Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

I think the issue with stealth in this is that they’ve nerfed the bird to make it next to useless. In Origins and Odyssey you’d send the bird up to highlight and map out all the guards, treasure etc then plan your assault. In this the bird does fuck all. Even when you’re supposed to use it to find a target all it does is give you a vague idea of where they are without any confirmation you’ve got the correct dude. 

Without that help each attack just devolves in to a brawl because the second you back stab your first victim you inevitably get spotted by some guy you didn’t know was there and it’s all hands to the axe. 

5 hours ago, carred said:

Over a 100 hours in and i've completed the main story.. i think .  At least all the areas have been pledged  Just the second part of the place that won't be named to do.  i assume more stuff will pop up after i do that since the Cultists still need to be despatched.  i've done a fair amount of the side stuff, but still a good chunk to do

Needed to talk to Sigard in the end for  a further quest

21 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

I think the issue with stealth in this is that they’ve nerfed the bird to make it next to useless. In Origins and Odyssey you’d send the bird up to highlight and map out all the guards, treasure etc then plan your assault. In this the bird does fuck all. Even when you’re supposed to use it to find a target all it does is give you a vague idea of where they are without any confirmation you’ve got the correct dude. 

Without that help each attack just devolves in to a brawl because the second you back stab your first victim you inevitably get spotted by some guy you didn’t know was there and it’s all hands to the axe. 

Holding the R3 button shows all the enemies/treasure in quite a large radius.

I much prefer how the bird is used in this. In Origins and Odyssey I'd usually end up scouting out the whole area with the bird, painstakingly highlighting every enemy and treasure before actually getting around to playing the game. Then I'd usually end up running into the one guard I'd missed. <_<

In this it gives me a quick overview, and further quick checks of my surroundings as I progress. It doesn't break up the flow of the game anywhere near as much.

22 minutes ago, Pug said:

Holding the R3 button shows all the enemies/treasure in quite a large radius.

Yeah but in the previous game the bird would highlight them permanently giving you plenty of time to plan before hand and you’d be aware of where enemies were. Having to keep clicking the stick in is a pain and it’s easy to lose sight of things. 

The bird is pointless in this game. 

Finished this off tonight, 120 hours played (more than that really as I had to reload countless times for broken quests and getting stuck in scenery). Fully completed every area, finished off all of the Order etc. There’s more endings than Lord of the Rings and a heap of bugs and glitches, but I’m willing to forgive as a lot of people have probably worked their asses off during a pandemic to produce this.  

The latest Nvidia drivers released a few days ago have improved this quite a bit of me. The image quality seems better as well as being more consistently smooth.

Possibly have a game breaking bug though. Whenever I try and start Lincolnshire it completes the cut scene but then I'm stuck unable to move away from the table. I've tried watching the cut scene fully and skipping it, and leaving it a while but no go. I also tried progressing smaller quests but that didn't help either. I've started on another region that I'm under levelled for but right now it seems like I'm going to have to skip that entire set of quests.

Yeah not sure if it’s drivers, game patch or some tweaking I did to virtual memory settings in Win 10 but had two long sessions in recent days with no crashes. Really wish they’d fix the controller stutter when you use the mouse (or accidentally move it) and then use the controller again. 

Feel like I’m finally hitting the home stretch on this now, having spent a lot of time in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Hopefully next couple of days to finish it off ready for CP on Thursday 

2 hours ago, pledge said:

The latest Nvidia drivers released a few days ago have improved this quite a bit of me. The image quality seems better as well as being more consistently smooth.

Possibly have a game breaking bug though. Whenever I try and start Lincolnshire it completes the cut scene but then I'm stuck unable to move away from the table. I've tried watching the cut scene fully and skipping it, and leaving it a while but no go. I also tried progressing smaller quests but that didn't help either. I've started on another region that I'm under levelled for but right now it seems like I'm going to have to skip that entire set of quests.

I think you are going to need to level up a bit and do other regions.  I have a similar progress blocking issue (as do lots of others) with the "Sons Of Ragnar" quest line in one of the early areas.  The issue was reported to Ubi very soon after release and it is still not fixed, the last update I saw didn't even have it included in the December patch which is really very disappointing.  This is the first time in ages I've bought an Ubi game at release and I won't be making that mistake again for a very long time!

9 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I think you are going to need to level up a bit and do other regions.  I have a similar progress blocking issue (as do lots of others) with the "Sons Of Ragnar" quest line in one of the early areas.  The issue was reported to Ubi very soon after release and it is still not fixed, the last update I saw didn't even have it included in the December patch which is really very disappointing.  This is the first time in ages I've bought an Ubi game at release and I won't be making that mistake again for a very long time!

I realised the problem is I've already completed Lincolnscire, it just hasn't registered that I have. When it starts it has both the dagger and the chess piece at the same time.

How are you suppose to kill the mercenaries in this?

There are a couple of “the order” roaming about that are half as powerful as me. But when I go into battle with them, they decimate me. They have self heal, are almost impossible to hit, and any damage I inflict - hardly makes a dent in their health meter. 

30 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

There are a couple of “the order” roaming about that are half as powerful as me. But when I go into battle with them, they decimate me. They have self heal, are almost impossible to hit, and any damage I inflict - hardly makes a dent in their health meter. 

What level are you? At first they destroyed me but as I progressed my character they become easier to deal with. 

1 hour ago, sofasurfer said:

What level are you? At first they destroyed me but as I progressed my character they become easier to deal with. 

I’m at 152. And one I dealt with was at about 90. He destroyed me. Fast dodges, series of fast amber attacks followed by a red one. Plus poisonous clouds and self healing. When I did hit him it made little to no impact on his health... Thought I’d walk it....

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Get the perk that lets you throw back spears and bombs. Makes them a piece of piss. As soon as they self heal arrow them to interrupt it. 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I’m at 152. And one I dealt with was at about 90. He destroyed me. Fast dodges, series of fast amber attacks followed by a red one. Plus poisonous clouds and self healing. When I did hit him it made little to no impact on his health... Thought I’d walk it....

You probably need to be more aggressive and make a lot of use of adrenaline.

im usually dying once while I work out their patterns, then killing them.

The other power that's really helpful is the last minute dodge to slow time one (whatever it's called). I took three or four of these guys out over the weekend and that power (you easily get a window to land two powerful hits) made them really easy. I am power level 200 now though, which helps.

And yeah, try and get them near a wall and use the adrenaline attack where you harpoon them and smash them into walls. It's well overpowered - I've pretty much walked every boss fight with that one

Ok this game is taking the piss...

Spoiler

Went to Valhalla. Beat the boss. Did the stupid bit with Layla. Back home to glory.... and STILL the game hasn’t ended. And now I’m about 100 levels underpowered for the final shire. I really hope I don’t have to grind this out for hours

On 07/12/2020 at 21:53, spanx said:

Ok this game is taking the piss...

Reveal hidden contents

Went to Valhalla. Beat the boss. Did the stupid bit with Layla. Back home to glory.... and STILL the game hasn’t ended. And now I’m about 100 levels underpowered for the final shire. I really hope I don’t have to grind this out for hours

After defending the game early on, I've now lost all interest. The same happened with Syndicate, I just tired of it, it was boring. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

After defending the game early on, I've now lost all interest. The same happened with Syndicate, I just tired of it, it was boring. 

Yeah, I finished that final shire and, well, *shrug*.

Done with it now. Onwards to more bug-ridden nonsense with CP77!

Shelving this for a while I think, simply not enjoying it. Spent a whole hour last night clearing out a garrison in Lunden - which would have been huge fun in Odyssey, but with stealth so badly nerfed in this taking down one person just caused everyone to swarm me each time, so once again it all just ended up in a frenzy of button-mashing. It was, frankly, tedious, and I don't feel like I've progressed things at all, my entire evening's gaming time spent fruitlessly chipping away at a game that's so big it might as well be endless. I don't have a problem with big games but the minute-by-minute gameplay in this really isn't doing it for me at all.

Other than having a bit of the awful

Spoiler

Azgard

available to do I am now completely stuck on progressing this until Ubi get their arse in gear and fix the totally broken Sons Of Ragnar quest line in Ledecestrescire.  I don't have any other areas available to Pledge and have killed all the Zealots etc that are doable at my level.  It is at least finally "scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update", only taken them a month to get that far :angry: but no indication of if it will be in the next patch or not.

The state of this game and Ubi's response is really not remotely good enough

And I'm now totally stuck, the one area that I can pledge is bugged and won't progress; the only other quest line that was open, "In Dreams..." is now also stuck and just tells me to drink the potion and then doesn't progress either.  I've already done more than enough side stuff to be bored of that.  Patch for the first bug is apparently in progress with no date and no update on the second one.

Shelving this and think I'm done with AC as a series unless it goes much more back to its "Ezio roots", even then I wont be getting it within 6 months of release!

One thing that really bugs me is fighting 

Spoiler

Fenrir. I'm level 252 and its a real slog taking him out. He's level 400 which is ridiculously high. I've tried numerous times to kill him but just get frustrated to the point I've left the area and will come back later. 

FUCK THIS GAME!

I have just lost about 15 hours of progress - because of a bug on Xbox Series x. Kept playing via quick resume and even though the auto save icon has been showing - it hasn't been saving. Went to do a manual save - whole game locked up and now Im back to where I was five days ago. I was about 3/4 way through the last territory on the map and cannot be arsed to do all that again. Lost all my upgraded gear/loot/abilities and skill points (about 50). 

So pissed off with the game right now - I think Im done. Will just watch the ending on YouTube.