat is objectively impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dismissed her initially because I’m a grumpy old bastard. However I started really liking bad guy as my kids kept playing it so I bought the album (she’s only done one proper one) On vinyl. 
 

It’s pretty banging. She’s got a good voice and a lot of it is quite soulful. Gave me Winehouse vibes in places. However yes it’s all about the production really. There’s some cracking whomping bass on there and some interesting stuff. The album loses it towards the end with the last 3 tracks being a bit bland but the rest I found very entertaining.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

 Looking at her Wikipedia page, it seems she’s just as manufactured as most other pop stars, though she and whoever is her management, try so hard to make it seem, that is really the complete opposite.

Yeah what did you see that left you with that view?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

The weird way she sings drives me nuts. 

 

I saw it described as "like she's desperate not to wake up her parents in the next room", which about sums it up. 

 

I feel genuinely sorry for whoever has to run the sound for her live shows. It has to be a nightmare to get that vocal to sit on top of the backing. They must have world-class feedback destroyers. 

 

Apart from that, I don't have a lot against her. She's doing a lot better out of her music than I ever have, that's for sure. Good luck to her. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh it's certainly incredibly carefully produced, and I don't think they really try to make a secret of that at all. Check this video out:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx2-EMfdbg

 

They go into some detail about the number of takes she does to get the perfect one, etc.

 

Also worth watching this video by Tom Lord-Alge (himself a multiple-award-winning record producer):

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnnp6zJYzms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Oh it's certainly incredibly carefully produced, and I don't think they really try to make a secret of that at all. Check this video out:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx2-EMfdbg

 

They go into some detail about the number of takes she does to get the perfect one, etc.

 

Also worth watching this video by Tom Lord-Alge (himself a multiple-award-winning record producer):

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnnp6zJYzms

 

I think older people / musos are always going to be skeptical of a 16 year old rich girl and her validity as an artist. Thrown in the whole is she / isn't she manufactured argument along with immense success / record sales and you've got the perfect polarising figure. There's almost too many factors to process. At the end of the day though none of that really matters. Like the producers on the link above say, its how the record sounds that matters. And I reckon it sounds decent. If you like that sort of thing. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Also, Sam Smith is ‘gender fluid’ and does not like to be referred to in gender specific terms such as ‘his’.

 

But fuck that shit. He is a monumentally untalented cunt.

 

Don't be a dickhead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been reports about Fierce Poodles post, and we are hoping that the 'fuck that shit' didn't mean to refer to the gender issues involved but actually were just his idiosyncractic segue from his correcting of the pronoun into getting massively and arguably somewhat inappropriately over-exercised about how much he hated the singer / songwriter Sam Smith. Hoping you will confirm this interpretation of your post, @Fierce Poodle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SozzlyJoe Fierce Poodle pointed out that the person is gender fluid and then immediately referred to them as 'him'. His post is clearly and deliberately transphobic. I don't care what action is taken as the post is enough to show what sort of person they are (terrible, for the avoidance of doubt) but your post reflects very poorly on the moderation of this forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Swallow said:

@SozzlyJoe Fierce Poodle pointed out that the person is gender fluid and then immediately referred to them as 'him'. His post is clearly and deliberately transphobic. I don't care what action is taken as the post is enough to show what sort of person they are (terrible, for the avoidance of doubt) but your post reflects very poorly on the moderation of this forum.

 

I admit I missed that FP went on to use 'he' after that, that puts a different spin on it. Mea culpa. I tried to respond in a way that would defuse the situtation and give @Fierce Poodle the chance to respond and clarify or apologise, I'm sorry you feel that was poor moderation on my part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

There have been reports about Fierce Poodles post, and we are hoping that the 'fuck that shit' didn't mean to refer to the gender issues involved but actually were just his idiosyncractic segue from his correcting of the pronoun into getting massively and arguably somewhat inappropriately over-exercised about how much he hated the singer / songwriter Sam Smith. Hoping you will confirm this interpretation of your post, @Fierce Poodle?

 

Many apologies, it wasn't meant to be transphobic, although I can completely see how it came across that way. It was a daft, poorly worded comment and I didn't take time to read it back. I have no issues at all with Sam Smith's gender, or him wishing to be regarded as gender fluid. I do, however, think he is a rubbish singer.

 

No apologies to Nequests, however, who had the temerity to call me a dickhead when he recently received a ban for being abusive to other forum members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I have no issues at all with Sam Smith's gender, or him wishing to be regarded as gender fluid. I do, however, think he is a rubbish singer.

 

I think this is probably a sincere apology, but to clear this up, if someone is gender fluid and does not wish to be referred to as a He, then please don't do that. I appreciate this stuff can be hard to get your head around for people in our generation, so just wanted to point this out. Thankfully I know nothing about Sam Smith and I will take you at your word that they are a talentless cunt, but in future if we could watch our pronouns that would be smashing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

What’s edgelord?

 

They think they're Bill Hicks, but they have more in common with modern-day Graham Linehan. Or Elliot Rodgers.

 

Although, to be fair, Bill Hicks was a bit of a tedious cunt too, so they're at least partly right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

Watched the "Blurry" Doc on ATV+. I quite liked her stuff too and I'm ancient :P. Her mum was a bit annoying though.

The speed of her fame and Grammys / sellout shows unfortunately points to a Britney esq meltdown if it isn't well controlled. She is barely 18 and the fans in the doc are OBSESSED.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.