Videoboardgames

I've got a large collection of games, and several sets of friends who don't own (m)any but love to play them.  Despite loads of online implementations of games existing we set ourselves the challenge of combining a video call catch-up on Zoom with a few game sessions.  We've sorted out a nice setup with a camera tripod holding a phone (logged in as "GameCam" looking straight down at the board, with a foldable laptop sitting just behind the board looking at my wife and me, which lets us see our friends while also being able to look down at the board in front of us, and our friends can see us on one feed and the board on another. 

It's turned out pretty well so far!

IMG_20200422_221144.thumb.jpg.fe69ffdc70bfc89bc8a4d5503f3c2a5f.jpg

Codenames works basically flawlessly, particularly with our friends using an app to generate a board colour layout, and keeping each pair of cluers or pair of guessers together at one end of the call.  Without the app you could probably draw a card and copy out the grid with a bit of discretion.

Burgle Bros is also entirely doable, and great fun.  I Whatsapped pics of the character cards and turn order crib sheet over, and since it's co-op and everything else is open it was perfect.  Oh, apart from when we spilt coffee over a good proportion of the layout :( We got out with the loot though! :D 

Other things we're considering:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - very word-based, could work well with most stuff being read out at my end.  Thinking about sending over pics of the newspaper and map so that the far end don't have to spend the entire time listening to us talk.

Pandemic - too soon?  Maybe beating several global diseases would put us in good spirits.  I think this would be very doable, it's only really each player's hand of cards that isn't shared, and you can have those open as a varianty anyway.

Skull - so easy to knock up some cards at the far end (indeed, that's one of the USPs of the game, with bikers only needing a marker pen to create a set from beer mats in a bar); will the intense psychological nature of it work through a screen?

King of Tokyo - nothing secret, relatively simple structure; would admittedly lose the pleasing tactility of those big dice!

What other games do you think would suit this format?  

• Everything physical only at one end of the teleconference (pretty much)
  • Minimal pics of important info, or PDFs of the rules, can be made available to others
  • Not too sprawling a layout, has to fit on one screen and be readable (about 1x2 feet on the table, I'd guess)
  • Entirely shared info, or restricted to minimal notes at the far end

Cartographers might work, I'm sure there are printable sheets available on the website, you could use the solo rules for ambushes.  I have a copy arriving this weekend with the hope of playing it the same way.  In fact, I think someone even compiled a Google Sheet playable version if you are on Board Game Geek.

We played Legacy of Dragonholt which is quite similar in the way it plays to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.  it's essentialy a choose your own adventure style boardgame and one that we played over skype video call.  (Although we did both have a copy of the game).  You create characters and use those characters to go through various chapters of stories with some skill checks, etc. 

Escape The Dark Castle works really well, the only sticking point is the special dice that is used, but you could proxy this some way. 

I don't think the other games we play would fit your requirements, mostly the things we are playing over skype video call - we both have a copy of the game and one person controls the shared decks, but I'll keep having a think as I'm sure there is others!  Journeys in Middle Earth is playing like a dream, we video call, I screen share the app, and we both set up accordingly which opens up playing Descent and Mansions of Madness. :wub:

Is journeys in middle earth any good? My wife has randomly expressed an interest in doing a family board games night so I'm rying to find ones she might enjoy. As a big LOTR fan, and with a lot of the heavy lifting done by the app, it looks like this one might be quite a good introduction into something more complicated.

13 hours ago, frumious said:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - very word-based, could work well with most stuff being read out at my end.  Thinking about sending over pics of the newspaper and map so that the far end don't have to spend the entire time listening to us talk.

The publisher have made some of the materials available for download, to help with remote play. Go here:

https://www.spacecowboys.fr/sherlock-holmes-consultingdetective

Hit 'More' under the edition you have and then scroll down to 'Material for Remote Play'.

There have been a lot of other games and expansions released as Print and Play, which are being collected here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/271049/publisher-covid-19-response-offers-free-stay-home/page/1

The best one for me has been the full game of Corinth. If you've got some spare dice, it's a great game, and really easy to play remotely.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1juhTYboh6Qoh3ENwl07tYrY_lu1gKG5g

Most roll and write games work well remotely - we had a session with some friends at the weekend. They don't have a printer, so I laminated some scoring sheets for various games and posted them to them. :D

Check Boardgamegeek and you'll probably find printable files for scoring sheets.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is journeys in middle earth any good? My wife has randomly expressed an interest in doing a family board games night so I'm rying to find ones she might enjoy. As a big LOTR fan, and with a lot of the heavy lifting done by the app, it looks like this one might be quite a good introduction into something more complicated.

It's very good indeed.  It has its niggles - if you get it I'd recommend starting on the easiest difficulty due to the timer being a bit all over the place with how harsh, or otherwise, it can be.  But it's got a good mix of gameplay types and there's some solid strategy to managing your decks.  I love it despite not especially liking LotR, so you might very well like it even more.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming! :D 

16 hours ago, Rikku said:

Cartographers might work, I'm sure there are printable sheets available on the website, you could use the solo rules for ambushes.  I have a copy arriving this weekend with the hope of playing it the same way.  In fact, I think someone even compiled a Google Sheet playable version if you are on Board Game Geek.

This is a good shout, as luck would have it I was watching Shut Up and Sit Down play it yesterday (on Tabletop Simulator, admittedly), looked pretty good.

9 hours ago, Lochenvar said:

The publisher have made some of the materials available for download, to help with remote play. Go here:

https://www.spacecowboys.fr/sherlock-holmes-consultingdetective

Hit 'More' under the edition you have and then scroll down to 'Material for Remote Play'.

There have been a lot of other games and expansions released as Print and Play, which are being collected here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/271049/publisher-covid-19-response-offers-free-stay-home/page/1

The best one for me has been the full game of Corinth. If you've got some spare dice, it's a great game, and really easy to play remotely.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1juhTYboh6Qoh3ENwl07tYrY_lu1gKG5g

Most roll and write games work well remotely - we had a session with some friends at the weekend. They don't have a printer, so I laminated some scoring sheets for various games and posted them to them. :D

Check Boardgamegeek and you'll probably find printable files for scoring sheets.

These are all great!  The Sherlock Holmes materials will be a life-saver.  Of course you're right about Roland Wrights, I missed off Welcome To... off my list of possibilities, and discovering there's an easily printable scoresheet makes that even more favourable.

7 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Looks like you guys are managing to have fun still! :)

Never heard of King Of Tokyo before this thread i dont think now i want it badly but would need friends to play it as it dont look like its something i can play solo :S

King of Tokyo is fun, but not very deep.  Can be very short too!  Good for filler or warming up, or with youngsters.