DIRT 5 - November 2020

ryodi

1 minute ago, McSpeed said:

Review codes for current-gen were only sent out late last week and I only got back to work today. And apparently the next-gen version arrived a while sooner already for some X Series X and/or PS5 testing media folks, though the embargo on that runs a bit longer.

Also didn't realise this game was made by effectively the old Evolution Studios staff, making it a spiritual successor to WRC, MotorStorm, Driveclub and OnRush!

Yeah this game makes a lot of sense now I know that.

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Has it got an rally point to point. The fact I'm asking screams that it doesn't.

Negative.

There's Dirt Rally for that now. Which will become WRC in the near future because of their license acquirement.

I was curious about this but the fact it's "very Dirt" as Moosegrinder says, and very much not "Dirt Rally" means I think I'm just going to get irritated playing this when I really just want to play Dirt Rally on my new XSX

I'll either hold out for the next iteration of Dirt Rally, whether that's WRC by name or not...or maybe even try to get DR 2.0 on the cheap.

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

I was curious about this but the fact it's "very Dirt" as Moosegrinder says, and very much not "Dirt Rally" means I think I'm just going to get irritated playing this when I really just want to play Dirt Rally on my new XSX

I'll either hold out for the next iteration of Dirt Rally, whether that's WRC by name or not...or maybe even try to get DR 2.0 on the cheap.

I'd imagine WRC 9 will appear soon if you don't already have it.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

There's Dirt Rally for that now. Which will become WRC in the near future because of their license acquirement.

2023 is still quite far away. We'll likely get WRC 10 and WRC 11 from Kylotonn before that. Probably means Dirt Rally 3.0 will be the last one in that line, unless they want to go full sim with one and find a middle ground with the other while leaving the real arcade driving with Dirt. 

13 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

I'd imagine WRC 9 will appear soon if you don't already have it.

WRC 9 will be optimized for the Series S|X at launch. It is a Smart Delivery title so free upgrade if you own it on Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5y4BcqjVSQ

9 hours ago, cowfields said:

2.0 is very cheap on the Sony store just now. It's the goty edition with all the DLC etc. I bounced off it initially (didn't like the co-driver's voice compared with the first, or maybe I'd had my fill of Dirt) but just bought it again and loving it.

Edit: sorry, see you are looking at xbox

8 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Review codes for current-gen were only sent out late last week and I only got back to work today. And apparently the next-gen version arrived a while sooner already for some X Series X and/or PS5 testing media folks, though the embargo on that runs a bit longer.

Also didn't realise this game was made by effectively the old Evolution Studios staff, making it a spiritual successor to WRC, MotorStorm, Driveclub and OnRush!

Dirt 4 was developed by essentially the old Evolution Studios staff so I just assumed that it would be the same for this.

On 02/11/2020 at 14:25, Boozy The Clown said:

Has it got an rally point to point. The fact I'm asking screams that it doesn't.

Have you tried WRC9? It’s one of, if not the best rally games ever made and it’s a PS5 and Series S/X launch game! Highly recommend giving it a go! 

19 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Forza Horizon Rally with none of the open world.

To be fair, this is DIRT 5. Someone close to the game even literally described it like this.

That said, my main gripe is the lack of feel in the cars. Turn the wheel, no matter your speed and track surface, and the car just turns. Even with all assists off, there's very little challenge in keeping it pointed in the right direction while pushing the throttle.

Yes, it's an arcade racer, but so were Sega Rally and Ridge Racer and both were still challenging the player to go faster through a natural-to-motorsports risk reward system. DIRT 5 feels pretty devoid of that as bouncing off a wall will result in hardly any speed loss (null)

I also had an annoyance last night, losing 1 hour or so of save progress after an update. Could be to erase any in-game progress made by media before the actually launch of the game but it cost me some gameplay time.

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, Forza stole it from them given Playground games has a lot of ex-Dirt staff.

Thinking about it, PG should really produce another Horizon rally spin-off. The original FHR was miles ahead of any DiRT game since part 3 (after Raeburn left to form PG). Still is, judging from @McSpeed's impressions up there.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Funny you should mention Sega Rally because Revo also involved a lot of the same people before Codemasters.

Heh, DIRT 5 actually reminds me a lot of Sega Rally Revo. I did not like that game so much.

56 minutes ago, Meers said:

Thinking about it, PG should really produce another Horizon rally spin-off. The original FHR was miles ahead of any DiRT game since part 3 (after Raeburn left to form PG). Still is, judging from @McSpeed's impressions up there.

You have obviously not played DiRT Rally 1 and 2.0 then :)

4 hours ago, McSpeed said:

You have obviously not played DiRT Rally 1 and 2.0 then :)

AmbitiousAccomplishedAntarcticgiantpetrel-size_restricted.gif.4b62284d983b3a875a95e0cdae4d026b.gif

I have and still am when I can. I wasn't talking about the DR branch, but the main DiRT one.

Since D3, the franchise has gone stale as far as I'm concerned. Gymkhana didn't do it for me, and the traditional rallying had just a few stages which were cut up in parts and reused in reversed because they couldn't be arsed to add more tracks. And the less said about D4, the better. Bland undetailed handling, uninspired track design and even less of the stuff that made the first 2 games great.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:39, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

for 27 quid on CDkeys  why not? PC version purchased 

The best 27 pounds!  i have spent on a game, ever I think. A lot to love here.

It does absolutely nothing new and yet It's glorious, and handles so good  ( apart from cars that are shit in real life )  

very arcadey controls just like Sega Rally,  big bold scenery great lighting and weather effects - plus I don't get any tearing or owt.   On the PC that is.

i5 9th Gen  16gb ram  8gb Radeon card

In regard to point to point,  at least it does one-way percentage races!

Tip: Turn the commentator voice OFF :lol:

Very much the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed of Rally games - extremely clever and well presented tracks / locations.

Its pretty much what i wanted Driveclub to be when it came out. 

No idea what it's turned out like on the consoles mind you.  But what i have here is brilliant for the price i paid.

Additionally?  watch this review its ace :lol:

23 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Is there still tearing on the Xbox one x version?

It looks like it's been fixed. This is on One X with performance mode, mind

https://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/dirt-5-review/

Here's my review. Tl;dr it's fun, it's arcadey, the difficulty is all over the place, if you don't like the dude bro nature of the brand it ain't gonna change your mind.

If you're looking for handling minutiae this isn't the review for you either. Sorry.

47 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

So been playing this on series x and there’s no rumble at all.  

Pad rumble is working on other games and words on my one x so what’s going on with series x?

is this a known bug? 

It was a bug pre-release on the Xbox One but they've fixed it so I'm not sure what's going on. I did submit it here

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd-YqrLl5GxlUZU3evPi5sK18cA80Awp9Hhc4vwTDOHit-9fg/viewform