IGNORED

Automobilista 2

SharkyOB

Loved the racing this evening. :wub:

The Roco's and that track are brilliant.  Love the handling.    The second race in particular was so action packed - I saved the replay to upload to Youtube - watch it.  it's brilliant.  I was gutted to see @mrben09 eventually losing his well earned lead - mate, your driving was superb this evening!    Also, enjoy my first corner antics as I fluffed my pole position start and ended up going three wide into turn one  - and how I ended up stuck - desperately trying to find how to get back into the race.  Top tip - dont quit to pits, you effectively forfeit the race and can only spectate from then on - instead you need to bind a key quickly to "Reset Car" in the options menu - hit that and then you get respawned on track and can carry on.  Obviously figuring all that out mid race while wearing my "VR hat" wasn't stressful at all!

Congrats to @SneakyNinja on the winning!

And then I won a truck race!  Although TBH they were less fun to race than I had hoped... 

Finally, GT3s at Brand at the end of the evening were an eye opener.  The handling is quite different to ACCs.  Much more alive, playful even.  The turn in is a bit odd initially, but the car happily slides a bit and you can catch it easily enough.  The graphical effects of the sun and fog, and the fact it runs SO much better then ACC in VR made it very very enjoyable.

I just wish the UI and the server browser weren't a total dumpster fire in this game.  It has so much potential.  When it works, it really works!

I'd still like to try some other car types - stock cars and so on as milko suggested...

Video will be along in a minute.  I may render a few out tomorrow if they're interesting enough...

6 hours ago, Valver said:

Loved the racing this evening. :wub:

I was gutted to see @mrben09 eventually losing his well earned lead - mate, your driving was superb this evening! 

I just wish the UI and the server browser weren't a total dumpster fire in this game.  It has so much potential.  When it works, it really works!

I loved it as well, the Roco is a great car indeed and really fun to drive. Goes for the GT3 cars as well (the ones I tried at least).

I wasn't aware that it was @mrben09 who was in the lead in the 2nd race! I had a close scrap with you and @davejm for the last part of that race! Great to see you at the front of the pack, this game seems to suit you much more than ACC. And as much as I love ACC, I must admit that AMS2 is much more accessible than ACC, it takes itself less serious and there's a lot of focus on close racing. The environment of that track we drove on (which one was it?) with the Roco's really gives you the feeling on being there (even in pancake mode).

But the UI and some of its functionality is buggy as hell. In last night's session alone I encountered plenty of issues: There's no way to scale the HUD (not a bug, but nevertheless), there's no lobby search function and lobbies just don't show up after numerous refreshing attempts, the FFB in the trucks (and the trucks alone it seems) is borked on the CSL Elite / Macca rim combo (wheel keeps turning left and right violently), and I had a bug in the HUD where I didn't have the layout that I had chosen (I had the tyre telemetry on-screen right in my view, and it's huge). Seems to me that this game hasn't been tested that well.

10 hours ago, Valver said:

Congrats to @milko on the winning!

Pretty sure I came second both times, to @SneakyNinja, in the Roco races. Lots of fun, I did enjoy messing around with those, the handling being so different to our usual made a nice change. Wish the game wasn't so painful to set up!

17 minutes ago, milko said:

Pretty sure I came second both times, to @SneakyNinja, in the Rocco races. Lots of fun, I did enjoy messing around with those, the handling being so different to our usual made a nice change. Wish the game wasn't so painful to set up!

Ooops - yeah - edited to correct that! :lol:

The other race replays aren't so action packed, and AMS2 doesn't seem to support highlight reels - so you just get one monolithic 10 lap replay.  So I'll skip recording and posting them.

The in game screenshot feature is decent though (better than ACC's - essentially its the standard functionality from the PCARS2 engine...)

I like the flames spitting out of my Merc as I tried to hang on to @davejm's Macca...

ss104933.thumb.jpg.201e184a9fc9d75224dede84e9227b45.jpg

Racing round the lake in the sunshine (seconds from disaster)

ss105704.thumb.jpg.3b541c849becfe8049c27d5b244b862a.jpg

This is my fave pic I think.  I like the visible lean and the tyre flex on this big beast. And, yeah I like this corner at Brands for photos, so what :lol:

ss092739.thumb.jpg.0553cc1cda132b0a5c9c49f6bc8c4b13.jpg

I thought ACC can do that screenshot stuff nowadays? I've not really played with it though, just remembering vaguely some patch notes. God those lorries were hard to drive.

Got my VR hat sorted (rebooting PC was I think the eventual answer, no idea why it failed last night) so I'll be back to having useful things like the ability to see cars that are close alongside next time.

On 13/04/2022 at 08:01, mrben09 said:

we have a table booked in a pub on Thursday evening to witness the grisly end of West Ham's European Tour. 

I trust you enjoyed that one!

• 1 month later...

nice, that'll make organising week-off-ACC races easier. (Apart from when we have ideas mid-race about getting in random truck/track combos I suppose)

Oooh yes!  More AMS2 occasional races please!

Love this bit:

To celebrate the launch of Automobilista 2 on Simracing.GP we are hosting a launch event on Wednesday 1st June in a faux 24 hours race around the green hell. The cars that will take to the track are a mixture of GT3 GT4 & GT5, this is our best attempt to recreate the iconic Nordschleife 24 hours race. The event will be time scaled to simulate 24 hours within 1 hour, this is to show off the incredible visuals available in AMS2 during the day to night transitions. If you would like to take part,register your interest on this form now and we will invite a select number of drivers to join us in the race. 

...that might convince me to buy some of the DLC!

2 hours ago, milko said:

nice, that'll make organising week-off-ACC races easier. (Apart from when we have ideas mid-race about getting in random truck/track combos I suppose)

I hope they fixed the Fanatec FFB bug that I had the other week with those trucks. There's an update I see, so here's hoping.

Otherwise, yeah it would make for easier organising. I'm interested to see what they've come up with.

• 1 month later...

Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 is now available -the new update brings the Argentinean Track Pack featuring 3 free new tracks to AMS2 (Buenos Aires (6 layouts), Cordoba (3 layouts), and Termas Rio Rondo), along with further bug fixing, maintenance of older content & extending recent physics developments to a wider range of cars

Group A, BMW M1 Procar, Sprint Race, F-Retro Gen3, Metalmoro MRX (all models), Roco 001, MCR Sports 2000 Opala 1986, Omega 1999, Copa Classic B & FL, Mini JCW UK, Caterham Academy, F-3, F-Trainer (both models), F-Vee now join the list of cars to have received extensive physics revisions, with several previously revised cars also receiving further updates.

Full changelog here:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1066890/view/3356885688278973752?fbclid=IwAR3BDFNZ6pFI8QeMlFz-xAdsoB6ur8vj8l_Qd6oIA7qzf_VJqSVNnm7AzbQ

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Blimey, we're absolutely spoilt for good and diverse sim racing content aren't we?!

Yeah but I don't have the time to play most of them unfortunately. 😅

• 1 month later...

Spent quite a bit of time with this over the weekend and it feels like it's really improved since I last played it.  Lots of great mods available on RD too, mainly car skins but for me, racing against cars with real liveries adds loads to the game.  So far I've mostly focused on various eras of F1 as well as the BMW Pro Car and the 70s Porsche RSR.  Hoping to find some skins for the 60s Mini at some point.  Some of the mods also come with real driver names although that's not the case with all of them.

I've setup a custom championship for the early 70s F1 cars (Formula Retro Gen 1), using period correct tracks where I can.  Qualified on pole for Kyalami and finished 3rd, due to a couple of errors and because I'm still working out pit strategies etc at the moment.  Next round is Argentina (the Buenos Aires track @Valver mentioned above).  I last raced this track in Grand Prix 3 around 20 years ago and, although a couple of bits felt familiar, it seemed way twister and technical than I remember.  I just found some footage of someone playing the GP3 version on YT though and it is exactly the same track, just way harder to drive in the early 70s cars!  Qualified 2nd though, so it'll be race day later 😊

OK - the ACC "off season" continues - so how about an AMS2 race for next Thursday night? (the 11th)

I can try and set something up using simracing.gp, or just ad hoc a server using my own PC.  

Anyone interested? 

Any preferences in cars/tracks, or shall I just pick something?

I've had a play around in some cars today and I absolutely *loved* the German Group A Touring cars (a 1990's BMW 3 series and a Merc 190E with comedy wing mirrors) 

Plenty of power, a manual H pattern gearbox and very playful at the limit.  Lots of power sliding.  Lots of fast footwork required too.

I've set this up as a placeholder...  a race at Donington.  Not sure if Ive done it right, we will see.

https://beta.simracing.gp/events/YXbdNWEpZeLpb-qkKQNIB

On 06/08/2022 at 17:03, Valver said:

I've had a play around in some cars today and I absolutely *loved* the German Group A Touring cars (a 1990's BMW 3 series and a Merc 190E with comedy wing mirrors) 

Plenty of power, a manual H pattern gearbox and very playful at the limit.  Lots of power sliding.  Lots of fast footwork required too.

I've set this up as a placeholder...  a race at Donington.  Not sure if Ive done it right, we will see.

https://beta.simracing.gp/events/YXbdNWEpZeLpb-qkKQNIB

Great car/track combo choice!

I've had a few laps and it's knackering, but good fun with 3 pedals and shifter. I'm only 0.5s off my flappy paddle time too which is a bonus.

Not many of us registered for tomorrow, but I'm still up for it.

Its an absolutely cracking car and track choice isn't it!  :wub:  So much dancing on the edge of grip.  Love it.

I also really love the shorter "National" layout too.  That last chicane is great and driving it always reminds me of the TOCA races from the PSOne era.

1.15.2 something is my best time so far... how does that compare to what you've put in @SneakyNinja?  I captured a representative drifty lap for shits and giggles.

We have 3 registered drivers for Thursday so far.  Enough for the session to start, at least.  Can we rustle up any more racers? @mrben09 @Meers??

1 hour ago, Valver said:

1.15.2 something is my best time so far... how does that compare to what you've put in @SneakyNinja?  I captured a representative drifty lap for shits and giggles.

For a minute there I thought I was in trouble as my time (from memory) is 1.43, then I noticed I was practicing the longer GT3 layout! Phew :) 

Your video perfectly captures what they're like to drive too, great work.