Never played the original. My PC was never strong enough run other than some gentle Excel forumlas back in those days, but I really enjoyed the console sequels A LOT.

Is this worth picking up on the Switch or am I going to play it and be reminded how old the game actually is? 

If you enjoyed the sequels, you'll enjoy this. Possible even more.

This version is based on a port that came out after Crysis 2, so the control setup is borrowed from that - you should find it very familiar.

On 30/07/2020 at 17:29, Fry Crayola said:

If you enjoyed the sequels, you'll enjoy this. Possible even more.

This version is based on a port that came out after Crysis 2, so the control setup is borrowed from that - you should find it very familiar.

I got it :)

It took a while to re-set my 'approach' to the game as I had forgotten how tactical you really have to be with the power consumption, stealth, etc. whereas most FPS just have you running and gunning like a madman. Even with all the incredible powers and weapons you can die very quickly due to the very clever AI. Its looks delightful on the Switch and playing mostly handheld the sticks do take a lot of getting used to with the aim-assist being very light but its paying off now a few hours in.

I will never tire of hearing "MAXIMUM ARMOUR" and "CLOAK ENGAGED" as I move about the jungle picking off confused and terrified soldiers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 22:53, layten said:

"Can it Run Crysis?" Graphic mode. :lol:

Look at that draw distance and level of detail! If they placed a character on top of that mountain in the distance, you would be able to see him/her. 

I was thinking about this earlier, and I think that Crysis might well be the best “big” game that a lot of people haven’t played, apart from where there are mitigating factors (such as rarity, price, etc.). I think it quickly got a reputation as “just graphics” which meant even people who have booted it up haven’t gone far in it, and obviously most people haven’t got that far. 

It really was an utterly, utterly magnificent game at the time. I’m not sure it’s quite better than Halo, and probably Goldeneye, but it’s very very near my list of top FPS games. Assuming this version is good and that it’s aged well, I hope a lot more people will get to play it.

Just now, Rev said:

I was thinking about this earlier, and I think that Crysis might well be the best “big” game that a lot of people haven’t played, apart from where there are mitigating factors (such as rarity, price, etc.). I think it quickly got a reputation as “just graphics” which meant even people who have booted it up haven’t gone far in it, and obviously most people haven’t got that far. 

It really was an utterly, utterly magnificent game at the time. I’m not sure it’s quite better than Halo, and probably Goldeneye, but it’s very very near my list of top FPS games. Assuming this version is good and that it’s aged well, I hope a lot more people will get to play it.

Yep. Second behind the original Halo for me. It’s excellent.

Deus Ex and Dishonored are probably above it, but you could probably shuffle those into a different sub-genre that involves puzzles. But even just being in the same conversation as them is enough to show how good it was as a game. 

Titanfall 2 says hello.

I picked this up on the Switch having never played the original on the PC but really enjoyed the sequels on the consoles. Even after all these years the gameplay is fantastic so I would expect this to be a real treat for anyone that picks it up. My only complaint with the Switch version is the Joycon set-up is fucking dreadful for FPS and so really detracts from what should be a fluid, empowering experience. On the PS4 and Xbox though I imagine this will be lovely in all areas.