The Medium (Xbox Series S, X, PC)

MattyP

19 hours ago, Thor said:

Aye, it is. While some have commented on the "this is getting tedious" line of dialogue being ironically apt, I had no problem with that sequence. I thought it was pretty good actually - no shit stealth! I got to another stealth bit on the weekend and kept getting caught. I haven't gone back since and have zero inclination to. 

Never had any issues on the stealth bits to be fair. Are you taking it steady.. keeping crouched and holding your breath? Think I only got caught once and that's because I just bolted it though rather than just making my way though steadily. Think there are only a few stealth bits from what I recall..... can't really say it spoilt the game for me if anything added a bit of tension to the game and upped the pace a bit.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Think there are only a few stealth bits from what I recall..... can't really say it spoilt the game for me if anything added a bit of tension to the game and upped the pace a bit.

Upping the tension, yes; upping the pace? Er, how? If those stealth sections weren't there I'd have continued past and got further. 

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Upping the tension, yes; upping the pace? Er, how? If those stealth sections weren't there I'd have continued past and got further. 

Probably poor choice of words. Just meant it changes the game from a fairly sedate adventure to a more tense engaging experience. I guess those bits were added to have an element of fear into the game - in the same way Pyramid Head does in Silent Hill 2.

On 06/02/2021 at 20:08, Majora said:

Just finished this. After mostly enjoying it, I have whiplash from the horrendous end stretch that makes me regret playing it to be perfectly honest. Enormously problematic.

Hide contents

We don't know who gets shot at the end but we have to assume that either Marianne or Liliane dies and that they die in order to contain the demon in some form. If Liliane dies then the demon dies because it is a manifestation of her sexual abuse trauma. If she dies, it dies. If Marianne dies then the demon continues to live but will be unable to find a vessel/medium strong enough to bridge the two worlds. Despite the ambiguity of the ending, it would make zero thematic sense for one of them to not die. 'You can't always save everyone.'

So here's the massive fucking issue. We have two completely innocent characters here, one of whom has suffered trauma as a result of childhood sexual abuse. And the message of the game is what? Unless an innocent party in the game dies the manifestation of sexual trauma can't be contained? The answer to the problem may well be the victim of sexual abuse killing herself, or at least getting her sister to do it. Astonishing.

Worse (yes, it might somehow get worse) Liliane is uncharitably framed as the cause of the massacre. Victim of sexual abuse ----> lets demon that is manifestation of trauma free in order to escape from burning house ---> massacre occurs when the demon possesses the nurse ---> innocent party has to die to contain the demon. The victim and the trauma itself are implicated as problems that must be eradicated. Clearly the game does not absolve Richard of an enormous amount of blame but it's barely a sliver away from victim blaming. The victim's trauma must not be allowed to exist.

Literally the only way the ending isn't a disaster if there is a sequel that reveals, gotcha, that neither of them die, but there is nothing in the ending or the game as presented in its current form that could lead one to believe that is a plausible or thematically coherent outcome.

I don't believe Bloober intended for this to be a callous, astonishingly insensitive ending but that's what it is.

Just finished this, and this is a fair summary I think. If you're going to deal with the themes and issues this game attempts to grapple with, you really need to give it some more thought about what you're actually trying to say.

Thought it was a pretty solid B game apart from the ending, it does really make me want a new Silent Hill though.

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

Just finished this, and this is a fair summary I think. If you're going to deal with the themes and issues this game attempts to grapple with, you really need to give it some more thought about what you're actually trying to say.

Thought it was a pretty solid B game apart from the ending, it does really make me want a new Silent Hill though.

There's evidence/speculation that Bloober's Team is working on exactly that. Tis a long video but here you go.

TL;DW - the creator of the video is not happy and explains why with eloquence and subjective logic (it's not an I AM ANGRY AND UPSET ON YOUTUBE type video). Bloober's Team output makes it clear they lack tact and subtlety or even basic understanding of how trauma works.

So yeah, make of that what you will. There's probably a new Silent Hill coming that's probably a far cry from the game we're hoping for.

I’m right at the end and this is the nothing-est game I’ve played in a while.

The story is uninteresting and poorly told. There are virtually no mechanics to speak of but those few which are present are clunky and fussy. The puzzles aren’t puzzles, or even obstacles. The split gimmick doesn’t really have any effect on the storytelling or gameplay. So you’re left with a walking simulator horror game, which’d be great except it’s not even one iota perturbing or offputting, never mind frightening. Most of the enemies look funny and poor old Troy Baker must have thought he’d have more effects on his voice because he sounds ridiculous. I can’t stop laughing every time he turns up. I have no idea who this is for or what it wants to achieve.

The only mildly interesting streak it has is the Polish vibe and nods to Polish history, but the writing has all the subtlety of a penguin biscuit joke. Weird. Just weird. I’ve played one other Bloober team game, Layers of fear, which I thought had some decent moments and scares in a hammy sort of way.

Edit - I finished it. The ending is open but unengaging and kind of made me realise how little I cared about the plot as I had no preference for the possible options the ending leaves on the table. 

Having said all that I’m glad it exists because many people will enjoy it and the barrier to entry for giving it a try is really low. It’s a perfect game for a subscription service. 

Finished this and thought it was a good effort. Weirdly reminded me a bit of A Plague Tale in the sense that it's a AA developer doing a AAA style game - complete with an interesting non-Anglo setting you don't usually see in media. The fixed camera angles and lack of combat were also brave and welcome design decisions.

My main complaint is not so much with the voice acting as with the script - for a game so clearly in thrall to Silent Hill it's a bit odd that the protagonist walks around talking like a sassy Life Is Strange-style character for much of the playtime. It's like if Silent Hill 2 was set in the Gilmore Girls universe and kind of undercuts the atmosphere the devs were going for.

Right, I’m trying to get out of the water pump area and the Maw is blocking my path. No matter what I do, he grabs me and it’s a pain in the arse because you have to sit through all his dialogue again after restarting.

What am I doing wrong? I’m losing my patience with it.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Right, I’m trying to get out of the water pump area and the Maw is blocking my path. No matter what I do, he grabs me and it’s a pain in the arse because you have to sit through all his dialogue again after restarting.

What am I doing wrong? I’m losing my patience with it.

Spoiler

You need to do the out of body experience thing and run in the door to the left of it. Then, when he follows you in, return to your body and run through the door he’s blocking. 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Hide contents

You need to do the out of body experience thing and run in the door to the left of it. Then, when he follows you in, return to your body and run through the door he’s blocking. 

Thanks!

I still can’t do it.

Spoiler

I walk over towards the spirit world door, press B to go out of body, he grabs me, so it tells me to press B again. He then grabs me again in the real world and kills me.

What an absolutely shit bit of game design, in that it gives you no indication of how you’re supposed to do it or what you’re doing wrong.

I presume there’s an exact path to take, as the game mechanics are pretty much non existent, but I’m not sitting through the Maw’s speech again, just to get immediately killed.

Has anyone got a foolproof method for it, so I can see the end of the game?

Spoiler

Don’t move when you first enter the room, but do the out of body thing right away, then walk your spirit body through the door on the left - he follows, you then get a clear run to the exit. 

It’s a rubbish puzzle. 

24 minutes ago, Popo said:
  Hide contents

Don’t move when you first enter the room, but do the out of body thing right away, then walk your spirit body through the door on the left - he follows, you then get a clear run to the exit. 

It’s a rubbish puzzle. 

I’ve tried that, but I get grabbed as soon as I wander over there. Should I run or crouch and hold my breath? I’ve tried both ways, but I haven’t cracked it yet.

I’m sure it’s easy enough if you do it just right, but the reloading is a nightmare.

Oh man it’s a shame that final it fucking your. I’ve hear others mention it as well but I only needed 2 goes at it. 

Probably best check a video as it’s going to be a hard one to describe. I liked the ending of the story (ethics aside) so it would be a shame to miss it. 

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve tried that, but I get grabbed as soon as I wander over there. Should I run or crouch and hold my breath? I’ve tried both ways, but I haven’t cracked it yet.

I’m sure it’s easy enough if you do it just right, but the reloading is a nightmare.

You need to 

Spoiler

Run and pull the lever to electrocute him - it's in the top left corner of the screen (you should see some blue sparks).

It is perhaps the most obscure moment in the game - and made so much worse by the unskippable dialogue.

Yeah it’s a really poorly designed bit. I think it took me four goes to do it. It’s the preceding unskippable dialogue that amplifies the annoyance, especially because that goes on for longer than it takes to actually do the section correctly.

54 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

You need to 

Hide contents

Run and pull the lever to electrocute him - it's in the top left corner of the screen (you should see some blue sparks).

It is perhaps the most obscure moment in the game - and made so much worse by the unskippable dialogue.

Yeah, I’ve seen that, but I can’t get past him. I’m sure I’ll do it later, but it’s really poor.

I presume I’m right near the end, but what a shit way to finish the game.

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I’ve seen that, but I can’t get past him. I’m sure I’ll do it later, but it’s really poor.

I presume I’m right near the end, but what a shit way to finish the game.

It's  not great even though the camera movement makes it clear what is required.  I think it was a reverse out of the out of body experience which actually worked, although that doesn't altogether make sense - let your spirit self get caught (can't be avoided?) then hold b and let your mortal self run for the switch.  After a couple of failures it worked, and it only took a second or two.

Games got a fairly large patch.

7 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

It's  not great even though the camera movement makes it clear what is required.  I think it was a reverse out of body experience which actually worked although that doesn't altogether make sense - let yourself get caught (can't be avoided?) then hold b and run for the switch.

Games got a fairly large patch.

Ah right, that sounds like it. I have been pressing B to make him let go, but he just grabs me again and kills me before I can move. I guess it's just a case of being in the right position, so he can't grab you the second time.

Any idea what the patch is for? I've not had any issues with it on my play through.

• 1 month later...

Finished last night and on the whole I thought it was ambitious and effective, but with some caveats. 

The split screen dynamic isn’t used nearly as much as should have been, most puzzles don’t really rely on it and it just ends up being a gimmick which is a shame because sometimes they used it well. 

And that’s the same for the puzzles generally, all the good ones using the split screen or time lapse stuff etc. are front loaded. Much of the last half of the game is simply walking and just solving the most rudimentary of puzzles that require little to no thought and on some occasions are just trial and error. The last section of the game really drags because of this and there is far too much backtracking in that section, bringing the game almost to a standstill. 

But overall I enjoyed it, I thought the story was done well even though it was heavy going and quite upsetting. Yeah it was clunky and perhaps confusing with the messaging, but it’s just a story and it’s good to see developers tackle this kind of thing, even if they don’t always get things right. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a couple of sessions on this game think I'm around half way through. Usually story based games with little action aren't my cup of tea, but I'm suitably motivated to keep going with this one. I fully agree the shit stealth can do one, but even my clumsy non stealthy disposition has manged to get through these sections so far. I really like the atmosphere and the setting of the game, and part of that is the fact it's Poland based, which is pretty unique in my experience. 

No section has out stayed it's welcome so far and the sound design (as others have commented) really is top notch. I will see if I can get to the end by the end of this week as I have some time to myself for a change! 

I finished this last night too then had to immediately read a summary of the story as I lost focus about half why through and forgot who was who.

I really liked the split reality sections too, having them on screen in parallel was a really good system... helped by the fact that it looks and sounds amazing too.

Finished the game tonight. That last water tank section was a stinker, but otherwise enjoyable and harks back to the horror titles of the 90's. I quite enjoyed the relative straightforwardness of the whole thing. I think the constant obsession in modern gaming with large maps and sandbox gameplay makes this more simplistic title a treat in the present climate. 

• 1 month later...

Bit harsh, but it’s a £25 game at most. I enjoyed my time with it, but probably because of Game Pass. The third part was pretty boring, push up to reveal story, with the occasional button press to climb up or down something.