Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

HarryBizzle

I just restarted playing again this past week after finally resolving the crash issues I was experiencing (By replacing the console!!!).

Took me an hour or so to get back into it, but I am there now and looking forward to completing the game.  Currently about halfway through the Cent arc.

On 19/06/2021 at 10:10, cassidy said:

They haven't. So I always save and quit game. 

The only time I've encountered a save issue is doing this. The game hangs on trying to overwrite a previous save and I need to restart the whole game leading to losing a couple f hours of gaming. It's only happened a couple of times but pretty annoying.

I finished the Wrath of the Druids yesterday and whilst it was just more of the same, the Ireland setting was pretty special. The Giant's Causeway looked especially good. 

I was playing through a couple of side quests last night, and came across what surely must be the most annoying NPC in the history of video gaming.  She just kept following me around spouting absolute bollocks for about twenty minutes.  I had to look up how to get rid of her in the end.🤣

Anybody else had the pleasure?

Ive really enjoyed this series for the past few years, highlight being Odyssey, but by the end of these games its just a boring grind, the final odyssey dlc was like pulling teeth.

They build these amazing worlds and fill it with boring fetch quests and no real sense of achievement is ever gained from any of the loot or gear, its something destiny and the likes gets so right and Assassins Creed so wrong.

After playing Chivalry 2 I can't help but just want an incredibly deep and logical combat system in this series that is satisfying. The skill Tree system is like a nebula of no meaning or worth. 

Focussing on the above rather than trying to keep you playing bored shitless for 90+ hours is key for me.

I think I kind of prefer the older-style Ass Creed games, without the RPG elements and skill trees and loot. I reckon you could strip all that out of the current games and end up with a more streamlined, more fun experience. I mean I really liked Odyssey, but that was because of the world-building, the writing and the character of Kassandra. I definitely didn't enjoy the endless inventory management and in terms of skill trees I quickly unlocked the ability to kick people off high cliffs then pretty much stuck with that for the next 150 hours. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes the map being absolutely stuffed full of icons, it means I'm constantly being distracted as I run from one place to another and I like the satisfaction you get from clearing out areas. Valhalla's approach, where all that has been replaced by infrequent "world events" that more often than not turn out to be a pile of rocks or an excruciating comedy skit, doesn't gel with me at all.

Basically I think the series peaked with Syndicate, and isn't likely to hit those heights again.

• 2 weeks later...

82 hours 7 minutes and 51 seconds & finally finished.  🙏😇

Was it worth it yes and no.  I really enjoyed the first 50 hours or so, but the last 3rd was a real slog.  I was determined to see it through, but the overwhelming feeling right at this moment is relief.

• 1 month later...

I spent the last few days playing through the two dlc stories (Haven't finished the main story yet). I enjoyed my time in Ireland. A nice big map, some good missions and things to do. Shame it was raining and foggy so much. France visually was better but I didn't enjoy the story at all.

I did get a really amazing spear from killing all the Cult of Danu (Warning. Power 300 boss fight at the end) but it's so damn useful that nothing now compares.

I'm heading back to the main story next while I'm still in the mood. Who knows. Maybe this time I'll finish it before I drift off to something else. I'm reminded that I haven't done Vinland or the second Asgard story.

About 70 hours playtime so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the main story last night with about 80 hours clocked. 

Overall I think there is a great game hidden within the vanilla game (I can't rate the DLC yet as I've only just started the Ireland one) but it's not paced very well. 

I mean, it's made like an open world game where you in theory can go wherever you like but I'm not a big fan of the Power system and the way that bog standard enemies can be piss easy to beat in one zone and as soon as you cross an invisible border into the next zone you'll get mauled by a wolf in two seconds. 

The basebuilding stuff seemed cool at first but I found it lacking overall, I wish there was more interaction with the villagers and it should've been used for far more missions and adventures. 

For all the things I wasn't too keen on, though, I found a lot of things I loved. The general control of Eivor I find great and it's really satisfying to take out enemies from a distance with the bow before going all stealth and taking out the bigger baddies by cloak and dagger style. Parts of the Norse Mythology stuff was really well done. 

I particularly liked 

Spoiler

the bit towards the end where Sigurd takes Eivor to see the Animus hidden in Norway. The entire journey was epic. Sigurd embracing "paradise", waking up to the same morning over and over while Eivor will have none of it, ending up fighting Odin (who is also Eivor) in a battle not too far from the classic Psycho Mantis fight.

The Asgard chapters were great as well, especially the mysterious stranger and his magic rune paint as well as the final battle against Fenrir, binding the wolf with the golden leash. Didn't care much for Jotunheim, though, apart from the final battle against Loki. 

In the end, it's a classic Ubi game with hits and misses, some great story lines hidden amongst fairly uninteresting ones, padded out progression system with strokes of genius here and there. When the game is good, it's really good but sadly it often falls back on grindy chores and repetitive gameplay mechanics. 

Been playing  some more the last couple of days. I've been addicted to just wandering around, cleaning up hidden treasure and doing the last few raids available on the main map of England. 

I managed to find and kill all three witches before pursuing the Order quest line. Compared to the one in Odyssey this wasn't as fun, especially finding and hunting down the boring and anonymous zealots was a pain. 
Ended up getting the entire Thor armour set so I finally could pick up Mjolnir, that thing is mental in battle.

I decided to start on the first DLC and went to Ireland. I really love the lush, green fields and the slight change in scenery but I was a bit let down by the lack of challenge in this area. I'd assumed that the DLC was designed to be played after rinsing the vanilla game, but turns out that it has a recommended power level of 55 which makes everything far too easy as I was over 300 when I traveled to Ireland. I can basically strip myself of all armour and weapons and using only my fists I still annihilate all the enemy camps in a couple of minutes so I guess I'm going to finish the game with no added challenge unless the France one is harder. 

Is the France one the final DLC or will we be getting another chapter?

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

Been playing some more the last couple of days. I've been addicted to just wandering around, cleaning up hidden treasure and doing the last few raids available on the main map of England.

Almost exactly the same reason I STOPPED playing it…

• 1 month later...

With the next gen updates for Cyberpunk 2077 (played for a few hours but had so many bugs and glitches I have parked it until the next gen update) and The Witcher 3 (have already played but want to do a another playthrough) being delayed, been looking around for a open world game to play on my PS5 and remembered about this game. I see there is a big 1.4 update coming out on the 9th.

How does it compare to the most recent Origins and Odyssey releases, as I adored them?

Also, have read this one is supposed to be quite bogged down with filter and grinding, is that eve with just following the main quest or for people wanting to do side quests etc.

Just to give some context on games I like and ones I bounced off of, as I thought they dragged and seemed to have to much padding and grinding.

Played and loved:

Ghost Of Tsushima

Metal Gear Solid 5

Batman: Arkham Knight (still playing this on and off)

Dishonored 2

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Horizon Zero Dawn

Gave up on:

Watch Dogs 2

Hitman

Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Far Cry 4

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (just couldn't get into this, think partly due to the weapon degradation system)

Just Cause 4

227hrs lv449

im 80% done on the main, so I’m taking my time to completely. clear. the. map. of. icons. 

not just the main icons. All the little treasure and mystery ones too.

I don’t like Norway, nor the north of England, as the snowy wastelands are too oppressive, but the rest of the game has beautiful moments.

Here’s a video of me sailing from Ryde on the Isle of Wight to York, despite unlocking the fast majority of fast travel locations, just because

Mechanically, it’s near identical to Odyssey. 

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Also, have read this one is supposed to be quite bogged down with filter and grinding, is that eve with just following the main quest or for people wanting to do side quests etc.

It's more that the main story goes on forever. I think there's plenty of variety and interesting stuff to do, but for a game about half as long. It's probably only worth finishing if you chip away at it for months on end, or just forget about seeing the end and enjoy it until you've had your fill.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Male or female in this one? I know Odessey was better with a female character for most people? 

Canon Eivor is "let the animus choose". That's female generally but I'm not going to spoil the rest if you haven't played.

5 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Interesting. Yeah I haven't started yet, just picked it up on sale last week and haven't had chance. 

In terms of acting they both seem fine to me. The game doesn't actually care what you pick and I don't think it's as big a difference between the two actors this time around. So whatever you feel like really.

I went with "Let the animus" decide and had a good time