rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Crysis Remastered

Wow, it really is far cry with aliens and a cold-snap...

I had no idea. I came in at crysis2, on 360. I don’t think I ever had a pc beefy enough for the original, my last build was an AMD X2 3800 with an E-VGA 7950GTO.

Which I got shot of in 2011.

34 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I had no idea. I came in at crysis2, on 360. I don’t think I ever had a pc beefy enough for the original, my last build was an AMD X2 3800 with an E-VGA 7950GTO.

It’s better than any Far Cry game though, just because of the amazing tactics the nanosuit allows. If you haven’t played it, I really recommend it.

24 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s better than any Far Cry game though, just because of the amazing tactics the nanosuit allows. If you haven’t played it, I really recommend it.

Yes, quite. I just mean the tropical island setting. Make a nice change from New York, and... New York.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Crysis came out on 360 in between 2 and 3, so you always had that as an option.

It's a superb game.

It's a superb two thirds of a game.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Why release it for PC when we can just get the original game, add a few mods and it'll look just the same, seems like a cash grab to me.

I think the developers at the time tried to anticipate future cpu and/or gpu iterations but that didn't quite work out so Crysis doesn't run quite so well on modern PC's.  I guess this remaster is a way to optimise it for today's hardware.  I probably explained this completely wrong so here's the experts:

Aren't there a bunchy of mods out there though that fix this kinda stuff? I could be pissing into the wind here, haven't played it in maybe 8 years.

I've always had the impression that Crysis never really worked; at launch it was made to run best for hypothetical PCs that didn't quite exist yet, skip forward to years later and I couldn't even fullscreen the thing effectively on tech way beyond what it was intended for. I'm glad more PC games don't try and futureproof themselves, it's as futile as futureproofing the hardware they run on. 

Yep, what @Rob Rule said. They've got the rights back from EA to their franchise. EA seem to have done what they always do: shutter a franchise if they can't be arsed.

Now Crytek finally own their own game, they're fixing the base problem that the original's a Ferrari with a Mini Metro engine. The new engine will run the thing with far less overhead and strain. The game has really never sold as widely as it deserved because of the original game engine's major flaws.

Also, presumably, it's a testbed for the next Crysis game now they a) have their rights back and b) a suitable engine for producing it on :)

In very faint praise, EA do seem to finally let go of franchises that they're done with, like Strangers Wrath. Plenty of companies refuse to give up anything and EA need the money the least. 

Square Enix were good with Hitman, too. 

I’d love them to do a new Crysis in the vein of the original. I never played the sequels, but they weren’t supposed to be very good, were they?

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Aren't there a bunchy of mods out there though that fix this kinda stuff? I could be pissing into the wind here, haven't played it in maybe 8 years.

Nah, you can't really mod a fundamental engine design without basically doing a full source port.