Automobilista 2

SharkyOB

The original Automobilista was released in 2016 and is one of the most highly regarded driving sims ever released.  The new game has just released into a short early access phase on Steam at a discounted price of £24.99.  As a side note, it's only come out in early access due to the Covid-19 crisis, which has affected their ability to get everything finished on time and the main release will be 1 or 2 months from now.  There is a crazy expensive season pass (£71.99!!), but you can ignore that as the game is pretty much feature complete and contains a crazy amount of content already.

It's primarily based on the Brazilian racing scene, where the developers Reiza are based, but the new game contains content from all sorts of international racing disciplines.  It's got racing trucks!

Cars (and Trucks!):

image.thumb.png.dc365dc57a499b6b42aaffd88e9b3190.png

Tracks:

image.thumb.png.11fb572688ee7a5c9aa66ce544061804.png

Here's a link to the Reiza forum post for current content, as the image is hard to read here:

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-2-all-cars-and-tracks-currently-in-the-game-beta3.8704/

And this is just what's available now, there's more to be added during early access.

The game is based on the same engine as Project Cars 2, so has all the same great weather/time-of-day features, but has been hugely tweaked by the devs and already has excellent force feedback/AI etc and is fully VR compatible too.  I'm very impressed with it so far, driving the 90s F1 car at Suzuka felt pretty special for example.  Anyone else interested or getting it?

12 minutes ago, df0 said:

I wondered for far too long why Capcom would give the development of a sequel to a Brazilian developer. Turns out, my brain read the title as Auto Modelista. Still does.

As does mine.

I'm a little disappointed there's no cel shading in this thread. :(

• 1 year later...

Downloading this now.  In true form I've got a server installed even before the game has finished downloading :D  

Gonna have a play around with some of the car and track combos; but I'm thinking that for our ACC mid season break we could have an open-wheeler/single seater race around one of the South American tracks.  Ibarra looks amazing!

Ibarra in the Roco 001 (P3 class) is a brilliant combo.  Just did some practice and a 10 lap AI race and it was soooo much fun.

Can't get the game to look good in VR though :(  The shimmer and aliasing is awful and can't really dial it out.  ACC gets a lot of flack for its VR performance, but I've been able to get it looking nicer than any other game. 

50 minutes ago, davejm said:

Ibarra in the Roco 001 (P3 class) is a brilliant combo.  Just did some practice and a 10 lap AI race and it was soooo much fun.

Can't get the game to look good in VR though :(  The shimmer and aliasing is awful and can't really dial it out.  ACC gets a lot of flack for its VR performance, but I've been able to get it looking nicer than any other game. 

this may help?  

edit:  Also found this....

Thanks @Valver.  I'd settled on similar in-game settings and it looks OK; I just think some of the older games don't have brilliant AA solutions and aliasing/shimmering is something I'm really sensitive too.  I'll try that sharpness tweak.

EDIT:- Some of the settings (like the grass, and turning off some of the effects) have given me 30% more headroom which is cool!

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

Thanks @Valver.  I'd settled on similar in-game settings and it looks OK; I just think some of the older games don't have brilliant AA solutions and aliasing/shimmering is something I'm really sensitive too.  I'll try that sharpness tweak.

Just FYI - Automobilista 2 is a newer game than ACC (by about 2 years...  ACC released Sept 2018 and Automobilista was March 2020)

3 minutes ago, Valver said:

Just FYI - Automobilista 2 is a newer game than ACC (by about 2 years...  ACC released Sept 2018 and Automobilista was March 2020)

Really?  Yikes!!  Didn't know that.  Either way, the post processing AA isn't great.  I guess it's really just the difference between the madness engine and UE4 and what's available to the devs.

9 hours ago, davejm said:

Guys, the Roco 001 at Ibarra HAS to be the combo for our race.  It's brilliant.  Give it a go!

I just tried it - that was fun.   Fast car - but actually quite stable.

I really appreciate the way the mirrors work in VR in this game - proper 3D with head position correct perspective.  Makes ACCs look sh*t.

21 hours ago, davejm said:

Guys, the Roco 001 at Ibarra HAS to be the combo for our race.  It's brilliant.  Give it a go!

Had another crack at this today - I'm really enjoying the driving feel.  My times tumbled as I trusted the car to stick on the flat out first three corners...  I could do with a time to compare to though.  Here's my best lap, which was the last one before I ran out of fuel 😄   Default everything - probably need to start investigating tyre temps/pressures!

image.thumb.png.cbe77ecd7c11fea7d121546d6aa1c0ad.png

It really flows doesn't it!   It's a bit featureless trackside (from a brake marker POV), but I like the mountains and hills in the distance.

Did you say you'd set up a server? 😜

edit: just tried the Formula V10.  Oh the noise! :wub:

31 minutes ago, Valver said:

Did you say you'd set up a server? 😜

It's not running at the moment, but yeah.  I couldn't work out how to restrict it by car; so needs a bit more faffing.  But otherwise it's there.  I'll get it running :)

It's running now.  Do you want to try and connect?  It still lets me change car, which is odd.  Even though the info on the actual session says that the 'server controls the track and car' choice.

One of the other things I wanted to check was whether people could join mid session, as its got a 'vote to start' type system.  I'm connected now, do you want to give it a try?

You'll see the server as 'rllmuk Racing - Practice'.  Password is same as usual.

44 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Is a shame SMS never did get Project Cars right. This was what it should have been given it uses the same engine.

It's a shame they didn't get it right so it could be the game this already is?

3 hours ago, davejm said:

@Valver can you try and find the server again?

OK, I can see and join it now!

As you said earlier, the server informed me I could only pick the Roco - but then it actually allowed me to pick any of the P3 cars. Odd. 😁

Whatever the first P3 in the list is, it picked by default, so I drove that and it was just as fun as the Roco - but maybe a bit faster?  I got a 1.23, with a predicted 1.22 if I could string all my best sectors together.  The car was dancing and sliding just subtly all round the track - it was glorious!  Even the engine noises, with the revs burbling and rising and falling in the pits were ace.

What also helped my enjoyment was the time of day you'd picked.  When I started it was a bit foggy and the sun was hidden behind the mountain - and then as I lapped the sun popped over the top of the hills, the track was bathed in sunshine in the last third (from the chicane to the start finish straight) and the whole landscape just felt *beautiful* :wub:

I am rapidly starting to love this sim!

yeah, although I was going to save my fancy weather settings for the actual race :D  Just forgot to reset things.  Might throw some rain in the mix ;)  The AMS2 weather settings are much more flexible than ACC.

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

It's a shame they didn't get it right so it could be the game this already is?

Different tracks, different car series thou'. I felt the two would have complemneted each other really well.

Still theres always Pcars 4 😆

I just set this up on my new McClaren wheel. Didn't realise they'd simulated road effects so well. The cars are fantastic.

Joined your server again this evening @davejm.   Did you tweak things again? This time I was forced to take the Roco - so thats working now.

Got my Roco time down to 1.42.1-something

Cant seem to find my lap records or replays anywhere...  to google!

8 hours ago, Valver said:

Joined your server again this evening @davejm.   Did you tweak things again? This time I was forced to take the Roco - so thats working now.

Got my Roco time down to 1.42.1-something

Cant seem to find my lap records or replays anywhere...  to google!

No changes :D  It let me change car last time I was on.  Wonder what's up with that!

It doesn't list any saved replays when I click that?  A quick search online seems to indicate it only saves replays at the end of a full race? 

I was hoping it was possible to pause the game after a good lap and save a replay for example.  Shame.

The actual driving, FFB feel, graphics and VR support are all top notch - but some of the UI and quality of life stuff round the edges is a bit barebones.  The server browser functionality is even less well developed than ACC's - and I thought that was cr@p :lol:

edit: 

Fine AMS2, I'll do it myself (Alt+F9, thank you Nvidia). 

A decent enough lap on @davejm's server.  Slid a bit wide on the fast left hander (turn 9?) and I still dont think I have the final hairpin line correct for maximum exit speed on the looong straight.  But just great fun blasting round!

Excuse a bit of VR wobble and a few head turns as I adjust the Quest2's straps mid lap 🙂