Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

HarryBizzle

This game is still a mess- there are still massive problems with the controls after you customise them. Not only can you not throw certain items, you can’t steal items either. Despite having a clear button prompt saying hold x to steal, with the controls I have set up, holding the button just assassinates the target instead.

Don’t think Ubisoft have even acknowledged the problem so I doubt this will be fixed in the upcoming February patch. What’s the point of allowing your controls to be customised if they actually don’t work with anything but the default?

On 11/02/2021 at 20:38, Retroguy said:

This game is still a mess- there are still massive problems with the controls after you customise them. Not only can you not throw certain items, you can’t steal items either. Despite having a clear button prompt saying hold x to steal, with the controls I have set up, holding the button just assassinates the target instead.

Don’t think Ubisoft have even acknowledged the problem so I doubt this will be fixed in the upcoming February patch. What’s the point of allowing your controls to be customised if they actually don’t work with anything but the default?

Well, it's Ubisoft. 

I still don't understand why on PC, Assassin's Creed 2 worked absolutely fine with a bog standard 360 pad, yet everything goes bananas with anything else. You would have assumed it's an easy fix, but apparently it's beyond them.

Probably too busy sexually harassing each other, I dunno.

But, I'd imagine it won't get fixed anytime soon, if not ever.

13 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, it's Ubisoft. 

I still don't understand why on PC, Assassin's Creed 2 worked absolutely fine with a bog standard 360 pad, yet everything goes bananas with anything else. You would have assumed it's an easy fix, but apparently it's beyond them.

Probably too busy sexually harassing each other, I dunno.

But, I'd imagine it won't get fixed anytime soon, if not ever.

Sadly, I think you’re probably right.

What makes it all the more weird is that the controls have barely changed since Odyssey, so how they managed to let such a massive bug get in there is anyone’s guess. And obviously controls are such an intrinsic element of your game, so they must have known about this early on- like you say, maybe they just can’t fix it, or don’t think it’s worth the time for how many people they think actually customise the controls. 

I eventually just gave up on this, it's so fucking dull to play and the story is uninspired and po-faced. The acting is frequently terrible too. 

It's interesting that each of the last three games has people claiming it's the best of the three. There are mad people who put this top and Odyssey bottom which utterly baffles me. 

I went back to this after a break, and enjoyed the East Anglia quest. But then got dumped into the usual AC situation of being under-powered for the next area so I had to go grind some stuff. After an hour or so of doing that it's returned to the backlog. It looks nice, but it feels like a chore, and knowing there's still loads to grind out I really can't be arsed.

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

I eventually just gave up on this, it's so fucking dull to play and the story is uninspired and po-faced. The acting is frequently terrible too. 

It's interesting that each of the last three games has people claiming it's the best of the three. There are mad people who put this top and Odyssey bottom which utterly baffles me. 

I haven't played Origins or Odyssey but have long liked the look of their settings, do their combat, stealth, exploration and progression work the same as Valhalla?

27 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I went back to this after a break, and enjoyed the East Anglia quest. But then got dumped into the usual AC situation of being under-powered for the next area so I had to go grind some stuff. After an hour or so of doing that it's returned to the backlog. It looks nice, but it feels like a chore, and knowing there's still loads to grind out I really can't be arsed.

Whereas I had the exact opposite problem, I’ve always been overpowered for each area and had to artificially limit myself from spending skill points. I reached one area where there were three 160 power areas to choose from, and I was already way over 160 before I started the first one.

Are you doing any of the side activities? They’re actually a lot more fun in this than most AC games, and don’t take long to do. The world quest ones are pretty varied and build up the setting nicely.

9 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I haven't played Origins or Odyssey but have long liked the look of their settings, do their combat, stealth, exploration and progression work the same as Valhalla?

Similar, but in terms of combat, Valhalla gives you the most options and progression in terms of building your character I would say. It still needs to do more for the length of game it gives you, but it’s a further step in the right direction. It also has a much bigger variety of side activities, but there is much more of a focus on straight on combat rather than stealth assassinations. It also has a darker story, which can be pretty downbeat and draining at times. There’s also a lot more detail that has gone into little incidental areas of the world which the previous two entries were missing.

Origins has a nice sense of place in that each quest hub / town you go to is unique, and a few of the side missions in the area build on this.

Odyssey loses this for a lot of extremely similar settlements bar one or two places, but because of the setting is a much more vibrant area to explore, and the story and quests often have more lighter and comical touches. And I would say as well that certainly playing as the female main character in this and Valhalla, Valhalla’s is a lot more dour and less charismatic. However things like hunting down the cult element are way too drawn out, and this has at least been tailored back somewhat in Valhalla.

In summary, I would say it depends how you take to the story and tone of each, but Valhalla probably gives you the most things to do, and most ways in which to do them.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DumbMagician said:

Been sort of enjoying this over the weekend but the screen-tearing issue (on Series S) really bothers me. They’re never gonna fix it, are they :(

In December I stopped playing the game due to being blocked by 2 main quest bugs that completely prevented me from progressing the story, I had more than had my fill of doing side missions, raids, exploration etc.  One of those bugs had first been notified to them 1 day after release (11 Nov), the other was long known too; it wasn't until the 16 Feb patch that I could progress the game again.  Look at their support pages and there are/ were similarly major bugs in many other main quests too.

I'm not giving ubi my money again, if they release a game and I really want it then I will buy it second hand

TLDR: You are not getting a patch anytime soon :(

32 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

In December I stopped playing the game due to being blocked by 2 main quest bugs that completely prevented me from progressing the story, I had more than had my fill of doing side missions, raids, exploration etc.  One of those bugs had first been notified to them 1 day after release (11 Nov), the other was long known too; it wasn't until the 16 Feb patch that I could progress the game again.  Look at their support pages and there are/ were similarly major bugs in many other main quests too.

I'm not giving ubi my money again, if they release a game and I really want it then I will buy it second hand

TLDR: You are not getting a patch anytime soon :(

I really wish I’d bought Yakuza 7 instead. Lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...

I played this for an hour this evening on my XSX. I can't remember being so put off by a game so quickly. The combat feels entirely weightless, the landscape is dull and the dialogue hasn't engaged me at all so far. I'm not the biggest of AC fans, but I heard lots of good things about this and enjoyed Odyssey for about 20 hours before I put it down, so this is immediately disappointing. It doesn't even look that nice, either. Granted, I'm coming from playing Demon's Souls on the PS5, which is stunning, but this doesn't look as good to me as Odyssey did when I played it last year.

Hmm. How long does it take to England? Is that where it gets good?

On 14/02/2021 at 00:59, deerokus said:

Yeah I played 20 hours or so and looked up how far I was from the end, thinking it must be fairly close, saw I had about another 40 hours and was just nope. It looks gorgeous, the whole world is very evocative, but the gameplay felt like a knock off of Witcher 3 with the same weightless combat. Stealth feels like it is barely an option now. It seems a shame that rather than flogging their staff into the ground to get all this repetitive content, these companies could just make a really decent 15-20 hour game.

On 27/02/2021 at 23:35, DumbMagician said:

Been sort of enjoying this over the weekend but the screen-tearing issue (on Series S) really bothers me. They’re never gonna fix it, are they :(

I'm not normally that sensitive to this sort of stuff but the screen tearing was driving me wild on my Series S.

I should have read this thread before buying this (rookie error, I know). I'm not even sure if I can be bothered to get into it.

Does it do that thing Odyssey does where it forces you to do the side missions to level up so you're strong enough for the main quest? That's when I stopped playing.

55 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I should have read this thread before buying this (rookie error, I know). I'm not even sure if I can be bothered to get into it.

Does it do that thing Odyssey does where it forces you to do the side missions to level up so you're strong enough for the main quest? That's when I stopped playing.

No, there aren't really a lot of side missions per se.

I am about 50 hours in and really enjoying myself.  Reckon probably still a 3rd of the game left to play.  Never got this far in either Origins or Odyssey so I am determined to finish this one.

The levelling up quests take about 5 minutes on average to complete, and there is a decent bit of variety there so not too much of a chore.  The other option is to drop difficulty level,  meaning you can easily take on overpowered enemies at the lowest level.

The real grind and what I have been largely avoiding is collecting wealth and armour.  I collect the really obvious stuff you encounter along the main story, and so far that has been enough to level up my gear to a sufficient level to keep ploughing on.

Yeah I’m inclined to agree with regards to the over-inflated length and padding.

I’m a huge fan of the modern open-world RPG stylings of the last three Assassin’s Creed games. I love exploring their sumptuously detailed worlds, I love all the background lore and I love the historical settings but both Odyssey and Valhalla are just too damned huge for their own good.

I’ve been playing Valhalla solidly since Christmas and am at nearly 140 hours on the clock, despite being nowhere near having cleared each area and have hugely enjoyed it pretty much every step of the way but fuck me it just never ever ends. I’ve explored it pretty thoroughly and think they’ve done a really good job of filling the world with plenty of fun activities (I especially like the hundreds of small environmental puzzles littered around) but there’s no denying that there’s just no need for it to be so long, even if you’re just following the main story. You could easily cut out at the very least a third of the regions and the game wouldn’t suffer one iota. Its pacing would be improved immeasurably in fact.

Even for a massive AC fanboy trapped in lockdown such as myself my attention span is hanging by the thinnest of threads as yet another ealdorman requests my help in killing a local Saxon shitlord.

As hugely impressive as the mind-boggling scale of the things are I think they’ve overstretched the concept with the relentless and seemingly never-ending tales they now tell.

Origins got it just about right in terms of length. A 30-40 hour main story with the same amount of side stuff to do if you want it is fine. Making the central story a 60-70 hour slog with about 20 or so regions to work through is just too much, even for the most ardent of fans.

See you for the next one.

I definitely enjoyed Bayek of Siwa more than the Greek encyclopaedia, I’ve not got Valhalla yet, maybe after I finish Yakuza Like a Dragon.

Do we think their will be another AC game this year?

13 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Yeah I’m inclined to agree with regards to the over-inflated length and padding.

Origins got it just about right in terms of length. A 30-40 hour main story with the same amount of side stuff to do if you want it is fine. Making the central story a 60-70 hour slog with about 20 or so regions to work through is just too much, even for the most ardent of fans.

Totally agree.  origins was the first AC game I every really played and I enjoyed it a lot.  When I read the dev say V was less than Oddessy i thought Ok I'm ready to return to this. I must be 30-35 hours and from reading here and talking to friends about how it never ends I just cant face going back to it. I enjoyed playing it but there are just too many kingdoms and I guess I start to get a bit flighty if i spend too long in one game, makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Syndicate was the last proper AC game and that's a relatively brisk 20 hours compared to this.  I'm over the hundred hour marker and preying for death. I think I am hate playing the game now.

I would like a return to the tightly told stories of old. Maybe they could alternate them with this Witcher style game they've turned the franchise into and everyone can be happy.

Origins was great. One of the things that kept it feeling fresh was that most of the areas were fairly unique and had self contained stories which fit into the broader overarching story.

Odyssey was a mess in comparison. Basically all the areas looked identical and even without all the busywork, they stretched a fairly thin story out over about 60+ hours and gave you little to no payoff along the way. When you finally, after an incredibly prolonged set of fetch quests, find your mum, she has the gall to tell you she can't tell you anything about your dad and it's better if you meet him yourself!

On 13/03/2021 at 09:10, Jamie John said:

Forget reading this thread, why did you buy if you only put 20 hours into Odyssey? If you put 20 hours in there, you would know you've not even come close to seeing the game through. You probably would have got a similar experience just ploughing through a few side missions in Odyssey, levelling up and then carrying on that story.

I personally find the start of modern ACs the worst bit because it takes you so long to get all your abilities plugged back in to go about stabbing the way you want to.

Conversely, I really loved Odyssey and am struggling a bit with Valhalla. Moving everything into the main storyline has led to a very long, very linear game which isn’t really what everyone will want from this series. Previous games felt like they gave you a range of things to do, of which the main story was just one; Valhalla makes you feel like you should just be slogging through the story and everything else is just a distraction. 

In its defence, though, it’s an easy game to pick up and put down. I bounced off it after about 35 hours and left it for a couple of months - I’ve been back on it this week and enjoying it again. I’ll probably see the end of it some day, but probably by playing it in dribs and drabs between other, better games. 

I finished this the other week after 113 hours. It's a strange ending- after the various different stages at which the game is 'over', you don't get credits or anything, just an upswell of music. I had to actually google whether I was missing something, but that was it. And it leaves a fair amount of stuff unexplained, but I guess we're well into the place now where you need DLC to finish the whole story.

There are still so many vestigial elements to the game though. The boat is barely useful after you leave Norway. The bird is all but an afterthought on the standard difficulty. Building up your village after a few early buildings largely nothing accept boosts to feasting, which in itself is largely pointless. Jomsvikings don't really seem to do much, and raids are don't really change how you play the game apart from occasionally reviving a friendly viking. Even the abilities are largely uninspired- I spent a lot of the game with 4 filled adrenaline slots purely because it was quicker to kill enemies with regular moves; the only time you use them is to occasionally mix things up a bit. And  I spent 90% of the game in the first armour set because nothing you get seemed as strong in 1 on 1 combat, which is where the challenge is.

The whole levelling/gating aspect needs a total overhaul too. I played on hard, and after one or two territories in England, I was massively over-levelled. So, I had two choices- I can either release some skill points, or steamroll through stuff. Neither of those are great options, and I spend the latter third of the game constantly with 30-40 skill points waiting to be spent. And that just means you're not growing your character, which is kinda half the fun of a game with RPG elements. Why can't they just either scale difficulty to your level, or at the very least make it that later levels take more experience points?

Don't get me wrong, it must be doing some stuff right to keep me playing for that long, but by the end I just wanted to see the end of the plot and be done with it- once again as in previous AC series entries, the core gameplay loop is nowhere near compelling enough for the length of game. I just felt sorry towards the end for all those hours some poor designer spent creating world missions I'll never play!

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

Vinland...spoiler for a quest.

Hide contents

So headed to Vinland and feel I’m probably missing a reference as I’ve not played any other ac games.  What with the glowing ball thing and isu? 

i totally backstabbed Gorm and seeing his reaction in Niflheim was hilarious...big beaming smile gradually turning to confusion then terror. 

Spoiler

It was an apple of eden which was a thing in some of the earlier AC games: https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Apples_of_Eden

After installing the latest patch last night the game keeps crashing my Series X today (Done it 4 times), as in turns it off completely.

Other than once on Sniper Elite 4 these are the first crashes I have encountered and not liking it one little bit.  Anybody had anything similar?  

Had one crash today and found out in the process it (again) hadn’t saved in the last two hours so I lost all that progress. I’m getting very fed up with this now. Quick Resume in particular seems like it causes endless problems with this game, specifically with it failing to auto save.