IGNORED

Time Team - groundbreaking television

BlackHoodedCrow

My wife is Norwegian and I made a reference to the television show Time Team the other week. She had no idea what it was.

Since she's a historian and was very impressed when my uncle (an archaeologist) showed us historical sites around Manchester city centre, I figured she might find it interesting. I took the time to dig up a torrent which had pretty much every episode in the show's 20 year history and downloaded the first few seasons.

She just laughed at the show and found it boring.

To be fair, it was the 90s and looking back on the way this is produced versus historical shows of today - there is quite a difference. In the first episode, one of the cast is walking along explaining the layout of the site and trips and falls down a rabbit hole. AND THEY KEEP IT IN THE SHOW. She just has to get up and carry on talking. Later, in the pub, the Time Team sit around talking over the top of each other whilst the camera focuses on one conversation of many noisy debates, whilst in the back, Baldrick steals some food from someone else's plate.

To be honest, I loved it. I made my wife watch 3 episodes and then conceded to her opinion that it's a load of shit whilst secretly wanting to watch one more.

Just wondering; do you have any fond memories or highlights on the show I should be cutting to? 20 years of television is a lot to watch and I could do with jumping to the best bits.

A photo of the Time Team stood mid-dig looking at the camera.

I loved Time Team.

The Birmingham episode where they are looking for Matthew Boulton's old factory so spend the weekend basically destroying numerous people's back gardens always stuck in my mind. Mostly because I'm a Brummie.

And the late episode where they tried to do an underwater investigation of an ancient ship that was the nightmare everyone expected ultimately.

Was it Mick who hated Roman stuff? And then ended up spending every other week looking at the remains of a Roman villa, clearly unimpressed. And the artist, whose reconstruction of 'scenes of daily life' at whatever ruin they were digging up always ended up looking exactly the same?

Edit - also gave us Dr Alice Roberts :wub:

I love how most of these are on Youtube. watched most of them back to back while working this winter.

also... there was Dr Alice Roberts... however i had a major thing for Prof. Suzannah Lipscomb the Royal Historian towards the end of the series.

2-1348648046_Suzannah-Lipscomb-86-copy.j

28 minutes ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

Almost a week passes and nobody responds... I'd say YES. You were alone. But I'm happy for you both.

As a youngster who attracted little to no interest from the opposite sex, I think I did develop a habit of tuning my crushes towards more realistic targets. Of course Alice Roberts and Suzanna Lipscombe are unquestionably attractive, but I didn't see myself with anyone nearly so pretty when I grew up. If you're reading this Carenza, please don't take it personally. I just thought we were in the same league.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

Time Team is back! I’ve not watched it yet, but new episodes sprung up on Channel 4 and YouTube in the past few days. 

Has anyone seen it yet?? 

That's not Time Team! Where's Baldrick?! Where's the mad one out of The Wurzuls?! Where's the baldy one with the jumpers?! PISH!!!

23 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That's not Time Team! Where's Baldrick?! Where's the mad one out of The Wurzuls?! Where's the baldy one with the jumpers?! PISH!!!

I wonder if Baldrick was asked to present the new version. If not, I imagine he’s quite pissed off... or maybe he’s too busy travelling around the world by train.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Mad jumper man is dead unfortunately.

Still amuses me that he found Roman stuff incredibly boring, and then every episode is him looking at bits of Roman pottery or coins and feigning interest.