rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Edge #345

It’s been nearly two weeks since I ordered the Alyx issue. No rush as it’s far from essential, but a little surprised it’s taken so long compared to other deliveries.

I read this issue earlier. I like the theme and the game choices but the actual written content was far too light for me to say it was a "good" issue. I understand why it ended up that way though.

Yeah, I enjoyed the format, but I too thought the detail was far too slight in terms of the text.

I would have preferred more text and fewer games I think. Something more akin to a retrospective on a handful of games.

7 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Cheers, just ordered now via the link, it'll be nice to have a physical copy of this.

• Upvote 1

On 21/04/2020 at 18:30, grindmouse said:

It’s been nearly two weeks since I ordered the Alyx issue. No rush as it’s far from essential, but a little surprised it’s taken so long compared to other deliveries.

My copy took 2.5 weeks to arrive. I’ve just ordered a copy of issue 345 and the current Retro Gamer too.

• Upvote 1

Glad there are some copies to buy freely - just ordered one - having something like this to look through with some of my most favourite games in it is a nice thing to have.

And again thanks to @Nate Dogg III for his work on the magazine over the years.

• Upvote 1

Has the digital version mentioned in the recent email to print subscribers been made available yet? I’ve been unable to collect my physical copy from the auld dear’s (along with last month’s :( )

22 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Oh, wait, I still can’t find the digital version. Sorry :facepalm:

PM'd link.

• Upvote 1

On 18/04/2020 at 15:13, Super Stop and Shop said:

I got an email from the Edge team that overseas subscribers will get a digital edition for free. I guess they're having issues mailing worldwide. I can't imagine why. 

Yeah this is all Future mags.

On 18/04/2020 at 19:06, Fletch said:

I think print has plateaued digital hasn't taken over in the way it was predicted but yeah you're right without ads they'd be well and truly buggered. 

Oh now it's plunging still.  Pc Gamer and Official PS4 are both down about 20% year on year.  Official Xbox just closed.  There aren't numbers for Edge or RG in public.

On 19/04/2020 at 13:30, merrychan said:

Yes that's a fair point, still has extra machine specific features :)

So yeah, Retro Gamer approach but not restricted to retro

I think the end game is PC Gamer dies in the next 2 years, PS sometime next gen depending on initial PS4 sales and eventually the last print magazines will be a merged Edge and RG just called "GAMES".

That said, I'm going to do a special on it but there are at least 3 other print games magazines still existing and worth highlighting.

image.png.7394d832a3dd6b46524dd3d9b5b1c8d8.png

Multi Format - "Wireframe" from Raspberry Pi press but covers all games to the extent they're not averse to printing code.  Basically probably the magazine Edge thinks it is. Available in print or Free PDF - https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org/  (Every 2 weeks - £3 in print)

image.thumb.png.6be446e8f189d73763807cd2012bea47.png

Nintendo Switch - "Switch Player", an independent Switch only mag - Every month $4 delivered - https://switchplayer.net/

image.png.5013b6b131e2196d74ff64f8e913a21c.png

Retro - Retro Fusion, I forget Chris' forum name but he's been doing Retro Fusion stuff forever and this is the current incarnation - https://fusionretrobooks.com/collections/fusion-magazine

• Upvote 1

got a physical copy, which then influenced me to track down a copy of Outrun 2 on pc.

Think razzing around lovely locales in an F50 is just what the doctor ordered!

Great issue as a lot of the games featured ive never bothered with.

• Upvote 4

Finally had my copy arrive on Tuesday and I got to read it last night.

it is light in copy, I’m don’t think there is a screenshot in there but the concept is wonderful and I like the execution.

for a magazine that has been part of my life since issue 1 (which I still have) and which I’ve subbed to since around issue 180 (I used to like actually buying magazines in an actual shop!), for this stalwart to pivot into this for this extraordinary time was actually quite heart warming.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

got a physical copy, which then influenced me to track down a copy of Outrun 2 on pc.

THANK YOU. Id completely forgotten that the 'archived' PC version was an option. Works beautifully well with an XB1 controller too, even though it doesn't show the correct icons. What a game :wub:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

This made me look into what state of Outrun 2 is on PC, turns out there's this Outrun 2 FXT mod which fixes loads of stuff and has the option for an Arcade front-end!

Without wishing to derail the thread, has anyone tried this? I'll be looking into it presently. 

• Upvote 1

I've not had an urge to buy a magazine since issue one back in 93.

Back in the day, Edge was pioneering. No cover mounts, no tips or cheats; sealed bags - it was a very mature magazine.

Growing up, we never had the disposable income to buy many games, so being able to pick up a physical magazine was my take home on the industry. I'd look at the pictures and pretended I was playing all those lovely games. I loved the tangibility of taking home something physical; and I valued the opinions of everyone that wrote for it.

Issue one proudly proclaimed the changing face of videogames. And 30 years later, it's not just videogames that have changed, but demand for convenience has forced its casualties.

Take me back me to a creative rich time, when everything was still innocent and "feel good". Every now and then, I'd go through my old stash of mags and pretend I was already there.

• Upvote 4

No sign of my copy yet, any other subscribers still waiting for theirs? I got the latest Retro Gamer through the post is a timely manner.

16 hours ago, Dave White said:

Check out Mr moneybags here!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dave White said:

I've got physical Outrun 2006 on Xbox and PS2 and a steam copy.

I regret none of these 3 purchases, I've played it on all 3 in the last week and it's still excellent.

• Upvote 1

Where can you Pick up this latest issue physically? I’m guessing super markets at best?

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Where can you Pick up this latest issue physically? I’m guessing super markets at best?

Not available in shops, only from here: Edge

• Upvote 2

Yeah, no Future mag is printing paper copies for anyone except subs and a small number for single issue UK orders.

Even overseas subs aren't getting those copies yet.

On 23/04/2020 at 15:22, Dudley said:

I think the end game is PC Gamer dies in the next 2 years, PS sometime next gen depending on initial PS4 sales and eventually the last print magazines will be a merged Edge and RG just called "GAMES".

REDGE, surely?

I wonder how Practical Caravan is doing? I read a copy once, but found the writing to be all over the place*.

*I only posted to make that pun. Sorry!

• Upvote 4

I mean we all know the king of magazine naming will always be fishing magazine TOTAL CARP.

• Upvote 1