IGNORED

Venom: Let there be Carnage

JohnC

Couldn't look any more like a continuation of the first though it won't have the surprise of Tom Hardy arguing with himself/Venom - those bits still look the most entertaining. I think the rest looks garbage, every action scene still occurs at night, just blurry indistinct dross really. We're a long way from one of the highpoints of comic book action scenes being the ones from Spider-Man 2, the bank robbery, the fight up the building (which is so imaginatively shot and creative as fights go, Sam Raimi must weep at the standards accepted now when he was putting actual thought into his action), the train fight, anything that involves New York because it's the best city for an action film by faaarrrr, and San Francisco with its sparse openess can't come close.

They're not remotely trying.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 00:45, Loik V credern said:

Couldn't look any more like a continuation of the first though it won't have the surprise of Tom Hardy arguing with himself/Venom - those bits still look the most entertaining. I think the rest looks garbage, every action scene still occurs at night, just blurry indistinct dross really. We're a long way from one of the highpoints of comic book action scenes being the ones from Spider-Man 2, the bank robbery, the fight up the building (which is so imaginatively shot and creative as fights go, Sam Raimi must weep at the standards accepted now when he was putting actual thought into his action), the train fight, anything that involves New York because it's the best city for an action film by faaarrrr, and San Francisco with its sparse openess can't come close.

They're not remotely trying.  

I agree with you on Raimi but

Venom was really good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first one was crap in most objective ways, but the film somehow revelled in its rubbishness in a way that made it really enjoyable to watch. I hope the second has that same energy, but I'm worried that 'knowing' what the first one did will lead them to try for the same thing again on purpose, which will probably mean it doesn't work. I doubt it was intentional before, just one of those happy accidents!

On 17/08/2021 at 09:59, probotector said:

People have always shitted on Venom whether it’s comics or films but he’s probably one of the best anti heroes out there.

Venom had something the MCU and many superhero films lack.

Heart and Soul 

I disagree, Venom has always been a massive fan favourite, not sure where you're getting that take he's shitted on. Venom is cool as hell.

We saw it last night and it was both bad and enjoyable in exactly the same way as the first movie was. It’s not interested in establishing its characters or the story, it just abruptly dives in, so it’s quite hard to care about anyone, or the stakes involved, which makes the big set pieces feel inert and uninteresting. 

Woody Harrelson, who I think is great, turns in a really bizarre performance; Naomi Harris and Stephen Graham aren’t given much to do (particularly the former). But Tom Hardy doing a funny voice and arguing with himself is as entertaining - if not more so - than the first time around. They really lean into the idea that Eddie and Venom are caught in an odd couple relationship - can’t live with him, can’t live without him - and this produces lots of funny scenes, particularly the ‘night on the town’ scene. 

What else can I say that’s positive? It’s a lean cut, and doesn’t last too long, so there’s that. I can’t recommend it, but if you do end up seeing it, stay for the post-credits scene. 

Just back from seeing it. Sort of half boring, half great. Obviously Brock/Venom make most of the great bits.

Question for those who know more about comics or whatever

Spoiler

What was Stephen Graham's old blue eyes act at the end? I assume he's now becoming some super-person.

And that credit scene :)

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Just back from seeing it. Sort of half boring, half great. Obviously Brock/Venom make most of the great bits.

Question for those who know more about comics or whatever

Hide contents

What was Stephen Graham's old blue eyes act at the end? I assume he's now becoming some super-person.

And that credit scene :)

Spoiler

His character in the comics is the host of Venom's 'grandson', Toxin. 

Edit - Toxin is the first symbiote who is unquestionably a good guy, which fits a bit weirdly in this universe because Venom here is barely an anti-hero, let alone a villain.