Jump to content

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla


HarryBizzle
 Share

Recommended Posts

The HDR for me just looked dreadful and washed out. And taking a look online in a few places most analysis says it it far worse than SDR. 

 

One post over at resetera suggesting doing this as it makes it a bit better (supposedly changing HDR settings within game fucks everything up) I might give it a try later. 

 

"found a way to further improve the (still disappointing) HDR implementation of AC Valhalla.

Try following these steps:

Disable HDR from Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in SDR, as you can now be able to change the Brightness/Cotrast sliders

Set Brightness to 4, leave Contrast to 5 (default);

Save and Close the game

Enable HDR again on Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in HDR

Set Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits;

Set Exposure to 1.0."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Ry said:

The HDR for me just looked dreadful and washed out. And taking a look online in a few places most analysis says it it far worse than SDR. 

 

One post over at resetera suggesting doing this as it makes it a bit better (supposedly changing HDR settings within game fucks everything up) I might give it a try later. 

 

"found a way to further improve the (still disappointing) HDR implementation of AC Valhalla.

Try following these steps:

Disable HDR from Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in SDR, as you can now be able to change the Brightness/Cotrast sliders

Set Brightness to 4, leave Contrast to 5 (default);

Save and Close the game

Enable HDR again on Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in HDR

Set Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits;

Set Exposure to 1.0."

 

4000 nits!? What the actual fuck. :lol:

 

Are they playing it on a Dolby Cinema projector?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ry said:

The HDR for me just looked dreadful and washed out. And taking a look online in a few places most analysis says it it far worse than SDR. 

 

One post over at resetera suggesting doing this as it makes it a bit better (supposedly changing HDR settings within game fucks everything up) I might give it a try later. 

 

"found a way to further improve the (still disappointing) HDR implementation of AC Valhalla.

Try following these steps:

Disable HDR from Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in SDR, as you can now be able to change the Brightness/Cotrast sliders

Set Brightness to 4, leave Contrast to 5 (default);

Save and Close the game

Enable HDR again on Xbox/Playstation video option;

Launch Valhalla in HDR

Set Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits;

Set Exposure to 1.0."


Those recommendations are absolute bollocks, for a couple of reasons! When you have HDR enabled, the contrast and brightness settings in the game don’t do anything at all and revert to default settings. Anyone who’s switched to SDR, changed some shit around (or come up with the idea of doing that in the first place) and then switched back and managed to convince themselves everything looks better is daft as a brush!

 

Plus, going fully nuclear and setting the luminance to 4000nits and exposure to 1.0?!?!? I just called to say.......don’t forget to wear your sunglasses whilst playing. Lol.

 

Turning those settings up (especially to that degree) is just making the image ridiculously bright and over exposed. Insane contrast, searing brightness and overblown colour look impressive to a lot of people.........but it doesn’t mean the picture is actually any good, as what you gain in insane contrast, searing brightness and overblown colour, you’ll be losing in a lot of detail and a clean, precise image. In short, they’ve clearly either got no idea what they’re doing when setting a TV up........a shit TV........broken eyes........or a combination of all 3! 

 

Make sure you’re playing on Game mode, with any processing on the TV switched off and the contrast on the TV fully up. Once that’s sorted, set up HDR on your console when it’s dark in the room. Store those settings on your TV for HDR gaming. Job done! Money on whoever posted those “recommendations” has never even done that! If you still don’t like the HDR.......then just turn it off and set up your TV accordingly.
 

I’m playing this on PS5 with the HUD completely off and I think it looks absolutely stunning most of the time, especially when controlling the bird and the weather’s just right. The draw distance, the detail, the lighting and all at a rock solid 60fps! Wow! So yeah, the HDR is fine.

 

Have to say.......I was totally wrong about this game. Thought it would be a rushed port and just the same old shite. It’s turned out to be great though and I’m loving it. Best AC since AC2!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell you what, the entire

Spoiler

Asgard

section is fucking crap.

 

Those insane HDR settings are probably from people who calibrated HDR with tone mapping switching on so the TV is forever mapping down instead of clipping where it should.

 

Is anyone else 30 hours into the game and still unable to find any gear better than the free stuff they got from twitch? Grr. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just finished it in one sitting including all 29 of those bauble things and it’s proper “oops this isn’t good enough to be sold as DLC” shite. Really boring interpretation, really boring quests and especially awful bosses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uhh, I’m now stuck in that location with zero icons on the minimap, zero quests to complete and no eye icon to leave. Um?

 

Edit: it’s a game breaking bug since launch but very luckily I had a save to fall back to without losing any progress. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I have to tie a lady up to finish a quest but she’s kneeling on the edge of a cliff so I can’t tie her up without falling off half way through the canned animation. And I can’t move her. Or attack her. Awesome. 
 

Edit: I fast travelled away and ran a kilometre back, she was then in a place where I could tie her up. I put her on the back on my horse and had a conversation with her while her head was underwater. Not the best session today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with @Thor on this one. That section is definitely not crap. In fact I've found it to be one of the highlights so far. A nice short concise story with an interesting area to explore. They'd be better off making more focused content like that instead of the giant bloatfests they're becoming known for.

 

I was actually disappointed to learn that there might be more. They just cannot control themselves can they? Take a neat little side story section within the game and then bloat that out so it's the longer than most other game campaigns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the game is too big for its own good. There's a lot of bloat. It's an odd game. I have very little urge to play, yet when I do, I can't put it down. Like a packet of biscuits that are just "okay", yet once you open the pack you can't help but eat the whole lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, the game is too big for its own good. There's a lot of bloat. It's an odd game. I have very little urge to play, yet when I do, I can't out it down. Like a packet of biscuits that are just "okay", yet once you open the pack you can't help but eat the whole lot.


You’ve hit the nail on the head there. It’s like a packet of rich tea, not that great but somehow they’ve all gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Moz said:


You’ve hit the nail on the head there. It’s like a packet of rich tea, not that great but somehow they’ve all gone. 

I was thinking more along the lines of chocolate digestives. No-one likes Rich tea biscuits. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was thinking more along the lines of chocolate digestives. No-one likes Rich tea biscuits. :lol:


But no-one likes Assassin’s Creed! And yet here we are, 97 games later, still playing them. It’s a mystery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moz said:

Guys I’m 30 hours into the game and getting a bit bored. I’m on chapter 4 and apparently there are 30+ chapters. What the fuck?

It’s a go away, play something else, come back and respec then continue kind of game.

I’ve completed Shropshire, with very limited challenge, and suspect that that might be it till after I’ve played a reasonable amount of cyberpunk.

 

It’s weird: they’d be half the game without the scale, but there would be half the repetitiveness. I can’t think which area of the game I’d want to cut out so far. I haven’t spent that long in any of them. Each has been more or less different in terms of scenery etc. and rarely drawn out that far, but the repetition is starting to take hold.

 

as it always does with an assassins creed game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pacing is absolutely glacial, though, even by the standards of the series. And the fact everything is on the main quest line makes it feel really quite dull. Every time you play, you're just following the storyline to the next plot point, and then the next, and then the next. Without the side quests from Odyssey and Origins, it just feels like you're being led by the nose through someone else's story, and the writing/performances aren't strong enough to make that compelling. Yes, there are side activities, but they're either sub-Monty Python "humorous" bullshit or tedious collectibles.

 

I'm so disappointed in this. I love Assassin's Creed games, I've played and completed every single one of them, but this is rapidly becoming tedious. I'm a few areas in but I've got no idea of what the main storyline even is any more, I'm helping some king take over East Anglia for reasons I've largely forgotten, stealth seems useless so every combat is a mess of running around and button mashing, and the prospect of another dozen or more areas like the ones I've played is become rather off-putting. I keep feeling I'm missing something - I adored Odyssey - but maybe Valhalla is never going to be for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stealth isn’t useless. With the QTE option, it’ll let you one shot two enemies pretty easily. The only times it becomes useless (you can skip most of each castle assault) is when the game forces you into a one on one fight, and at least one of those (east anglia) I managed to skip with a carefully planned assassination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The pacing is absolutely glacial, though, even by the standards of the series. And the fact everything is on the main quest line makes it feel really quite dull. Every time you play, you're just following the storyline to the next plot point, and then the next, and then the next. Without the side quests from Odyssey and Origins, it just feels like you're being led by the nose through someone else's story, and the writing/performances aren't strong enough to make that compelling. Yes, there are side activities, but they're either sub-Monty Python "humorous" bullshit or tedious collectibles.

 

I'm so disappointed in this. I love Assassin's Creed games, I've played and completed every single one of them, but this is rapidly becoming tedious. I'm a few areas in but I've got no idea of what the main storyline even is any more, I'm helping some king take over East Anglia for reasons I've largely forgotten, stealth seems useless so every combat is a mess of running around and button mashing, and the prospect of another dozen or more areas like the ones I've played is become rather off-putting. I keep feeling I'm missing something - I adored Odyssey - but maybe Valhalla is never going to be for me.

I like Odyssey, but I couldn’t disagree with you more.

 

Odyssey’s map of increasingly random and overwhelming, generic side quests was completely off-putting. Having Ubi curate the missions into a main story is much more satisfying to me. And they are varied and really aren’t that badly written. Some of the acting and story telling in Odyssey was terrible (even for am dram actors!).

 

The combat is also so much better and immersive in Valhalla. Odyssey’s system of endlessly slashing at enemy’s (when they should have been cut to ribbons many slashes ago) took me out of the game. Also not having a shield and having to parry every attack was tiring (other opinions are available). 
 

I have loved mostly all of Valhalla so far. It has focussed the story and immeasurably improved the combat and stealth. 
 

it’s an amazing package of gaming systems really. And sure the pacing might be off, but when the rest of it is so damn enjoyable it's hard to dislike it for that. 


* could do without the 

Spoiler

Asgard

...bits though ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over a 100 hours in and i've completed the main story.. i think .  At least all the areas have been pledged  Just the second part of the place that won't be named to do.  i assume more stuff will pop up after i do that since the Cultists still need to be despatched.  i've done a fair amount of the side stuff, but still a good chunk to do

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.