rllmuk

Due to the reverse engineering on Mario 64 and painstakingly restoring all C code from the original machine instructions (accurate to the point where you can build the ROM using the SDK and it will produce the same checksum as the actual ROM images - insane work) - there is now a complete port of Mario 64 to directX 12. 

Videos on YouTube, and various downloads around. 4k support and buttery smooth. Nuts! 

Thanks for reading

So I’ve been just looking at this on various places. It looks like there’s also ports to OS X and Linux up and working. 

Did you get the version which needs to pull the assets from your own dumped rim from the cart you totally legitimately own?

9 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Did you get the version which needs to pull the assets from your own dumped rim from the cart you totally legitimately own?

The version I've got is just a single exe.

7 hours ago, robotattack said:

The version I've got is just a single exe.

Same here, then it'll create a save and config file.

It's beautiful, isn't it? Just got the first star and pottered around the castle grounds. Runs really well and plays perfectly.

What size is the exe? Mine is around 25MB - that doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Around 6MB. PM me and I'll send a link if you want. 

• Upvote 4

I was just thinking about this. Someone explain to me: aside from nostalgia, what's great about Mario 64? I know it's important in gaming history and all that but I've played it a few times and, well... Its just a bit dull. So come on. In 2020, what's great about it aside from a step in gaming history? 

Well I can't answer why you don't see it but for me to this day I get great pleasure in just doing back flips and triple jumps around the castle grounds. Mario still handles like a delight and going deeper into the levels the amount of control and precision he has manoeuvring through the obstacles still gives me joy. 

Oh and yeah, it is massively nostalgic, but that would be for nought if the game felt like shit to play. It doesn't, it still feels incredible. Graphically it's timeless too.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Goose said:

That’s what mine was. 

I was getting ready to ask if people had tried it on their Pentiums and Voodoo 2 cards. Then realised it's a Windows port. 

Arghhhh! What even is a PC these days :omg:

I believe it's 25 if you've got the naughty "All the assets are in the exe" version and 6MB if you have the marginally less naughty "Just the code" version that needs the N64 ROM to work.

17 minutes ago, Barnard said:

I was getting ready to ask if people had tried it on their Pentiums and Voodoo 2 cards. Then realised it's a Windows port. 

Arghhhh! What even is a PC these days :omg:

It requires DirectX12, which means Windows 10 and a semi-new card :)

• Upvote 1

runs amazing with a steam controller added through steam and launched in big picture mode too

Managed to grab this but I'm screwed if I can get my controllers working with it. I have x2 Dualshock 4's and some Hori PS4 pads. And nothing. :(

It doesn’t work on my £130 ASUs vivobook but that’s not really a surprise. 

it’s a shame there’s no OS X port floating around the seven seas although from the thread about it on gbatemp some people have managed to compile for OS X. 

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

I believe it's 25 if you've got the naughty "All the assets are in the exe" version and 6MB if you have the marginally less naughty "Just the code" version that needs the N64 ROM to work.

The version I've got doesn't require the ROM. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I'm going to assume this is going to be okay as we've previously had OpenLara in the browser posted here...

Super Mario 64 in your browser: https://froggi.es/mario/

There's also a guide to build your own version for PC or Linux here. You'll need to get the source code and ROM yourself. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Managed to grab this but I'm screwed if I can get my controllers working with it. I have x2 Dualshock 4's and some Hori PS4 pads. And nothing. :(

fwiw, worked instantly with an xbox 360 pad but then I imagine it just uses XInput.

1 hour ago, robotattack said:

The version I've got doesn't require the ROM. :unsure:

Compressed maybe then?

28 minutes ago, Dudley said:

fwiw, worked instantly with an xbox 360 pad but then I imagine it just uses XInput.

Compressed maybe then?

Maybe. Perhaps the other one hasn't been optimised properly? The one I have seems to be the one people are playing on YouTube and has been discussed in various places.

7 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Try adding it in Steam and going into Big Picture mode. It recognises my Dualshock 4 and the buttons are already mapped.

Ok, investigating the .7z is 6MB and the resulting .exe is 25mb.

I think we're just looking at it at different times.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Ok, investigating the .7z is 6MB and the resulting .exe is 25mb.

I think we're just looking at it at different times.

:doh:  Yes, you're right. I was initially running it without extracting it and seemingly thinking the size of the 7z was the exe. Sorry for creating confusion. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I'll never call Vulcan or DX12 a mind fuck again after looking through Mario 64's rendering code and trying to get my head around the N64's rendering pipeline (as a hobbyist). 

Just thinking about the PC port, I wonder did they re-implement the game-level rendering code, or completely re-implement all the Ultra64 libs. I'm guessing the latter, which is a huge accomplishment on top of the decompilation project.

Are others getting garbled music on this one?

Does the game auto-save automatically?

There's a version of this out now where the camera can be fully controlled on the right analogue stick rather than the incremental way you could with the original c-buttons.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jamesy said:

There's a version of this out now where the camera can be fully controlled on the right analogue stick rather than the incremental way you could with the original c-buttons.

Ah was just about to sit down and have a proper go. Now i need to find this new version! 

haha Sorry! I wouldn't know the first thing about trying to set it up and getting it to work. Looks cool though!

1 minute ago, jamesy said:

haha Sorry! I wouldn't know the first thing about trying to set it up and getting it to work. Looks cool though!

It's all good. Yeah i found the pre compiled version a few days ago - i could have sworn it already mentioned you could control the camera with the right stick but it didn't.

I'll have a search just in case I can find this new one though =)