Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

25 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

FUCK THIS GAME!

I have just lost about 15 hours of progress - because of a bug on Xbox Series x. Kept playing via quick resume and even though the auto save icon has been showing - it hasn't been saving. Went to do a manual save - whole game locked up and now Im back to where I was five days ago. I was about 3/4 way through the last territory on the map and cannot be arsed to do all that again. Lost all my upgraded gear/loot/abilities and skill points (about 50). 

So pissed off with the game right now - I think Im done. Will just watch the ending on YouTube.

Is this issue with the XSX OS rather than the game, is there an issue with Quick Resume?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Is this issue with the XSX OS rather than the game, is there an issue with Quick Resume?

I don’t know.

Either way I’ve lost a huge chunk of progress and its saying the last save it can see is from the 16th December. 

It would come up with the autosave icon regularly and has quick resumed fine since the 16th. It just wasn’t actually saving anything. Me trying to manually save is what triggered the crash so I suspect the problem lies with UbiSoft. Pretty much ruined the game for me though. 

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I don’t know.

Either way I’ve lost a huge chunk of progress and its saying the last save it can see is from the 16th December. 

It would come up with the autosave icon regularly and has quick resumed fine since the 16th. It just wasn’t actually saving anything. Me trying to manually save is what triggered the crash so I suspect the problem lies with UbiSoft. Pretty much ruined the game for me though. 

That is a shame, gutted for you. Some glitch either on the OS or the game and quick resume. I'd be equally pissed I restarted RDR2 when I had the character glitch probably lost about 8 hours of gametime so if you were enjoying the game you could take a break and then go back to it?

What is it with Ubisoft and save game issues? I can kind of understand why in Watchdogs they would not want you to manually save as it would ruin the whole concept of permadeath, but at least have a solid autosave in place. I gave up on Legion as it just kept losing my progress, there's no way I could continue if it lost as much game as DHP has.

21 hours ago, Hewson said:

Thinking of picking this up in the sale for PS5. Is it still buggy or have patches improved it?

Seems ok as long as you don’t need a save file :lol:

Just like Cyberpunk 2077 I’m going to leave this baking for another six months.

41 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The save system is still buggy as of two days ago. I’d say that’s a big one. 

I read somewhere that there was an issue around manually overwriting the same save file more than 4-5 times makes that save corrupt. I can only imagine you have a limited amount of save slots so, short of relying on the game to autosave, its a bit crap.

I know I'm getting this for Christmas but I might leave it for now and play Immortals instead (which I'm also getting and which doesn't sound quite so buggy).

On 23/12/2020 at 09:52, Hewson said:

Thinking of picking this up in the sale for PS5. Is it still buggy or have patches improved it?

It is buggy as fuck and there are still multiple "cannot progress quest XX.." major issues listed on the ubi support forum:

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/81608/updated-23-12-reported-issue-megathreads-check-here-for-your-issue?lang=en-US

Many of the major bugs have been known since release and are still not fixed and only a few are in the next patch.  Given the current position I'd wait another 3 months before picking this up.

For me personally I have 2 main missions that are stuck due to bugs meaning that I can't currently progress the storyline in the game at all.

There are also a lot of small bugs too, world events that would not complete, crashes etc but these have been fairly infrequent

Personal preference perhaps but the setting and storyline is a lot less interesting than Origin and Odyssey too though I was enjoying it until I got crapped on by the bugs.  I won't be buying another ubi game at or near release for a long time.

Thanks for the warnings, everyone. I know these things are huge, rushed for launch and Covid has been a huge issue but god it’s depressing that something that has sold this many units remains so compromised so long after launch.

Just started this after Christmas- why are the controls so terrible?? There’s no option for a legacy control scheme like the previous games, which means you have to spend ages trying to configure each one manually.

And even if you do, bits of it still don’t work- I have absolutely no way of throwing items when I’m aiming since I have heavy attack set to Y on an Xbox controller. The prompt comes up telling me to press y to throw, but nothing happens. I had to reconfigure it back to RT for heavy attack which worked fine, and then switch it back. Why are there still these major bugs when the game’s been out this long?

I've been trying to get into this and I just can't do it. Last AC I played was Black Flag, and the last one I completed was probably Brotherhood, so maybe I should have caught up first? 

But it's just so dense. The story isn't engaging and the combat is bobbins. Upgrading my gear is impossible as resources seem scarce (unless I buy them with real money, obviously). And everything's so spread out. For me the big appeal of AC was sprawling cities where you could parkour around but there's no height in this and hardly any buildings. 

Should I stick with it? It feels like it could get good but I'm properly forcing myself to play it. 

1 minute ago, Madness said:

Should I stick with it? It feels like it could get good but I'm properly forcing myself to play it. 

I gave it six or seven hours but it is as dull as dishwater so I walked away. 

Decent combat could have made the trudgery bearable but that didn't happen so and there are no other gameplay loops that are at all interesting or rewarding.

1 hour ago, JamesTW said:

Not played it and probably won’t, always thought it was an odd setting, just a load of grey skies, farms, and barns, at least the other 2 in Egypt and Greece are exotic! 

It's absolutely gorgeous. The lighting and time of day make those farms look incredible. 

Don't forget that for people living in other countries, this setting is exotic or at least different to what climate they are used to.

I do have a problem in that it looks bugger all like England.  The buildings etc might be based on something, I have no idea, but the geology seems well off.  It breaks the historical tourism element of the series for me.

Happy enough with it as an random RPG world though.

This looks amazing, and I’m definitely enjoying it despite the fact it can be a bit oppressive at times. But I like the change from the more colourful recent entries to the dreary English countryside, and it does that very well.

The controls are total rubbish though. Now I know why they didn’t do a legacy control scheme- it’s actually impossible to change the button for heavy attack. If you do so, not all the other controls work (ie throwing stuff). So you’re basically stuck with the default controls with no other option if you want to move the attack buttons from the trigger/bumper to face buttons. Rubbish.

On 28/12/2020 at 18:02, monkeydog said:

I do have a problem in that it looks bugger all like England.  The buildings etc might be based on something, I have no idea, but the geology seems well off.  It breaks the historical tourism element of the series for me.

Happy enough with it as an random RPG world though.

Really? The fens and Shropshire (sic), Nottinghamshire (sic) look a lot like England. Perhaps not the bits of England they’re claiming to be, but a lot like the more interesting parts of England at least.

(Shropshire is very Church Stratton/mid wales)

1 hour ago, footle said:

Really? The fens and Shropshire (sic), Nottinghamshire (sic) look a lot like England. Perhaps not the bits of England they’re claiming to be, but a lot like the more interesting parts of England at least.

(Shropshire is very Church Stratton/mid wales)

I think that's it. It's fairly English feeling assets thrown together in a variety of interesting enough ways. It doesn't establish the geography of the areas it's supposed to be. Lincolnshire and Lincoln are outright bad on that front.  Grimsby is awful.*

I'd also say there's something wrong with the colours or quality of a light for the UK. It comes off far too yellow a lot of the time.

As I say though, happy enough with it as an RPG world. It looks fantastic a lot of the time.

* Just not in the ways Grimsby is actually awful

I have a weird bug where ever since I did the yule festival drinking game and saved while I was smashed, every time I load a save my guy is drunk, regardless of where I am or what I was doing.

Quite on brand, really. I guess I could think of it like the switching character vignettes in GTA5.

7 hours ago, wretcherd said:

I have a weird bug where ever since I did the yule festival drinking game and saved while I was smashed, every time I load a save my guy is drunk, regardless of where I am or what I was doing.

Quite on brand, really. I guess I could think of it like the switching character vignettes in GTA5.

You don’t even need to have done the drinking game- mine’s doing that and I hadn’t even played it.

Guess they won’t bother fixing it since the Yule event will be finishing soon, but it would have been nice if they’d have checked for such a prevalent bug before bunging out the seasonal update.

Haven’t been back to this since the save bug erased hours and hours of my progress. 

Quite grateful actually - think I had seen most of what it was offering - and finally freed me up to actually play Demon Souls for the first time (which I’m crap at- but also love).

Cross-Posting from the Completion thread in case anybody has any comments on my points.

A strange but ultimately enjoyable entry in to the series this one. While definitely weaker than it's predecessor in most facets (world, characters, stealth gameplay) it did have a few nice ideas mixed in that kept me playing until the end and the story was pretty damn good. Story and ending spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

I really liked the idea that the Norse pantheon were Isu and that their story had been passed through legend to become the Gods they were thought of. Not as keen on the passing of their essences to future bodies storyline but the devs made it work quite well. 

The ending though was a bit of a damp squib. The story just kind of... stopped without a decent payoff(Norse or Present Day) and a message appears saying "Nice one. Now do all of the side shit you got bored of 20 hours ago." I know the AC series has a maddening habit of finishing game story in DLC but even by their usual standards this one is a bit JohnTravoltaLookingAroundConfused.gif.

England was definitely nowhere near as interesting as Egypt or Greece but had a few nice moments especially at the Southern and Northern extremes of the map. Eivor is not a bad protagonist but is very one-dimensional and, of course, can't escape the shadow of the awesome Kassandra. For me the most baffling decision was the nerfing of the birds abilities making scouting and absolute chore most of the time and making stealthfully clearing our an encampment far more trouble than it was worth most of the time.

So all in all a step back in most ways for me but an interesting story kept me pushing to the end long after I'd got bored of stacking stones for meaningless skill points. Interested to see where they go next as you feel this story arc is coming to an end.

Generally it has been weaker but i did like the ending, at least for Present day.  For Past not sure what else they could have done there.

I wasn't always big full on stealth approach but even in the past it was easier to do .  I think the difficulty went went up because of the nerfing of the bird but on how the guards react to anything suspicious.  Always seemed a bit more sensitive, like they were paranoid and on alert from get go even when they shouldn't have been

• 2 weeks later...

I think this might be the first AC game I actually finish since the original. I wasn't so keen on the Asgard stuff but that aside it's been really enjoyable. Eivor might not be as a charismatic as Kassandra, but he's still well written and I much prefer how much more focused the story, missions and world progression are, and I feel like the environmental puzzles have had more thought put into them.

I also think it's low-key the best looking one yet, the setting's not as obviously exotic as the previous games but the lighting's a massive step up over them, including Origins and Odyssey. Tasteful HDR implementation too, emulating the misty/smoky settings with the soft shadows pierced by bright sunlight and specular reflections. It doesn't always work quite so well in interiors (they'd look a bit better if the peak highlights from the fires were a bit brighter) but that's irrelevant 95% of the time.

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I also think it's low-key the best looking one yet

It definitely has some subtle charms on the visual side.  I reallylike the cloud shadows. Either the way they move across the landscape or the way they cast different parts of taller buildings in light/shadow.