Automobilista 2

SharkyOB

Haha I know, and I'd rather buy it too believe you me. If it was a bit cheaper it would be a no-brainer, but alas, the mrs is frantically looking for new furniture and I don't fancy being slapped with a wet kipper. 😅

Did the timetrial session as suggested.  Usefully it starts you before the start finish on a flying run rather than from the pits, so you have a chance (a chance!) to get a time right from the get go, rather than the first out lap not being  counted. 

After about 6 aborted attempts, due to going wide and invalidating the lap, I eventually got a better valid lap.  9.03.760:

1291951715_Automobilista2Screenshot2022_10.27-11_05_17_34.thumb.jpg.641372ad2eb9428b034331ac295bd8db.jpg   

Still massive chunks to come off that if I could learn the corners and actually attack the track.  88 corners in a lap!  The world record was listed at 7mins something!!

Some sections I'm really hesitant to go full throttle as my mind is going "is this the bit where there is suddenly a 2 gear left and a tyre wall to hit?" and then it turns out it was flat in 6th all along!

image.png.8b87545fa92a92fad89c2251e6a7556d.png

Loving it!

Another Dev update talking about some of the new content planned:

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-2-october-2022-development-update.27369/

Highlights:

2 new tracks and a teaser:

Spa-Francorchamps 1970 - a 14km recreation of the historic layout

Nürburgring 1971 layout

another track they are looking to add to the game in 2023 (rumoured to be LeMans)

A new car:

Corvette C4 GTP

image.thumb.png.d8c859258b24ad7e40771181a57aa3b9.png

Low downforce and oval variants for some existing racecars

Helmet Livery Customization

Radar HUD integration

further developments to the Advanced Mechanical Damage Model (e.g. engine failure)

The future is looking great for AMS2 IMHO.

On 27/10/2022 at 09:35, SneakyNinja said:

I always start a lap thinking I know it, then at some point I inevitably get mixed up and end up in the barrier.

Only VR seems to capture just how bloody steep some bits of it are too.

There's one corner (Bergwerk) that invariably makes my stomach lurch in VR. I don't ever get motion sickness, either in VR or in real life, but that corner is as close as it gets. 

23 minutes ago, davadvice1 said:

I finally got this, where is my ABS. 

I've spent ages to look for the option to map TCS and ABS on my wheel rim's rotary dials. It just isn't there. So I'm using the vertical rockers instead. I think it's a massive omission to not have them mapable on rotaries.

1 hour ago, jonathanhoey said:

There's one corner (Bergwerk) that invariably makes my stomach lurch in VR. I don't ever get motion sickness, either in VR or in real life, but that corner is as close as it gets. 

Just play Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR for a bit, once you've rolled your car multiple times you'll be completely immune to Bergwerk!!

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Just play Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR for a bit, once you've rolled your car multiple times you'll be completely immune to Bergwerk!!

I rolled a Mini in VR in GT Sport many times. If you overtune it and put sticky tyres on, it's really prone to snap rollovers. 

It's an... interesting experience but oddly I never felt sick from it.

That car is a bit lively. Had a quick go on my lunch break but couldn't really drive it with a pad. Wheelspin when I gave it gas, lockups when I braked (yes I had TC and ABS on!)

Limped home in 09:45 or something with the steering pulling to the right after clattering a barrier near the first carousel. Obviously that was invalid so it doesn't show on the times. 

I would expect to be faster and cleaner with the wheel, although I don't get much wheel time these days. 

I haven't tried it yet, but one of the reasons I bought AMS2 was that it was said to run much better in VR than ACC does. 

Truthfully I don't play much in VR at the best of times, generally because if my partner is home she expects me (not unreasonably) to spend time with her rather than up in the loft, whereas if she's out then I'll tend to hang out downstairs with the dog and cat rather than going up in the loft. 

14 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

How’s VR performance? Less demanding than ACC? I think that I have the game in my library but I’ve never installed it. 

Less demanding, but despite what people say I think it looks worse regardless of how you have it set up.  It's sharper and has a much cleaner image, but the texture shimmering and aliasing are doing my head in :(  But then again, I'm really sensitive to those things especially the shimmering.  ACC looks fuzzy in comparison (especially when looking down the circuit) but I'd take that over the shimmering.  But I think it's just me, as general consensus is that this looks just as nice as ACC.

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Less demanding, but despite what people say I think it looks worse regardless of how you have it set up.  It's sharper and has a much cleaner image, but the texture shimmering and aliasing are doing my head in :(  But then again, I'm really sensitive to those things especially the shimmering.  ACC looks fuzzy in comparison (especially when looking down the circuit) but I'd take that over the shimmering.  But I think it's just me, as general consensus is that this looks just as nice as ACC.

Weird how people see things differently. I think this looks way better than ACC in VR, but that's probably down to the compromises I have to make in order to get ACC running smoothly on my PC.  Can't say I've noticed any AA issues or shimmering at all. Probably my old man eyes :) 

33 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Truthfully I don't play much in VR at the best of times, generally because if my partner is home she expects me (not unreasonably) to spend time with her rather than up in the loft, whereas if she's out then I'll tend to hang out downstairs with the dog and cat rather than going up in the loft. 

Same here. It feels wrong spending a whole night upstairs when mrs Meers is in.

But she knows I need my sim racing fix so I'm lucky to get some loft time when she goes to her sister's in the evening or when she's going to bed early.  

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Getting there. Still not 100% confident in my track knowledge, but the car feels lovely to drive.

20221031133554_1.thumb.jpg.b1677a9b8566127a547406ecabe36db4.jpg

Is that car DLC as well? Might download the track on its own for now.

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

Is that car DLC as well? Might download the track on its own for now.

The car is in the USA 1 pack and the course is in its own separate pack. They're both on 50% sale but only for a few more hours. 

Don't know what the EU prices are but I paid GBP 5.49 for USA 1 and GBP 3.99 for the Nürburgring (including GP, Nordschleife and 24h layouts). 

1 hour ago, Valver said:

On my Quest 2 I also think it looks way better.  Its both a sharper image and better performance

I wish I wasn't so sensitive to the aliasing and shimmering :(  I remember being excited when I first got VR, cause Elite Dangerous was something I really wanted to play in the headset; but it's absolutely horrendous in that game.  In VR and pancake.

It's something that's bothered me in gaming for years, but modern TAA techniques have come to the rescue in recent times.  So when games only have MSAA or SMAA it looks horrendous.  I've been playing a bit of American Truck simulator the last few days (yes, trucks! :D ) and it just looks so bad with TAA :(