Charlie Brooker’s Antiviral Wipe

JohnC

The Moments of Wonder bit dragged on too much, but otherwise I thought Cunk was great in this.

My biggest laugh however came from "Mega-womble Boris Johnson, seen here dressed as a lemon" which caught me off-guard. :D

That was brilliant and very cathartic to have recent events looked at in such a way. 

Whilst Cunk has been overplayed recently, calling them “awful” is a bit much. Especially as they’re such a good way of taking pot shots at things like not locking down the same time as other countries.

Not sure it would work as well if it was just one long Brooker rant.

I think part of the joke in this special was that Cunk was describing the government's actions in a way that made her sound more sensible than they do. So that bit used the character in a slightly different way than usually. (The webcam interview was her usual shtick though - I still find her funny, but nowhere near as she was in the very first Moments of Wonder.)

GQ interviewed Charlie Brooker about the special. He says that a new Cunk series had been written but not filmed before the lockdownhttps://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/charlie-brooker-antiviral-wipe

What’s your take on the government’s response so far? 

It’s weird because when we started doing this particular show, I thought the focus is probably going to be more on TV – people watching Tiger King and Quiz and Joe Wicks doing squat thrusts – because the ongoing story is too bleak and unknown. But, actually, that’s completely reversed. Though Boris’ little algebra address on Sunday night actually came a bit too late for us to really do much about it. They’ve had practice in turning what is a complex thing into a very simple message with Brexit – “Take back control” and “Get Brexit done”. And the public has responded very strongly to a very simple message like staying home. I think the problem is as soon as it starts getting more complex than that, they’re really struggling to communicate effectively. I guess let’s wait for the public inquiry. Then we’ll know. 

Talking of Peston, how do you think the media have been? Piers Morgan has emerged as an unlikely left-wing hero in holding the government to account…

Oddly, we haven’t got any Piers Morgan in the show, that’s just occurring to me. Probably because it would have meant I would have to say something nice about him! He’s an odd fish, isn’t he? Because he obviously thrives on antagonising people, and so when he’s antagonising the right people from whatever your viewpoint then he’s a bit of a hero. I suppose in some ways it’s refreshing because he does seem to actually relish being disliked by half the population at any given time. 

Christ, I needed that.

The bit that cracked me up most was the silliest bit of all, with Shitpeas saying: Adolf Hitler, the Nasties and the Luftwaffles.

Just magical stuff throughout. What a fucking national treasure Brooker and his team are.

32 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I think part of the joke in this special was that Cunk was describing the government's actions in a way that made her sound more sensible than they do. So that bit used the character in a slightly different way than usually. (The webcam interview was her usual shtick though - I still find her funny, but nowhere near as she was in the very first Moments of Wonder.)

See, the first bit you described is what Cunk and Shitpeas originally used to be for and it’s still their strongest stuff.

It’s Moments of Wonder that has come along more recently and is the thing that’s been overplayed surely.

47 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

See, the first bit you described is what Cunk and Shitpeas originally used to be for and it’s still their strongest stuff.

It’s Moments of Wonder that has come along more recently and is the thing that’s been overplayed surely.

Yeah, this is my feeling. I smirk a bit during Moment's of Wonder. I laugh out loud at the talking heads.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

The bit that cracked me up most was the silliest bit of all, with Shitpeas saying: Adolf Hitler, the Nasties and the Luftwaffles.

Same here. “The Nasties”, took me quite by surprise. I had a proper, snorty, real laugh at that one. 

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Totally agree. Cunk & Shitpeas' talking head bits were well thought out and not just a stream of random. Moments Of Wonder though, nah.

I thought this was excellent, some proper laughs whilst making a lot of very serious points.

Some of the stuff coming out of people's mouths only a few short months ago sounds horrific now and seeing a condensed summary of it like this really hit home.

17 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Is it just the one episode we’re getting? How much have we missed this :-(

Yes, a one-off. Was originally going to be 30 minutes and then extended to the 45. 

I don’t know but someone posted this btl on the guardian’s review:

Lovely to hear the music from the old black and white Robinson Crusoe production that always seemed to be on TV during the school summer holidays in the 1970s.