rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
matt0

Digital Art Tech Talk

Incoming rant.

Just updated Photoshop and of course spent most of the morning trying to fix everything it broke with my Wacom tablet. Next week it will be a Windows update that mysteriously turns on or off all the arcane Windows Ink and Pen and Touch settings that you have to tweak to get everything to work properly. Or the Wacom driver will mysteriously act up without any updates or changes. It's driving me insane. Normally I'd just ignore the Photoshop update but the last one broke the keyboard short cut for Copy Merged (but only on one of my computers...) and I was gambling that this would fix it...  but of course it fucking hasn't!

One of the reasons I've stuck with Photoshop is it's easy to quickly configure and re-configure it for painting, sketching and pixel art and I don't know how other paint programs handle clean single pixel editing for pixel art and I also have a good work flow figured out with it. But if my work flow is constantly disrupted that last point doesn't count for anything.

It's also impossible to google for specific problems. Like my problem with the copy merged shortcut, you either get a generic suggestion to reset your preferences (more time wasted restoring everything and usually doesn't help) or a discussion about someone else's hyper specific but slightly different problem with the same tool. Or support forum threads about the same problem that stretch off back in time over 10 years which all have an Adobe Tech Support worker post the same generic "We'll look in to it message, have you tried reinstalling your drivers?" message.

Photoshop in 2020 is a mess. Wacom's drivers are a mess. Windows 10 tablet support is a mess. I doubt I'll ever ditch Windows but I'm going to start actively looking for alternatives for the first two.

I've downloaded a trial of ClipStudio Paint and something called Pyxel Edit to start off with. Pyxel Edit has all sorts of fancy tile editing tools which might come in handy in the long run...

Anyone else had similar problems and looking for a change or already made the leap?

Funnily enough picked up Photoshop for the first time in ages. Oh my blimey what a bloated laggy mess. Great in places but a whale, struggling to walk imo. Not that it was even on an old machine per se. Was running it on an Alienware i7 although one with a mechanical hdd which they assure me is the reason why Win 10 runs so slow. Its such a wretched beast at times I often choose a Surface Go for work. Definitely tarnished the AW brand for me. 

A number of years ago I gave up on computers, swapping to phones and tablets and loved it. Brought back to pc to use Paint 3d and ArtRage almost exclusively but yes, there are sometimes when Photoshop is the most neccessary evil. Not that I'd pay the sub that said. Only picked it up as work pays for an at home sub for me.

Anyhow personally if I could go all phone and tablet I'd not be at all upset. 

There's a lot of settings tweaking you can do to get Photoshop running smoother and reduce lag depending on your set up and what you're using it for. My desktop was a 10 year old i7 860 with 8gb RAM until a couple of months ago (although with an SSD for the system drive) and performance was okay, the above issues not withstanding.

A lot of the input lag comes from Windows 10's pen and tablet settings acting as a middle man and a layer of abstraction between the tablet and the Photoshop. 

I tried ClipStudio the morning of my rant and it was comfortably lag free but with the default settings had all sorts of weird quirks like causing streaks at the end of brush strokes when you lift the pen off the tablet. It does give you pages and pages of fine tuning settings though so I'm going to have a play around with it.

I struggle to get much done outside of being sat at a desk with a traditional desktop set up unfortunately. I need all my keyboard shortcuts.

• Upvote 1

Clip Studio, by and large, is a massively superior alternative to photoshop. The thing that pisses me off the most about it is they haven't put any kind of alignment function in, despite people crying out for it for, literally, years.