IGNORED

Evercade

ulala

15 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

It's not licensed anywhere exclusively. It can't be, because I know of at least two services it's available on. 

I'd imagine that the license may be with whoever did the recent remaster so in addition to licensing the games directly from whoever owns the speedball and chaos engine stuff they then have to take an additional license out with the current Gods owners so it basically becomes too expensive for them to bother with. You're obviously going to know more about this than me, but basically I don't think they're interested in getting multiple games by different publishers licensed for a single cart, that's why they've largely been focusing on carts named after publishers rather than specific systems (from an upcoming interview).

11 hours ago, deKay said:

Amazon have delayed the Worms and Indie Heroes carts from the 28th May to 4th August. Argos and Funstock still have the May date.

This is actually an official delay now :(

9 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Yes, we've done this before, and as I pointed out before, there are many kinds of open source license and lots of emulators are available on the sort of open source licence where you can indeed use it commercially, for no cost. Mame 0.134 (I think, can't be bothered to go and look up the exact version again), Mednafen, Fuse, Vice, WinUAE ... Those alone will let you release just about anything you want, commercially, without needing a licence. (Except you'll need kickstart ROMs for WinUAE of course).

It's a good thing we were specifically talking about ROMs then wasn't it.

But as we also said at the time, even if free in cost, plenty of them would also require them to open source their entire frameware.

10 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

It's not licensed anywhere exclusively. It can't be, because I know of at least two services it's available on. 

This was posted at the top of the page direct from them:

bitmap.PNG

Not really but it's an important part of their body of work and one of the ones with an easily obtainable (technically rather than licenceily) version on a format they can support.

And when the collection has so few games and 60% of them are kinda the same game, it would be nice.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

This is actually an official delay now :(

It is worrying isn't it, let's hope their claim to have it entirely sorted now forever is more accurate than their last claim to have it entirely sorted now.

56 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Not really but it's an important part of their body of work and one of the ones with an easily obtainable (technically rather than licenceily) version on a format they can support.

And when the collection has so few games and 60% of them are kinda the same game, it would be nice.

I haven't ever seen it running. I remember the adverts for it in the magazines of the time. It looked amazing. It doesn't seem to get much of a mention in retro circles so I presumed it wasn't actually very good. Might fire it up later and see...

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

This was posted at the top of the page direct from them:

bitmap.PNG

The Amiga thing is definitely down to licensing the kickstart ROMs, but that's perfectly possible if they're willing to pay for it. 

Gods is on Antstream as well as being remastered, so the fact there's a remaster can't prevent other people from licensing it outright. It's probably down to the fact that Evercade would launch it as a physical product. 

It might be that the Bitmap owners or anyone else will only licence the game to run on the official ones.

Which makes sense, they were originally tested on those for instance, you do run the risk of bugs.

5 hours ago, deKay said:

They don’t need to licence the kickstart ROMs any more though.

Thought they were running their own emulators for all the games? If that's the case it would be an Amiga one but Cloanto is still selling the KS ROMs to this day and goes after companies/people who don't license it. All of the Amiga emulators have to use the KS ROMs, even the free ones.

56 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Thought they were running their own emulators for all the games? If that's the case it would be an Amiga one but Cloanto is still selling the KS ROMs to this day and goes after companies/people who don't license it. All of the Amiga emulators have to use the KS ROMs, even the free ones.

See what I wrote further up - there are free, open source alternatives to Kickstart. You don't need the ROMs.

16 hours ago, deKay said:

See what I wrote further up - there are free, open source alternatives to Kickstart. You don't need the ROMs.

Do they work though? I remember in the old days UAE had a "kickstart replacement" in the package but it never worked for me and I always had to find proper ROMs. 

16 hours ago, deKay said:

Can you name some as I'd be interested to lay around with them. Best I can find is Aros m68k but that's not 100% compatible and seems to be having sound issues. From what I can tell thats been worked on for over 10 years but still not good enough,  not to the extent of commercial cart application (unless I've missed something). Searching Google for other Amiga emulators and its just page after page of WINUAE, FSUAE etc. Felt a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack.

There's an ARM (Raspberry Pi) port of AROS that includes it. I didn't test it very far but it ran Cannon Fodder just fine :)

I'd always been led to believe that NES and SNES carts all contained proprietary Nintendo code (even third party games) that was needed for the games to run on Nintendo's consoles. Hence why Nintendo felt justified in stopping ROM sites from hosting even third party games. Does anyone know if this is true?

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

I'd always been led to believe that NES and SNES carts all contained proprietary Nintendo code (even third party games) that was needed for the games to run on Nintendo's consoles. Hence why Nintendo felt justified in stopping ROM sites from hosting even third party games. Does anyone know if this is true?

Surely that's just the 10NES/CIC chip, which wouldn't be part of a dumped ROM anyhow? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIC_(Nintendo)

5 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Of course they can stop roms being downloaded free on websites 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Dudley said:

"Hey you know those games you bought before, here's how we should have done them in the first place".

That said, some very good stuff here.

Yes, can't help but feel that way too. That said, the Data East collection is irresistible. Wish they had the budget to get Robocop on there.

On 18/05/2021 at 12:19, Dudley said:

"Hey you know those games you bought before, here's how we should have done them in the first place".

That said, some very good stuff here.

Lets be honest we all love buying the same game twice. Especially different versions of said game. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, totting it up I think it's 8 from 38 have had other versions on Evercade before.

Yeah it's actually a small number and as a lot of them play differently I'm fine with that.

Double Dragon is disappointing but they can't get the emulation right on it.

I've called a halt at buying every cart at 20. I will now on be picking up 'must have' carts. So will defo be picking up the Bitmap Bros cart, as that was one of my most wanted. The other being Capcom collections.

Founders edition of the VS - limited numbers, black console, two controllers, all 4 arcade carts and two “normal” carts, various art cards/keyrings/collectors bumpf - £170.