rllmuk

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it.

What are peoples thoughts?

I'm really interested in the reactions of certain personalities in the retro community - it's put me off following a LOT of people.

Its made by Blaze, that's all I need to know.

They've obviously thrown a lot of marketing money around given how many US retro youtubers have been pimping it.That Gamesack guy seems to be the only US youtuber thats been pretty critical of it so far. Strangely enough, most UK ones have ignored it so far.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Its made by Blaze, that's all I need to know.

They've obviously thrown a lot of marketing money around given how many US retro youtubers have been pimping it.That Gamesack guy seems to be the only US youtuber thats been pretty critical of it so far. Strangely enough, most UK ones have ignored it so far.

It appears that Joe from Gamesack is getting a lot of pushback from certain parts of the retro community for his honest findings/ review, as they expose their own lack of integrity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ulala said:

It appears that Joe from Gamesack is getting a lot of pushback from certain parts of the retro community for his honest findings/ review, as they expose their own lack of integrity. 

Good on him for being honest. All the usual faces are out pimping it and taking their cut, it would be weird to have positive reviews across the board.

Criticism shouldn't be taken as a negative if there is justification for it. He's had issues with the device he had and from what I've read, he's tried different capture devices to no avail. 

If it's got flaws, Blaze should fix them. If they can't or won't, then the review and criticism stands in my view

• Upvote 1

I cannot believe that they shipped it with the wrong button configurations, a basic error that shows that absolutely zero testing was done.

I also cannot believe people in the industry like John Hancock somehow overlooked this massive error.

is it really just - send free stuff, get a good review?

It could be the case that Joe got a defective model. John Linneman didn't mention any sound issues in his Digital Foundry review, and if there was anyone that picked up on it I would have thought it would be him. It could be that he didn't play it as much through HDMI and just got lucky when he was capturing. Maybe. I wouldn't be as trusting with your average YouTuber.

Joe has proven that it wasn't his HDMI cable or capture device by using some other hardware.

The button mapping issue is pretty unforgivable though, but they have said they're fixing it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

I cannot believe a reviewer like John Linneman did not mention the button mapping problem.

He did. :p

Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks and all of these stem from the limited set of options for tweaking the experience. Firstly, the controls - buttons cannot be configured and not every default setup quite works for me. With NES games, for instance, A and B are mapped to the corresponding buttons where I would typically prefer X and A. Mega Drive/Genesis games also make use of A, B and Y which, again, doesn't feel entirely natural to me. Super NES is fine, of course, but it can be an issue with other platforms. At least some games allow for button configuration changes.

Joe made a better job of highlighting the problems with the mapping though, like with Double Dragon II.

• Upvote 1

I pre-ordered, and added the two extra cartridges when announced.

With regards to the button mapping - is it that big an issue? If you haven't played before, you learn as you play and the manual tells you what each button is. If you have played before, you can re-learn.

• Upvote 1

I've just ordered one of these based on the strength of Linneman's review and from the hands-on Nick (our features editor) has had with it (review next issue).

That Gamesack video is interesting. Nick hasn't experienced anything whatsoever and like John, he'd notice it.

Button mapping is pretty poor, but it looks like it only makes a few games unplayable and a fix is in the works (although it shouldn't have probably got to this stage).

I love the fact it's supporting developers (the Mega Cat pack looks amazing) and the emulation is supposed to be pretty solid so I'm happy to drop £60 on it. The fact it has a Lynx pack on the way swung it for me.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, strider said:

I've just ordered one of these based on the strength of Linneman's review and from the hands-on Nick (our features editor) has had with it (review next issue).

That Gamesack video is interesting. Nick hasn't experienced anything whatsoever and like John, he'd notice it.

Button mapping is pretty poor, but it looks like it only makes a few games unplayable and a fix is in the works (although it shouldn't have probably got to this stage).

I love the fact it's supporting developers (the Mega Cat pack looks amazing) and the emulation is supposed to be pretty solid so I'm happy to drop £60 on it. The fact it has a Lynx pack on the way swung it for me.

i just don’t get the love for it.

the game selections on the carts are mostly garbage - am I missing something?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, ulala said:

It's what's to come and there's loads of games in the pipeline. The Lynx collection for one then Xeno Crisis, Tanglewood and they are due to announce another tomorrow. They are all dirt cheap and very easy to collect, they could be doing these for years to come.

43 minutes ago, ulala said:

Are they though? I guess it comes down to what you like or what from something like this.

For me, 15 quid is cheap enough to take a punt on even a six game collection if I'm interested in a couple of them. Mappy Kids has never had a release in the west so that's on my radar. Return Of Double Dragon costs 50 quid plus, this is a solid alternative and you're supporting the licence holders. I like it and the collectible nature of the carts clearly appeals to me too.

• Upvote 3

I like what they've done with the retro style cartridge cases and I can see how they could be quite collectable. I'm not sure about the whole handheld thing though, I think I would have preferred it if it was just a console that plugged into a TV with multiple controllers. I don't know why, but the games do still feel like they were designed for the big screen.

Although the same old Atari and Namco games have been on various retro collections for 25 years now ( as a comparison, when Namco Museum was first released in 1995, the games were around 15 years old!), it does feel like paying money for the same old games again. I guess the newer and unreleased games make it different.

I can also totally understand the issues with some retro YouTubers, let's be honest they're a bunch of hacks that will promote any old shite to get some "free stuff". It seems like it panders to the worst type of hoarding mentality. I've said this before, but I used to quite like the Immortal John Hancock and then it became really obvious he was being used to promote the worst retro shite, giving glowing reviews to products that were terrible or in the worst case - a completely different version to the one that was released. 

• Upvote 1

Will say I'm def all in. Pre-ordered mine ages ago and every game that's due at launch. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Will say I'm def all in. Pre-ordered mine ages ago and every game that's due at launch. 

Brill, thanks.  Shall we say mid-June then?

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Nathan Wind said:

:blah:

10 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

:lol:

I’ve gone all in as well so you have a double chance :D

I've got the fancy launch pack and the 2 indie publisher carts but if it's any good I'll collect everything for it.

6 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've got the fancy launch pack and the 2 indie publisher carts but if it's any good I'll collect everything for it.

I went for this one because I'm insane :lol:

https://funstock.co.uk/collections/evercade-bundles/products/evercade-all-in-edition-1-10-white

Even though it says Super Double Dragon on the box, the actual version is Return Of Double Dragon, so that's quite good as it's far superior to the western release (I've written an article about it in the next issue). Seeing things like that suggests that the people behind it are putting a little thought into the collections. I'd prefer things like a Pac-Man collection rather than the mishmash we're currently getting and it's weird that the interplay games are across two packs when they could most likely fit on one but I'd imagine that's how they are appealing to publishers.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, strider said:

I went for this one because I'm insane :lol:

https://funstock.co.uk/collections/evercade-bundles/products/evercade-all-in-edition-1-10-white

Even though it says Super Double Dragon on the box, the actual version is Return Of Double Dragon, so that's quite good as it's far superior to the western release (I've written an article about it in the next issue). Seeing things like that suggests that the people behind it are putting a little thought into the collections. I'd prefer things like a Pac-Man collection rather than the mishmash we're currently getting and it's weird that the interplay games are across two packs when they could most likely fit on one but I'd imagine that's how they are appealing to publishers.

Ooh now I’d initially ordered this on amazon and I’ve cancelled it as well after a change of heart. 

Worked out about £125 I was spending with another 3 game packs. Now you’ve posted that one above I’m tempted to order again now for that all in pack. 

Aargh. 

Oh wow that's one hell of a bargain! Cancelled my Amazon stuff and bought from there :lol:

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Sod it I’m in for that price.

Order placed. 

I was watching a video last night and when he was playing the technos pack it loaded as Super Double Dragon but then the Return screen came up and the music was from Return to. The Pico one has some really interesting curios on it as well.

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Oh wow that's one hell of a bargain! Cancelled my Amazon stuff and bought from there :lol:

Yeah, it basically means you're getting the Evercade for free. That's how I justified it anyway (says the man who just spent £120 on four N64 games).

• Upvote 2

Stuck it on Paypal free credit for a few months too. Can sell off some bits and bring down that price after lockdown :D

Why is everyone excited for a Blaze emulation box? Is it likely to be any good?

Not excited just need to scratch that retro itch and I assume someone who made the game is remunerated mayhap? 

And I have no room to even consider collecting retro consoles. And the time to do that for a good price was about 15 yrs ago. 

• Upvote 1