The Medium (Xbox Series S, X, PC)

31 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Fuck it, I'll go in for an MC of 80. It won't happen but I like living dangerously. 

12 minutes ago, MattyP said:

:) I'll go for a straight 80. It has a soundtrack composed by Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame. Worth at least 5-10% for that.

:quote:

If the animation wasn't PS2 levels it would get 80.

Because the animations are PS2 levels it will get 60.

People love some good animation. :)

(Every video has shown frame rate issues as well which doesn't bode well) 

Created a thread for the score guessing so I could just edit the first post, rather than editing a post midway through the thread and then having to quote myself for visibility.

18 hours ago, cassidy said:

I liked layers of fear. 

I really enjoyed Layers of Fear, I remember actually paying the £10 to back it based on the early access demo they did. Terrible screen tearing and juddering and the DLC was piss unfortunately.

Also liked Blair Witch, genuinely creepy bits in it and the dog companion was wonderful.

Never played Layers 2 or Observer.

Anyway, MS must have seen something in this to make it a timed exclusive so here's hoping it's at least ok.

44 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Anyway, MS must have seen something in this to make it a timed exclusive so here's hoping it's at least ok.

Hopefully there's something there, the game was apparently originally announced for 360/PS3/WiiU so presumably they've had time to work it out properly. 

I'm surprised, given the game has no combat that it's reviewed as well at it has. Apparently, the story and characters are great, but it has that Bloober-level jank it's earlier titles had. 

Oooh, I didn't realise this was from the same dev team as Observer. I wound up really enjoying Observer but I had to really push past the truly woeful two-generations-old character models and facial animation - they were completely at odds with the truly stunning environments. 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oooh, I didn't realise this was from the same dev team as Observer. I wound up really enjoying Observer but I had to really push past the truly woeful two-generations-old character models and facial animation - they were completely at odds with the truly stunning environments. 

They may not have made much progress on those fronts... There are moments when the characters look super imposed on the background.

I'm excited to jump into this. 10 hours of brooding atmospheric slow burn with by pretty much all accounts a banging surround soundtrack sounds great to me. 

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

truly woeful two-generations-old character models and facial animation - they were completely at odds with the truly stunning environments. 

Based on a few things I've seen I think there may still be a bit of that though not enough to spoil things. 

Jinx at @earlymodernsteve

I wonder why that happens. I know nothing about how games are made but I would have thought the environments would be a much more intensive time sync than getting character models right? I'm surprised MS didn't bus in some character experts to help out especially if their past games have had the same thing. (I know they're totally 3rd party but MS have known this was likely to be their first exclusive title for a while).

Anyway. Still fired up to play it. 

2 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

They may not have made much progress on those fronts... There are moments when the characters look super imposed on the background.

Yeah, I skim-read the EG review and it specifically mentions stiff animation in the cut scenes, "especially the eyes". I'm not holding out much hope to be honest. However, with Gamepass it's not costing me anything to at least give them game a fair shot. :) 

On a different note, I hate to be that guy, because this doesn't affect me as I'm playing on PC, but I read this from DF:

The Medium is available on both Xbox Series X and Series S as well as PC, meaning that this is the first title we've played that cannot run on prior generation Xbox One hardware - and that makes sense, factoring in the unique presentation. Resolution-wise, The Medium uses dynamic resolution scaling with a wider variation than is typical, most likely due to the dual viewport display used throughout the game. While exploring the world in full-screen, resolution tops out at native 4K on Series X and 1080p on Series S: during these segments, DRS scaling averages out to roughly 1440p on X and 900p on Series S. However, when exploring in split-screen mode, the minimum resolution drops further. On Series X, the lowest case is around 900p while the Series S equivalent is 648p. Remember, the game is literally rendering two independent scenes at the same time, explaining the drops in pixel count.

Dual-rendering or not, 900p on MS's flagship console is not a good look. The devs have already said there's patch coming that at least fixes the fucked frame pacing. Here's hoping they manage to eke out some more performance in future patches. 900p on a 4ktv looks awful. And Series S owners really get the shaft: 648p on 4kTV ... oh boy.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I skim-read the EG review and it specifically mentions stiff animation in the cut scenes, "especially the eyes". I'm not holding out much hope to be honest. However, with Gamepass it's not costing me anything to at least give them game a fair shot. :) 

On a different note, I hate to be that guy, because this doesn't affect me as I'm playing on PC, but I read this from DF:

Dual-rendering or not, 900p on MS's flagship console is not a good look. The devs have already said there's patch coming that at least fixes the fucked frame pacing. Here's hoping they manage to eke out some more performance in future patches. 900p on a 4ktv looks awful. And Series S owners really get the shaft: 648p on 4kTV ... oh boy.

Yeah but DF said all that (because thats what they do) and still said that whilst they hope some of it gets fixed fundamentally its totally fine the majority of the time. I get that people want things to be perfect and feel like their getting their next gen moneys worth but for me its the sort of complaint that just doesn't affect real world gameplay. Saying that though, I will play it sitting 5 foot from a 55" OLED display so am interested to see how it looks in reality. I may eat my words. 

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

We'll have to wait and see how the PC fares. I'm guessing that Ratchett on PS5 isn't rendering everything at once but is using the SSD to instantly load in the new areas that you warp to?

• MattyP changed the title to The Medium (Xbox Series S, X, PC)