Automobilista 2

SharkyOB

I've been racing a bit against the AI in single player sessions and they're pretty decent to race against.

I just tried out the Chevrolet Opala '79 series.  Those cars are good fun- would recommend them.  Just enough power to get the back out, but not trying to kill you at every turn.

I'll go give the GT3 cars a spin now - see how they compare to ACC's versions

• 2 weeks later...

There's a sale on this until October 31st, including DLC. Anybody taken the plunge on some of that? Feels like I barely have time to scratch the surface already when we do our occasional multiplayer nights but still, tempted. 

I am very tempted to just push the button on the season pass and get everything!  I think its a great sim and Id like to spend more time in it.   

edit: 

Also, its another few quid cheaper to buy the base game and Season Pass Bundle than the Season Pass by itself...  (even if you already own the base game, it just adds another 10% discount and then takes off the base game's price)

And done!   Right, to the Nordschleife!

432629040_Automobilista2Screenshot2022_10.25-08_29_42_20.thumb.jpg.7ebbf88973144323b7fdf0bd121d32a9.jpg

5 hours ago, Valver said:

edit: 

Also, its another few quid cheaper to buy the base game and Season Pass Bundle than the Season Pass by itself...  (even if you already own the base game, it just adds another 10% discount and then takes off the base game's price)

That's an excellent tip mate, just picked up the season pass with the additional 10% off.  Made me feel a little better about already having the Nurburgring DLC (for Nords, obvs), which I've now effectively bought twice.

@SharkyOB didn't you get some extra money off for that? I thought Steam usually pro-ratas the price on these bundles automatically.

Automobilista 2 + 2020-2022 Season Pass BUNDLE (£35.99 to me), it is weird that just the season pass bundle alone is £39.99. How much did it want from you, a Nordz owner?

2 minutes ago, milko said:

@SharkyOB didn't you get some extra money off for that? I thought Steam usually pro-ratas the price on these bundles automatically.

Automobilista 2 + 2020-2022 Season Pass BUNDLE (£35.99 to me), it is weird that just the season pass bundle alone is £39.99. How much did it want from you, a Nordz owner?

Exactly the same amount.  It does pro-rata when you buy a pack that's made up of separate elements and you have one or more of those elements, which is exactly what happened when we both bought the game/season pass and ended up getting the season pass only, with the extra money off.  The problem here is that the season pass isn't made up of elements as such, it's just the season pass.

Ah I see. Pity, I've seen some of these season passes where it does somehow seem to roll up the DLC rather than being a separate item. Or I'm making up the memory, quite probably. Anyway, tracks and cars!

Do we need to start tagging @SneakyNinja@davejm@Meers@davadvice1@EuroVapeSim2 for future AMS2 meetings? It is probably gonna be quite confusing working out what's DLC and what everybody's got with the core game. I doubt everyone wants to fork out even at the discount, but just in case you'd miss out, fellas, look up a few posts!

Thanks for the heads up @milko, - full bananas season pass bought! Just had a quick go in the F-USA (gen1) Lola around Road America. Lovely feel to the car. Faster than the Uno ;) but not as mental as the 'F1' cars. It's getting a bit like Netflix now with so much content it's hard to just pick something and go.

3 hours ago, milko said:

Ah I see. Pity, I've seen some of these season passes where it does somehow seem to roll up the DLC rather than being a separate item. Or I'm making up the memory, quite probably. Anyway, tracks and cars!

Do we need to start tagging @SneakyNinja@davejm@Meers@davadvice1@EuroVapeSim2 for future AMS2 meetings? It is probably gonna be quite confusing working out what's DLC and what everybody's got with the core game. I doubt everyone wants to fork out even at the discount, but just in case you'd miss out, fellas, look up a few posts!

So I read, but haven't tested to confirm, that if someone with the DLC hosts a game, anyone who joins can then play that DLC - yes, even if they dont own it!

that's amazing if true. Bah, I could've not bothered spending £35! haha. Although being able to get at least a tiny bit of practice will be useful.

I've never done the full Nordschliefe before but since everyone goes on about it quite a lot I'm looking forward to the attempt. But I'll always be rooting for racing Unos around tiny tracks!

Sorry, spamming now. Has anybody managed to set this up to look sensible in VR? I've always just jumped in and cracked on, and graphically it's pretty great (since everything is on max detail etc with great frame rate) but what I mean is I've got a virtual mirror I don't need because the real one is right there, and all the HUD stuff is a bit random. When I try to tweak it inside the VR hat it doesn't seem like it'll let me change much of this. Stuff like that.

2 hours ago, milko said:

Sorry, spamming now. Has anybody managed to set this up to look sensible in VR? I've always just jumped in and cracked on, and graphically it's pretty great (since everything is on max detail etc with great frame rate) but what I mean is I've got a virtual mirror I don't need because the real one is right there, and all the HUD stuff is a bit random. When I try to tweak it inside the VR hat it doesn't seem like it'll let me change much of this. Stuff like that.

Not really. You can tinker with the HUD layout but it's not very good. I did that outside of VR, if that makes a difference. Now I just map a button on the wheel to the 'cycle hud' option (or whatever it's called) and loop through the screens until I see what I need but I err on the side of not bothering. So I'm not always 100% sure who's in front or behind me.

I should probably look into that again.

I had a look at Nords. Yikes, that would take some practice to learn well. Awesome track though, I can see why people make a fuss about it.

I also tried some GT3 cars on familiar tracks to compare with ACC. It's... different. Sometimes feels good but they seem to snap out of control without warning quite easily. Hard to say, I think I'm too used to ACC's way to get used to these. I'm much happier messing with the cars that aren't in that game.

Warning - obligatory "I've been there" post.

Pix (because it did happen)

Spoiler

DSCF3370.JPG.4821b3bfd9c9c0f3a825231041b7700c.JPGDSCF3374.JPG.44be418b012245b80d08636f986cb8fb.JPGIMG_0277.JPG.a617a061072880136acd1f6835b9c1e6.JPGIMG_0282.JPG.037396102baa914cd991f7b35bc1c2d9.JPGIMG_0286.JPG.7ebcdfce9fb6890c8fb3d282fb845789.JPGIMG_0296.JPG.11858ae14d01d2a964bed74e45e6e381.JPG

The last pic shows all did not go according to plan for one of us. Fun fact, they charge you for barrier repairs... x3 as there are three armco barriers.

Funner fact, we spoke to a guy whose car caught fire on the GP circuit, damaging the asphalt. 13,000 Euro bill!

21 hours ago, milko said:

If you choose a HUD option that isn't "full" I think the virtual mirror then goes away.    You can also edit the HUD layout and elements too.

There is a known issue due to resolution difference between the VR headset and the monitor that means the pointer on screen isnt actually moving the element you think you're selecting...  One work around is to plug in an Xbox game controller into your PC, then you can supposedly select and move those elements around using that.   Or, fire the game up and make all the HUD element changes in pancake mode.

On 25/10/2022 at 08:10, Valver said:

Right, to the Nordschleife!

432629040_Automobilista2Screenshot2022_10.25-08_29_42_20.thumb.jpg.7ebbf88973144323b7fdf0bd121d32a9.jpg

Damn that is hard work.  It's the Nurburgring GP circuit to start, then out onto the Nordschliefe, ending up back on the 'Ring's start finish straight. 

So many blind crests and corners that come out of nowhere.  Took a while before I could get any valid laps.

In the Corvette GTE I got a 9.08  :wub:    9 minutes of sweat and concentration.  Its *easily* beatable if you know where you are going.  But that's a big *if*

11 hours ago, Valver said:

In the Corvette GTE I got a 9.08  :wub:    9 minutes of sweat and concentration.  Its *easily* beatable if you know where you are going.  But that's a big *if*

Challenge accepted! I do know the track very well though 😁

In Ireland with the band this weekend, but I'll have a go at this when I'm back on Sunday. 

Top tip - if you use the 'Time Trial' option to set a lap, there's a leaderboard and people can download your ghost to practice against. Someone *cough* was #10 in the rankings for the E30 at Donnington :)

Not sure if it saves every ghost, or just the first X times in the list though.

11 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Challenge accepted! I do know the track very well though 😁

I always start a lap thinking I know it, then at some point I inevitably get mixed up and end up in the barrier.

Only VR seems to capture just how bloody steep some bits of it are too.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

I'm in two minds about the DLC. €45 is rather steep for something I won't be using for a while so I think I'm going to give it a pass (pun not intended).

I had similar thoughts, but then realise I spend more money on a meal out so even if I get a couple of good evenings gameplay out of this it seems worth it.  I don't always carry this sort of logic across other gaming titles; but sim racing can have an exception :D  I did something similar for Raceroom and although I don't race with it often I've had some great races with the SCB guys.

35 minutes ago, davejm said:

I had similar thoughts, but then realise I spend more money on a meal out so even if I get a couple of good evenings gameplay out of this it seems worth it.  I don't always carry this sort of logic across other gaming titles; but sim racing can have an exception :D  I did something similar for Raceroom and although I don't race with it often I've had some great races with the SCB guys.

Yeah but I've just bought a GPU and I've got a house move coming up. 😜 😅

43 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah and it includes future DLC like historic Spa etc. The season pass at this price is a total bargain. 

21 minutes ago, Meers said:

Yeah but I've just bought a GPU and I've got a house move coming up. 😜

Of course mate, I think I was just trying to justify it to myself more than anything.  I don't expect you to follow the same twisted logic as me :D