IGNORED

Venom: Let there be Carnage

JohnC

It was as good as the first one which was meh. But Venom and Tom Hardy are amusing together.  Oh and was not expecting Reese Shearsmirh to turn up. 

Credits spoiler

Spoiler

So Venom can just skip dimensions when he feels like it? Wtf? 

30 minutes ago, cassidy said:

It was as good as the first one which was meh. But Venom and Tom Hardy are amusing together.  Oh and was not expecting Reese Shearsmirh to turn up. 

Credits spoiler

Hide contents

So Venom can just skip dimensions when he feels like it? Wtf? 

Something, something gubbins multiverse....... probably to do with Doc Strange, since we see in Homecoming the different iterations of villains from past films.

Something something Sony. I’d like to see it, made with better people.

If Tom Hardy can knock these out over a few weeks and forget about them then fair enough, but there was a reference to the improvised lobster gag in this and that felt like the best they could do to tie it together.

With better writing this could be salvaged, but it’s bottom of the barrel on its own.

Saw this last night and damning it be faint praise, it was better than the first one, but only because I found the Eddie/Venom interaction amusing at times.

As a film it is barely there - far too much villian origin/set up for such a short film amongst the Eddie/Venom stuff and then suddenly we are at the third act which isn't very good and then it ends.

Mid Credits is the only thing that really justifies it even existing.

I saw it last night and agree. It's both very different from the first whilst being exactly like it: Hardy steals the show doing the Brock/symbiote double-act, everything else around it is mediocre. 

Well, I say that, but I actually enjoyed some of the fights. Well, some parts of them. Serkis isn't a great director - he's competent - but he definitely understands how to make CGI characters feel weighty and move in interesting ways. 

Loads and loads of problems though. Awful pacing, scenes that end abruptly, too much focus on backstory. Yet somehow Hardy makes it all work once again, especially as (as co-writer) he's willing to embrace the chaos and melodrama so it actually sticks out in a crowded field.

It's also heavily British all the way through, which I've not seen mentioned anywhere! Doesn't feel American at all really, apart from the accents. British cast, writers and director and it totally shows, especially in the willingness to embrace queer themes, and not worry about looking grimy and ugly for a role. Very panto :)

• 4 weeks later...

So I quite liked the first Venom, the second act anyway. This weirdly didn't work for all the reasons I liked the first one but did work for some of the reasons I didn't. I think the humour lacked the surprise it had in the first film and both characters kind of went on the same arc again so that stuff didn't work for me. But I thought the action was actually quite good! I'm very very bored of big CGI super hero fights but these were quite good ones and I thought the third act was pretty fun. I'd completely forgotten most of it the moment I left the cinema but it certainly wasn't as hateful as your DC movies.

It was definitely a lesser movie than the first one for me, probably because I didn't see it after two beers. I'd probably still watch a third though, weirdly. Especially if the after credits sequence is pushing it in the direction I'd hope it is. 

This is pretty pants. Both films are like watching something from the early 2000s. But then again I didn't expect anything less really. Its on par where I thought it'd be. I don't mind Eddie and Venom as a pairing, they're pretty good and it works, it's just everything else around them is so poorly written.

Probably should have just

Spoiler

looked the post credit up and saved me the trouble. However, it made zero sense because the multiverse stuff is going to happen after that news scene.

I imagine we're gonna see Venom post credit in the new Spider-man. I think the way Venom was talking about travelling across universes and his reaction to seeing Peter, might indicate he's come across another Spider-man before and that's why he looks like he does.

I'm more optimistic to see Venom and Eddie in the MCU with Fiege and his teams behind producing/writing cause as I said, I like the double act and it could work well in the MCU.

I don't know how Sony managed to create one of, if not the best Superhero film ever with Spiderverse but everything else they do is or looks mediocre as fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this. Though I had low expectations. It's "fine" with zero plot. But the bants between Eddie and Venom is fun enough.

Anyone saying this is one of the worst films they've ever seen, is 1) Talking absolute bollocks, and 2) Has really not seen many films.

This was complete shite. It’s like one of those low tier superhero movies they pumped out between Batman Forever & the Raimi Spider-Man. 

like Spawn or Phantom or similar shit. 

I don’t understand how they managed to cast Woody Harrelson as a deranged serial killer & made him so dull. In fact everyone in it was pretty bad. 

At least it was short. 

This is not very good. Worse that the first, and I thought that peaked at 'ok' and went to hell at the end. The back and forth between Brock and Venom felt much worse in this and, as a result, I've had enough of that for one lifetime. 

I'm a big fan of the characters, but nothing matters in these films. And nothing's impressive. It just felt both very expensive and very cheap in all the worst ways.

I thought this moved along so quickly, like it just wanted to reach the end and be over, it doesn't really want to let anything breathe. I didn't think the direction was lesser at all than the first, if anything it was more consistent because i think they have a better grasp of what film they want to make, but then that film isn't aiming high at all. It's odd. Hardy said he was disappointed with the first because they cut out all the more eccentric parts with him talking and trying to handle Venom. So presumably he's co written this to put more of that stuff in, but i can't think of anything in this that might have been considered too out there for the first film. The part about being hungry and taking him to the farm to eat hens? It definitely indulges in comedy more and i can't help find it endearing. Sort of like the National Treasure films, none of it is laugh out loud funny, but the quick back and forths are fun, there's a warmth to it.

The first film to everyone was basically; oh this is a bit crap, but i'm enjoying this back and forth with Hardy and Venom. Hardy has never been goofy in a film before i don't think? He seems to pick roles based on what he wants to play than how good the film will be. I hope he's got these films out of his system tbh. It must have been so easy too for Stephen Graham to turn up and do his short tempered thing, probably giving 10% of his effort.

When you think of Venom, or when i do, in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, and you think of what a film of him could be like..like something genuinely menacing and scary perhaps. The action scenes are the worst part of this, they really are the worst action scenes in any superhero film really.

It's not even the worst film i've watched in the last week, so yeah nowhere near the worst ever. It hangs together. It just aims so low.

• 4 months later...