Gangs of London (Sky/Now TV)

gospvg

15 hours ago, Delargey said:

This an odd show, it looks fantastic and the action is brutal and wonderfully choreographed but the writing is like a lame ITV show.

I kind of love it for that though? I’ve seen the whole second series through work and can confirm that while the action doesn’t quite match up to the very specific highs of the first series it’s still great and at least spread out across the episodes rather than just in two this year. 

It’s bizarre though and there are moments where the show hints it knows that. It reminds me a bit of the first season of Luther where everyone is so completely serious at all times but it’s all ridiculous and the writing’s a bit scrappy and all of the subtext might as well be written on the walls. 

I think the second series leans into this a little more and as a result is much stronger overall. 

I’m not even done with episode 1 yet and already loving how it’s setting things up, especially with the increased focus on Luan. His hotel room scene was one of the highlights of season 1 and whilst I am certainly no crackpot gangster I can relate a lot to the way he is about his family. 

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I kind of love it for that though? 

Oh yes, I'm totally on board with the janky writing it makes it a really fun watch.

There are some slight moments that really tickle me - the cop killer woman giving her son her purse to hold while she talked to her brother really made me chuckle and I'm not entirely sure why.

Episode 1 done and… well fuck!! If it does have the action more balanced throughout then that sounds like a good thing. The set-up now, with all the key characters motivations established ahead of what looks like it’s going to be an all out war was very nicely handled.

Spoiler

The Investors apparent idea that Luan is going to play nice and stay in line is beyond stupid but makes for the perfect jumping off point on the carnage. The attackers showing up with sledgehammers after they surely took out the guards with guns needs to also be ignored but I’m comfortable doing that multiple times throughout each episode if required, haha.

9 hours ago, Minion said:

This is perfect for hang over watching, it’s like hotline Miami the series. I love Orli Shuka too, if anyone hasn’t seen Hyena go watch it he’s great in it. 

I did some work at the gangs Prem the other night and when they asked him to sum up gangs in three words he said the following;

”Scary… Fearness… Blood.”

Couldn't agree with him more. Luan’s the best thing in the show by far too. 

2 episodes in now and can comfortably say this feels better than season 1. Much more balanced, every scene feels like it carries real significance and I’ve no idea where it’s all going to go with the pieces scattered on the board :) I mean, I know where I want them to go and have my theories but just really enjoying how strong this has returned.

This is absolute hot trash but skips along at such a pace now in season 2 you've barely got time to laugh at the shonky CGI or terrible acting that has gone before because something horrific, awful, or equally low rent has taken it's place.

It's not trying to be a Guy Ritchie homage and is somehow, despite all it's faults, excellent fun to watch.

Just watched episode 6 and oh my!

Spoiler

Was convinced that Sean would go postal and rescue Lale from Asif from the flash forward at the beginning. Thought it strange that he arrived as a white knight to help her get away but when he handed her back I realised that he's always been a psycho that looks out for himself. 

Fantastic episode.

• 2 weeks later...

So, finished season 2. Agree with other posts that the action is a bit more spread out compared to the first season. But, without Gareth Edwards it’s not nearly as well shot. Still enjoyable though, especially the scenes with Luan. At least you can still see what’s going on with the fights even if there is a bit more fast cutting.

Final episode…

Spoiler

The big bad Koba getting killed by a greasy burger from a motorway petrol station made me chuckle.

Sean Vwallice got him in the end.

• 1 month later...

I really LOVED the first season of this and felt the fusing of Asian action and the gangster genre was really fresh. The story also felt grand and layered. The weakest thing about it by far was Joe Cole (Sean Wallace) who felt completely unbelievable in the role he was cast for. But despite that it did a lot of great stuff for a UK TV show.

The second season however is absolute bobbins. It felt like the story was told in the first season and in this one they are flapping around trying to bring back characters to an unbelievable and redundant story - throwing ever increasing sums of money at the screen. All the while completely missing many of the great things about the first season's action - despite an increase in budget.

Gareth Evans you are missed. Shite out of 10.