cheap but good enough CRTs ?

Just checked on eBay and Sony trinitons are 100 quid plus.

Last Sony portable I got didn't support NTSC.

Anyone got any recommendations for something cheap? I used to have a Sanyo and that seemed fine.

Thanks!

Whereabouts are you based? Local pick up usually leads to bargains but at the moment that’s not a good option obviously with social distancing.

I picked up a 14” Sony Trinitron for free via Facebook Market Place a couple of months ago. I’d say be patient and you will find something decent.

26 minutes ago, Swainy said:

Whereabouts are you based? Local pick up usually leads to bargains but at the moment that’s not a good option obviously with social distancing.

I picked up a 14” Sony Trinitron for free via Facebook Market Place a couple of months ago. I’d say be patient and you will find something decent.

Good info. Id also considered visiting local dump, I recall their electricals container bit had a few CRTs lying there.

Suppose Freecycle might be a good option.

Did you 14 in triniton support NTSC? I'm fine with everything over RGB, except that pretty much impossible with nes.

I doubt you'll find many (maybe any?) consumer unit in the UK that'll support NTSC. 

Forcing RGB out of your console is the best option, with only a handful of outliers not managing some form of it. Did we have this chat in another thread?

You did get quite a few NTSC-compatible UK CRTs in the 2000s, but I agree that if you're going to want to run whatever-it-is in to the TV in RGB anyway, it's not necessarily something you need to worry about. 60Hz compatibility is a must though.

46 minutes ago, bplus said:

Good info. Id also considered visiting local dump, I recall their electricals container bit had a few CRTs lying there.

Suppose Freecycle might be a good option.

Did you 14 in triniton support NTSC? I'm fine with everything over RGB, except that pretty much impossible with nes.

Yes it can display an NTSC 60hz signal, a lot of PAL TV’s with Scart inputs support NTSC despite what a lot of people think.

• Upvote 1

I've got two Trinitrons and both handle my various UK/JP/50/60hz consoles just fine. There's a possibility they'd baulk at doing something exotic like RF NTSC but I think generally they're a safe bet.

• Upvote 1

Are you both talking about composite? Perhaps the later CRTs managed 60hz via composite more often, then. If so, that's cool :)

Otherwise, probably worth restating for those who aren't sure, that RGB via SCART is not impacted by encoding. So if your TV is bright and breezy dealing with PAL and NTSC via SCART, you'll need to test with RF or composite only to ascertain whether it can decode NTSC using those methods.

It's just worth mentioning that, in case some people have seen their TVs cope with Jpn/US games via SCART and just assumed they'd be cool with a non-RGB console :)

Pretty sure my TV accepts a non-RGB signal from my SFC. This is via SCART though through a SCART switch box with an RGB on/off switch. I think SCART without RGB is composite?

5 hours ago, Treble said:

I doubt you'll find many (maybe any?) consumer unit in the UK that'll support NTSC. 

Forcing RGB out of your console is the best option, with only a handful of outliers not managing some form of it. Did we have this chat in another thread?

Loads of decent CRT TVs supported NTSC. I remember having a Panasonic and two Sony CRTs that all supported NTSC and 60Hz. (the Panasonic even supported Progressive scan 60Hz, which made it great for my US Gamecube). 

All of them ended up being given away....

6 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Loads of decent CRT TVs supported NTSC. I remember having a Panasonic and two Sony CRTs that all supported NTSC and 60Hz. (the Panasonic even supported Progressive scan 60Hz, which made it great for my US Gamecube). 

All of them ended up being given away....

Despite the OP, think this is specifically about non-RGB signals. Don't know if many do that for NTSC.

All these years later and composite dot crawl still gives me the boke a little.

Edit - Like, I know this isn't even animated but you tell me you don't see these red pixels creeping along:

image.png.cc72124e20ee6da22f747104a7cd4680.png

My early 2000's Sony KV29LS30 wont  play in colour via rf when i bought my pc-engine (it was eventually rgb modded), iirc it would do colour via s-video on my gamecube bitd

On 09/04/2020 at 10:44, Treble said:

Possibly, my memory is hazy now! Scary googling for something retro related and finding a post you made yourself in 2003! (This happened when I was looking for virtua fighter 3 help!)

• 3 weeks later...

I’m thinking of getting rid of my Thompson 32inch wide screen crt. I could use the space and I haven’t turned it on in years. Once social distancing is reduced what’s the best way to pass it on?

4 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I’m thinking of getting rid of my Thompson 32inch wide screen crt. I could use the space and I haven’t turned it on in years. Once social distancing is reduced what’s the best way to pass it on?

eBay is probably the easiest way to sell.