Evercade

ulala

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

I am very tempted to see if they'll accept 

"Additional Testing By"

as my name so it really fucks up the credits.

Reminds me of the XKCD comic where they named the child DropTable

• 2 weeks later...

https://evercade.co.uk/evercade-announces-renovation-collection-1

Evercade Announces Renovation Collection 1 – Coming Early 2022

Renovation Collection 1 will bring twelve incredible 16-bit games from Japanese publisher Telenet and its US subsidiary Renovation.

With the collection to be labeled number 23, this will be the first cartridge in our 2022 lineup with the release scheduled for early 2022. Pre-orders for this cartridge open in November 2021 following the launch of the Evercade VS.

These twelve titles were never released in Europe during their original run and so this is a first for the UK and EU to have non-imported physical versions of these 16-bit titles.

The games list is:

• Arcus Odyssey
• Beast Wrestler
• Dino Land
• El Viento
• Exile
• Final Zone
• Gaiares
• Granada
• Sol-Deace
• Traysia
• Valis: The Fantasm Soldier
• Valis 3

This is by far the best Evercade collection so far in my opinion. Granada, Gaiares, Final Zone and Arcus Odyssey are all great fun. Gaiares and Granada especially are two of my very favourite MD games.

I got a mystery Mega Drive cart a few weeks ago (some of you may have seen the video) and Arcus Odyssey was hidden on it.

Be really good to have a proper version of it, I liked the look of that but (no spoiler) the version on the cart isn't.... great.

Outside that this is what I love they've done alongside the obvious collections.  Stuff I either can't have played or (tanglewood / Quest arrest etc) would be prohibitively expensive to.

This is brilliant news. Not only have you got some really interesting curios, but some of those cost a bomb. I regretted selling my copy of Gairies but not enough to pay the prices it currently goes for. Now I don't need to. Here's hoping they add proper emulation scaling like has been promised. Even @Sketchmight buy one then!

43 minutes ago, strider said:

This is brilliant news. Not only have you got some really interesting curios, but some of those cost a bomb. I regretted selling my copy of Gairies but not enough to pay the prices it currently goes for. Now I don't need to. Here's hoping they add proper emulation scaling like has been promised. Even @Sketchmight buy one then!

Unlikely. I have a 60Hz Mega Drive with RGB SCART running on a Sony Trinitron CRT with Mega Ever Drive Pro. Does it get better than that?

The lack of proper scaling options seems like such a schoolboy error. Seriously, 1:1 correct aspect ratio scaling is not weird, or strange, or difficult. It's honestly simpler than any other scaling; it's simpler than anti-aliasing or non-correct scaling that blends pixels.

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Unlikely. I have a 60Hz Mega Drive with RGB SCART running on a Sony Trinitron CRT with Mega Ever Drive Pro. Does it get better than that?

The lack of proper scaling options seems like such a schoolboy error. Seriously, 1:1 correct aspect ratio scaling is not weird, or strange, or difficult. It's honestly simpler than any other scaling; it's simpler than anti-aliasing or non-correct scaling that blends pixels.

On the Facebook groups there have been some previews of new scaling & scanline options - wasn’t clear if that was for VS or both.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/09/2021 at 10:19, Dudley said:

I suspect capacity is on the 6(?) arcade ones coming out with the VS.

I’ll be surprised if we get any more announcements until the end of the year now. I’m hoping we get a Natsume pack at some point.

Recently picked up the Codemasters release. Some fun stuff and it's great to have Cannon Fodder on the go but bloody hell, the last bit of CJ The Elephant, where you have to survive a volcano throwing out countless rocks at you. Bloody hell, did they seriously expect anybody to finish it? :lol:

4 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Recently picked up the Codemasters release. Some fun stuff and it's great to have Cannon Fodder on the go but bloody hell, the last bit of CJ The Elephant, where you have to survive a volcano throwing out countless rocks at you. Bloody hell, did they seriously expect anybody to finish it? :lol:

The *last* bit? Even the first level is impossible.

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

The *last* bit? Even the first level is impossible.

Oh don't get me wrong, without a ridiculous use of save states I wouldn't have got anywhere with it. Most of these Codemasters games on the NES seem a sight harder than their Spec counterparts I grew up with. I imagine age and the simple speed of both machines makes a difference but yes, very much being taken to school by most of these!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Has anyone bought an EverSD? Seem to be going for $40, sorely tempted for being able to have a mixed portable and tabletop rig when the VS comes out.

Comments on that video say that they don’t work with the latest firmware.

Not sure I’m behind the idea of these. It’s not like with the Everdrive things where you’re playing games on a dead system.

But no, I’m not interested.

8 hours ago, deKay said:

Not sure I’m behind the idea of these. It’s not like with the Everdrive things where you’re playing games on a dead system.

But no, I’m not interested.

I agree. Although the Evercade isn’t really for me (I own the handheld version and haven’t used it in months) I think it’s price point for the hardware & games is great value.