One Step from Eden

Literally everyone who's played it says it's really hard and I'm too scared/have literally dozens of other games to play at the moment. So for as much as it sounds very much my thing it's going to take a very significant discount or baby-mode patch to get me now I think.

It is good. And it is hard. Even after getting the hang of it, which took a good few hours, I still think it asks a bit much in the later stages. I still haven't managed to finish it, but I kept coming back because there's a lot there to experiment with once you unlock a decent quantity of cards and characters.

I was told there's a patch coming soon to make it easier. Not sure what it'll do exactly or when it's happening though.

I keep going back to this and improving. 

The bosses are definitely tricky, but you also learn how to deal with their attacks. 

I'd say it's excellent. Really easy to have one more go, like Slay the Spire.

• 4 months later...

Bought this last night and spent a few hours on it. It kept me off Monster Train for the evening, which is no small feat.

First run was completely baffling and overwhelming. I ended up not taking any cards or relics as I was still figuring out what the hell my default build was doing. Second run I thought "ok ok I think I have an idea of what's happening". Third run I got a bit more adventurous and found a couple of early synergies. After that I struggled to put it down. I genuinely closed the game down and went to turn off my PC, then loaded it up again for one more go. Twice.

Love the soundtrack, and I'm still a sucker for this art style despite a lot of folks being burned out on cutesy pixel art these days. Looks to have a good amount of content too. The first character is going to keep me busy for a while and there's quite a big roster still to unlock. Not watching any let's plays or streams etc. for a while. Sticking with my self-imposed black out as with Monster Train I've really enjoyed working a lot of it out for myself.

From my initial few hours with it I'm a big fan. As if I needed a third deck building roguelite addiction.

• 4 months later...

I received this in the Muk Secret Santa and have been enjoying it a lot. It feels like a mix of Slay the Spire (in as much as you have a "deck" and acquire cards for it as you progress, along with relics), Into the Breach (in that your positioning is very important) and the active time battle system from the Final Fantasy games.

Trying to comprehend everything is absolute madness, it throws you in at the deep end right from the start and there is just so much to take in, it's very difficult to know whether a card that fires off projectiles diagonally is going to be useful or if a laser is going to be useful or if anything at all is going to be useful or if Skip Rewards is secretly the best card in the game /jorbs. After a couple of hours I was more comfortable with things but still have no idea if the stuff I'm passing over is secretly brilliant.

The bosses are intense, and are going to be the thing that makes or breaks the game for me. It's difficult to focus on both sides of the playfield at once when you are old and crap, and the bosses feel like Real Videogame Bosses with patterns and enormous health pools and that. I get the feeling I need to concentrate more on dodging than I do on dealing damage, and just hoping that eventually I'll be able to chip away at them long enough to finish them off before they get me. On the plus side, when you beat one they heal you and also proceed to show up later in your run on occasion to help give you a head-start, applying status effects to enemies or making their terrain harder to navigate, amongst other things.

I've unlocked a few of the characters now and am enjoying the templar-style character a lot; it feels like you can build a more synergistic deck with her than you can the first character you're given, who is just "here are the spells and they do damage". It's a lot of fun stacking armour and then wanging that across the board for several hundred damage, though the risk is there as you have to pick the armour up again else it's gone for good! I'm still rubbish though but am looking forward to playing more. The relics and cards seem to offer the promise of a synergistic deck but I find that 80% of the cards offered wind up being irrelevant so you either have very few cards in your deck and have to reshuffle a lot, or you are giving up on synergy really quickly. More experimentation required, and while I don't know if this will reach the heights of Slay the Spire for me, it's very good and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• 1 month later...

Gone back to this and am still really enjoying it (only stopped playing due to the Christmas glut of games). Turns out you can set a "focus" for your deck which apparently increases the likelihood of receiving cards for that faction, which helps streamline things. So much so that I just made it to the last stage for the first time with what I felt was a really good deck (the card that hits for the amount of money you have, when upgraded so it hits twice, is Quite Busted) and oh my fucking god you've never seen a bruised ego like mine right now