Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

On 01/11/2020 at 19:20, Thor said:

I have a hunch this could end up being a really good entry in the series.

Who wants this week's lottery numbers? ;)

edit: I am really glad this is reviewing well - something to tide me over until the PS5 next week. :D

I was playing it earlier on my One X and to be honest the frame rate and occasional screen tear were a proper turn off. I am very spoiled with having a gaming PC though but I'm certainly looking forward to upgrading to the Series X version tomorrow. Apart from that the first hour seemed just like more Origins/Odyssey but with a stronger emphasis on the combat. (For now, for reasons apparently)

6 minutes ago, yashiro said:

The new Series X.

Ah damn :( No excuse really. On the last gen consoles, okay fair enough, things have moved on now. But some barely tarted up up-port to the most powerful console ever should run perfect - this is definitely lack of polish. I know, I know, le covid etcetera, but still disappointing. Especially since reviews seem to indicate this is one of the decent Assassins.

11 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Anyone on pc able to play using vpn? I could with watch dogs legion but just get a pre loaded message on this. 

I was able to unlock it from New Zealand, and I can at least get to the benchmark to play “chasing the 4k/60/ultra dragon”.

there’s not been an Nvidia driver yet^. It appears to be scaling across cores quite well but the occasional massive and weird Ubisoft drop.

about 7GB vram usage with anti aliasing set up to high;  6.6 when set to medium, which is giving an average around 57fps.

^ now I’ve found one. Will I gain a frame?!

8 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Yawn 

Let’s have some more PC setting talk!

There’s no discernible difference between the previous and the new Nvidia driver in the benchmark.

Definitely turn AA down one notch though to gain a few frames.

42 minutes ago, footle said:

I was able to unlock it from New Zealand, and I can at least get to the benchmark to play “chasing the 4k/60/ultra dragon”.

there’s not been an Nvidia driver yet^. It appears to be scaling across cores quite well but the occasional massive and weird Ubisoft drop.

about 7GB vram usage with anti aliasing set up to high;  6.6 when set to medium, which is giving an average around 57fps.

^ now I’ve found one. Will I gain a frame?!

hey Footle are you using epic game store or Ubi connect? I'm connected to New Zealand but no go just get the unlocks on the 11th message next to the game.

8 minutes ago, Dave White said:

hey Footle are you using epic game store or Ubi connect? I'm connected to New Zealand but no go just get the unlocks on the 11th message next to the game.

Ubi connect (free code with an and cpu). Need to be connected to the vpn when ubi starts up, then can disconnect.

you can get performance stats, at any point, with frame and perhaps even per cpu core usage by pressing f1. Who cares about the actual game?

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Anyone on pc able to play using vpn? I could with watch dogs legion but just get a pre loaded message on this. 

Yeah, just played an hour or so using tunnelbear. It's exactly how you would imagine an AC game with Vikings to be so far lol.

PC settings talk. The resolution scaling makes things really blurry so I've gone 1440p native and it seems pretty stable at 60fps with everything cranked up. The HDR on pc seems shit though. Dark scenes look really washed out and that's a big shame as Odyssey on pc has probably the best HDR I've seen.

5 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I would say I found the opening act fairly dull, and only really started to enjoy it once it moved on from that.

Can definitely see this. I’m also finding the controls all wrong and don’t know why.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

PC settings talk. The resolution scaling makes things really blurry so I've gone 1440p native and it seems pretty stable at 60fps with everything cranked up. The HDR on pc seems shit though. Dark scenes look really washed out and that's a big shame as Odyssey on pc has probably the best HDR I've seen.

Yeah, after being blown away by the HDR on Odyssey, it's a shame they've royally fucked the HDR on this. Still, it looks really good in SDR. I've gone 4k at 80% Res scale, and ultra settings apart from AA which I have set to low. Game looks amazing and averages 60fps. :)

40 minutes ago, footle said:

Can definitely see this. I’m also finding the controls all wrong and don’t know why.

Having dodge on square took some getting used to. It's basically Dark Souls but circle is crouch, which isn't what you want to be doing when someone's swinging an axe at you. I probably should've changed it, but it's fine after a while. 

This is far closer to Witcher 3 style than it's ever been. I haven't had chance to do much sneaky stab stab yet. Seems fun though. England looks very pretty. I'm not a fan of ice lands so I got the fuck out of Norway asap.