Jump to content

DIRT 5 - November 2020


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, spatular said:

 

you can say the same thing the opposite way, compared to ridge racer/mario kart etc. so i think its in the middle really.

 

Yeah, which is why I say straddling the line. It divides both camps so the obvious thing to do is just say it's slap bang in the middle :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:


Where are you getting your PS5 from? I only ask as with the Series X I bought from game they sent codes making this £30 and then with the £7 I earned in reward points I could pick this up for £23 and it’s very tempting....

 

The mentions of Driveclub out me off but at least explain all the broken stuff ;);) 


ShopTo for PS5.


It doesn’t compute with me why anyone who likes racing games wouldn’t like DriveClub, it had a difficult start but it became one of the very best arcade racers :D. Handling was perfect and there was hardly a duff track. It still annoys me that I missed the last couple of DLCs as I didn’t realise they were there before it was removed from the store :(.

 

Not sure what to do due to the split opinion on this, I’m keen to have a PS5 racer though, especially if it uses the Dualsense stuff otherwise I could plump for Hot Pursuit. I’m still working my way through Wreckfest too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:


Where are you getting your PS5 from? I only ask as with the Series X I bought from game they sent codes making this £30 and then with the £7 I earned in reward points I could pick this up for £23 and it’s very tempting....

 

The mentions of Driveclub out me off but at least explain all the broken stuff ;);) 


When did you get sent the Game offer? I have a ps5 preordered from Game but didn’t receive anything about DIRT5 ☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Oh aye it's a long way from sim but it's also a long way from the sideways nonsense of DiRT. I guess PGR really is as close as you'd get to it. Fuck Activision for closing Bizarre. And fuck MS for not making PGR 2 bc. If they can fork out $7bn for fucking Bethesda they can fork our whatever chump change they need for the licensing. And don't give me your red tape excuses, I don't want to hear them * kicks stone and slumps off muttering *

 

Yeah, PGR (and also of course MSR) is exactly where I went to as well.

 

I'm not sure anyone has attempted anything similar this gen (real cars, "arcade but... credible" physics etc).  It used to be much much more of a thing.

 

As for PGR2 it's not MS' fault, another victim of per game BC requiring re-licencing everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

 

Yeah, PGR (and also of course MSR) is exactly where I went to as well.

 

I'm not sure anyone has attempted anything similar this gen (real cars, "arcade but... credible" physics etc).  It used to be much much more of a thing.

 

As for PGR2 it's not MS' fault, another victim of per game BC requiring re-licencing everything.

 

Yeah but you throw enough money at summat and you'll get it. They're the publisher so they can make it happen. Anyway I might have been a bit facetious. It hides the pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm not sure anyone has attempted anything similar this gen (real cars, "arcade but... credible" physics etc).

 

Have you forgotten about Forza Horizon? It has an adjusted version of the Forza Motorsport physics engine, and the handling characteristics of PGR/MSR and in my opinion sits snugly between arcade games like NfS/Blur and FM/GT.

 

So to clarify, I think it's more like:

 

Project Cars 3 - LOL!

Mario / Sonic / Crash Bandicoot /F-Zero - fantasy racers

Riiiiiidge Raaaceeerrrr - so silly that it's in its own genre

NfS / Blur / Split|Second / FUEL - arcade racers

Forza Horizon / Test Drive - sim undercooked

Forza Motorsport / Gran Turismo / GRID - sim rare

Project Cars 1 and 2 - sim medium rare

iRacing / Assetto Corsa / ACCompetizione / RareRoom - sim well done

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:


When did you get sent the Game offer? I have a ps5 preordered from Game but didn’t receive anything about DIRT5 ☹️

 

Just came in here to say I just received that code in relation to my PS5 pre-order so hopefully you have the same now. I wasnt intending on getting Dirt 5 but now it seems like I really have to as the other options are Control and Avengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

 

Just came in here to say I just received that code in relation to my PS5 pre-order so hopefully you have the same now. I wasnt intending on getting Dirt 5 but now it seems like I really have to as the other options are Control and Avengers.


Thanks Buddy. Nothing yet but hopefully something soon. Still awaiting for the console to be shipped from GAME yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

 

Yeah but you throw enough money at summat and you'll get it. They're the publisher so they can make it happen. Anyway I might have been a bit facetious. It hides the pain.

 

I think the problem with a game that old is even finding out who to licence FROM now might be impossible.  Ideally of course they'd think about this and licence it so they can sell that product (and only that specific one) in perpetuity.

 

23 hours ago, Meers said:

 

Have you forgotten about Forza Horizon? It has an adjusted version of the Forza Motorsport physics engine, and the handling characteristics of PGR/MSR and in my opinion sits snugly between arcade games like NfS/Blur and FM/GT.

 

So to clarify, I think it's more like:

 

Project Cars 3 - LOL!

Mario / Sonic / Crash Bandicoot /F-Zero - fantasy racers

Riiiiiidge Raaaceeerrrr - so silly that it's in its own genre

NfS / Blur / Split|Second / FUEL - arcade racers

Forza Horizon / Test Drive - sim undercooked

Forza Motorsport / Gran Turismo / GRID - sim rare

Project Cars 1 and 2 - sim medium rare

iRacing / Assetto Corsa / ACCompetizione / RareRoom - sim well done

 

I put Horizon more down the sim route, plus it's less a racing game in general but fair point, it's certainly the nearest we have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not that impressed by PS5 performance on this. 
 

The mode screen says prioritise visual quality or frame rate, but unlike PS4 they aren’t the options. You get resolution or imagine quality. 
 

Both don’t have the tearing of the PS4 version, but they do have frame stuttering (playing on 1080p). I found pop in less on prioritising resolution but it’s still not solid. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2020 at 16:46, scoobysi said:


ShopTo for PS5.


It doesn’t compute with me why anyone who likes racing games wouldn’t like DriveClub, it had a difficult start but it became one of the very best arcade racers :D. Handling was perfect and there was hardly a duff track. It still annoys me that I missed the last couple of DLCs as I didn’t realise they were there before it was removed from the store :(.

 

Not sure what to do due to the split opinion on this, I’m keen to have a PS5 racer though, especially if it uses the Dualsense stuff otherwise I could plump for Hot Pursuit. I’m still working my way through Wreckfest too.

WRC 9 is amazing on PS5, half price just now on the PS store too :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 11:25, sbrandon111 said:

WRC 9 is amazing on PS5, half price just now on the PS store too :)


In the end I plumped for WRC9 over Dirt5, £21.50 using some ShopTo PSN cards was too good to miss after the positive reports on here. The DualSense is fantastic, the triggers and haptics are used in a much more subtle way than I feared they might be which is great as straightaway it just felt right, no real adjustment needed.

 

Hopefully Dirt5 will get a discount in the run up to Xmas and I’ll pick that up too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep nearly buying this around the £30 but saw on HUKD a link for £20 and in the comments £15 for the base game, at £15 it was too good a price to not take a punt on it.... jus waiting for it to download now so at least the code worked.

 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dirt-5-amplified-edition-xbox-one-series-xs-argentina-ps2036-via-vpn-using-code-at-eneba-all-for-gamers-3603958

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2020 at 22:59, Shimmyhill said:

I keep nearly buying this around the £30 but saw on HUKD a link for £20 and in the comments £15 for the base game, at £15 it was too good a price to not take a punt on it.... jus waiting for it to download now so at least the code worked.

 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dirt-5-amplified-edition-xbox-one-series-xs-argentina-ps2036-via-vpn-using-code-at-eneba-all-for-gamers-3603958

Nice one dude, thanks, that was easy enough! I didn't really need or want this but for £20 you can't grumble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, grungekid said:

God damn! I cannot do the RWD ice race for the life of me. Best position I've gotten to is 2nd. Does anyone have any tips for this?

 

Kick the fuck out of the difficulty and just get past it. I'm assuming none of the other cars you can use are 4wd, it's specifically RWD only?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

Kick the fuck out of the difficulty and just get past it. I'm assuming none of the other cars you can use are 4wd, it's specifically RWD only?

Yeah literally just RWD. I think I might have to do this as they are so difficult to drive on ice

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a simple way for the RWD ice event. Simply go out with someone who is racing game obsessed for a few years, have a couple of attempts at the race with them sat next to you, wail that you can't do it and pass them the controller then go and do something else for an hour or so while they let their inability to admit defeat take over. When you come back, voila! 1st place gained and race complete. 

 

Simple and stress free. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say i never stick with racing games but god damn i'm loving this bad boy. The game is so fun to play and finding the race difficulty on hard really fun. The races are always neck and neck on the finish line and the graphics are amazing even on framerate mode. The only problem with the game is the online mode. I find it very very basic and needs some work. Is there plans for an update at all online or is that it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.