IGNORED

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

HarryBizzle

• 2 weeks later...

Nine (!) hours in and this finally clicked. Not that I wasn’t enjoying the time up until that point but the sheer number of things going on was a bit overwhelming, and I felt a bit muddled.

Now I’ve started up my first settlement, found a groove with the fighting and unlocked a few… familiar gameplay mechanics, looking forward to exploring the swamps and woodlands of Englandvorshire as a Viking assassin. Which is a pretty rad combo in fairness.

I'd forgot I'd picked up some of the dlc in the sales at some point.  I've been pooting around Ireland doing trade posts and hunting evil droods.  My gear and level make it all too easy, but I do find these rpg ACs the perfect games to kick back and relax to. 

I wish it wasn't quite so easy to blunder across an Order members.  It's a fun occurance when there's loads, but not when there's only a dozen. A king mission led me straight to one of them. 

23 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I do find these rpg ACs the perfect games to kick back and relax to. 

Think this sums up the game for me. I’m about 15 hours in now and finding it to be undemanding escapism (apart from when I run into a zealot I’m nowhere near powerful enough to deal with)

There’s probably a bit too much going on in the opening hours as with all these games but found once I settled into a rhythm of what is enjoyable in terms of icons and collectibles, the ‘noise’ calmed down. The game is now a fun, good-looking sandbox.

I'm back on this. Truly it is the game that never ends. I "completed" it a couple of months ago, having done the main storyline, the modern-day sections, the Asgard sections and (just as a bonus) the Wrath of the Druids expansion. Now all I've got left to do is (deep breath) the epilogue region, the Order of the Ancients, the Animus anomalies, the Siege of Paris, Mastery Challenges, river raids, the new Ragnarok expansion when it comes out, and whatever else they decide to release for this game!

I'm around 5 hours in now and it's really good.  They've nailed the Viking raids, I love the layout of the map and there are plenty of ace characters. 

The only downside is that so far, combat feels a bit clunky and simple. I'm sure I'll pick up more abilities but to go from a fully loaded up badass Kassandra to a norseman who can only swing an axe or fire a bow with no extra cool moves feels a bit empty. Hopefully I'll find more abilities soon.

Oh and fucking hell it's so pretty! 

I was actually looking forward to the dlc coming out this month but then Elden Ring happened and now it needs to wait.

Just crossing my fingers thst the dlc ends up good.

Well the Siege of Paris DLC is surprisingly shit.

Spoiler

They've gone for exactly the same "mud and rats" approach as A Plague Tale, but it's all done so, so badly. Literally no-one buys a Viking power fantasy RPG to swipe ineffectually at rats. Eivor can take down a dozen heavily-armoured soldiers with ease but gets eaten to death by rats in a few seconds. Rubbish.

The landscape is drab, the side missions are incredibly repetitive, you only actually get to see inside Paris for a single mission and then you can't get back in again, and the voice acting is abysmal - lots of English speakers doing terrible 'Allo 'Allo accents, with every character seemingly pronouncing words however the hell they feel like it. The game can't even decide if "Francia" is pronounced with a soft or hard C, and flips between them with every conversation.

I really liked Wrath of the Druids - I think it's the best bit of Valhalla, overall - but this one is so much worse on every level. God only knows what Ragnarok is going to be like.

Fifty hours in now and I’ve defogged maybe half the map. This game goes on forever.

Not mad at it though. Except the Zealots. Those guys (and gals) are diiiiiiicks.

Siege of Paris is done, which just leaves the Odyssey crossover to do and then I’m finally done with Valhalla. I have zero interest in playing Ragnarok. 

The rats and the rebel missions were rubbish and Eivor’s voice was even more annoying in this DLC than the main game for some reason. Her whispering voice and her pissed voice are the worst.

I did like the AC Unity style assassination missions in SoP though but the implementation was half arsed. I guess Hitman has spoiled me when it comes to that style of gameplay. Hopefully Infinity goes back to more environmental verticality and the stealth/assassination style gameplay of earlier AC games and please let it not be another 100+ hour epic.

On 08/03/2022 at 08:45, Garwoofoo said:

Well the Siege of Paris DLC is surprisingly shit.

Hide contents

They've gone for exactly the same "mud and rats" approach as A Plague Tale, but it's all done so, so badly. Literally no-one buys a Viking power fantasy RPG to swipe ineffectually at rats. Eivor can take down a dozen heavily-armoured soldiers with ease but gets eaten to death by rats in a few seconds. Rubbish.

The landscape is drab, the side missions are incredibly repetitive, you only actually get to see inside Paris for a single mission and then you can't get back in again, and the voice acting is abysmal - lots of English speakers doing terrible 'Allo 'Allo accents, with every character seemingly pronouncing words however the hell they feel like it. The game can't even decide if "Francia" is pronounced with a soft or hard C, and flips between them with every conversation.

I really liked Wrath of the Druids - I think it's the best bit of Valhalla, overall - but this one is so much worse on every level. God only knows what Ragnarok is going to be like.

Yeah, Droods was miles better. I didn't mind the Charles story, the mad bastard. 

The rat lure arrows are the best thing about 'Paris'. I find them endlessly amusing and probably overpowered. 

On 09/03/2022 at 23:42, glb said:

Fifty hours in now and I’ve defogged maybe half the map. This game goes on forever.

Not mad at it though. Except the Zealots. Those guys (and gals) are diiiiiiicks.

like mercenaries and phylakes before them…

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

like mercenaries and phylakes before them…

True but I struggle more with the Zealots than any other foe in the series. Not sure if I’m just a bit cackhanded with the combat but have to be in the ‘zone’ to beat them, otherwise I just flail around hopelessly missing parries.

Although I’ve cheesed a couple because they glitched out and just stood in one spot taking arrows in the head. Which was nice.

I think the mercenaries in Odyssey were way better than the Zealots in Valhalla. You could end up with a whole bunch of them on you at the same time which made for some fun moments, particularly if you threw a few fighting animals into the mix.

I finished the Valhalla crossover event which was great, mainly because

Spoiler

it brought Kassandra back (although what did they do to her face!?).

My saga is done (unless they pull me back in with the Basim DLC).

I actually didn’t know about the crossover event, and just accepted the mission. Funnily enough had just hooked up with Randvi too so was curious about who was behind the goings on (hoping it wasn’t my new Viking bae)

The actual reveal got a proper cheer from me. The crossover is a fun step away from the main map.

Now midway through Cent. Away for a couple of weeks but hoping for some lazy weekends just enjoying the surroundings and ticking off icons. Its a fun gameplay loop, pleasingly moreish and a comforting bit of escapism.

12 hours ago, glb said:

I actually didn’t know about the crossover event, and just accepted the mission. Funnily enough had just hooked up with Randvi too so was curious about who was behind the goings on (hoping it wasn’t my new Viking bae)

The actual reveal got a proper cheer from me. The crossover is a fun step away from the main map.

Now midway through Cent. Away for a couple of weeks but hoping for some lazy weekends just enjoying the surroundings and ticking off icons. Its a fun gameplay loop, pleasingly moreish and a comforting bit of escapism.

Oops sorry about the spoiler! I've edited my post.

3 hours ago, BongoInferno said:

Oops sorry about the spoiler! I've edited my post.

Haha, no worries. I didn’t phrase my reply very well. Meant I didn’t know it was a special event before completing it. Just bounced on my merry way, so when the reveal happened I had a genuine lovely moment.

• 3 weeks later...

84 hours in, think that’s the tutorial done now?

Still have at least three areas that remain fogged, and so many things to collect. Will plough on with the story I think, then dip in and out for the collectibles/remaining trophies.

One mystery, The Prodigy, had me grinning:

Spoiler

“Smack my Bishop”

Overall I’m enjoying it, but does feel the loosest of the more recent games. Almost like a tech demo for certain mechanics at times, which will then be filtered and more focused for the next iteration. Or not. Maybe the next game will be set in the entirety of South America and take 800 hours to complete?

• 2 months later...

Picked up the last DLC in the current sale for £20. About 5 hours in and I must say it's been worth it already. What a polished and well made addon to an already great game. If the quality keeps the current pace this might very well end up as the best Ass Cred expansion ever, even better than the Atlantis one for Odyssey (which I already regard as one of the best expansions ever, in the history of expansions). 

Interesting..... I stopped playing this a few months ago, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I went on to other games but I do mean to go back.

Binge watched the first 4 seasons of Vikings which has helped...

6 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Interesting..... I stopped playing this a few months ago, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I went on to other games but I do mean to go back.

Binge watched the first 4 seasons of Vikings which has helped...

Out of interest, how far did you play before leaving it? Valhalla has an incredibly slow start, it takes roughly 30 hours to get through the basics where next to nothing interesting is happening but the game doesn't start properly before you're around power level 130ish (earlier if you start the Druids expansion at the earliest level requirement, which is 70 as far as I remember, Ireland was great imo). 

31 minutes ago, Mars said:

That is absolutely ridiculous. 

It might very well be ridiculous but that's my personal take on the game. While I didn't find it directly boring from the beginning I only found it went from good to very good past lvl 130. For the majority of my time with Valhalla I thought Odyssey was the better game but in the end I was a bit torn between the two. I still am, tbh, the both have their pros and cons when directly compared but I think I might give it to Valhalla. 

39 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Out of interest, how far did you play before leaving it? Valhalla has an incredibly slow start, it takes roughly 30 hours to get through the basics where next to nothing interesting is happening but the game doesn't start properly before you're around power level 130ish (earlier if you start the Druids expansion at the earliest level requirement, which is 70 as far as I remember, Ireland was great imo). 

Think I'm about 20 hours in - the ridiculously long 'bloat' in AC games really doesn't bother me.  I will go back and play loads again very soon though, it's a great game.

Good to hear it improves further - look forward to that.  I *think* I bought the Druids DLC too, but I can't remember!