Super Mario 3D All-Stars - THE SUN SHINES ON A GALAXY OF HATERS (in hd)

I bought digital had a couple of minutes on mario 64 before I had to go to work  are the other two 4:3 ratio or is there a way to 16:9 ?

not getting a PS5 preorder yet doesn’t really matter now I’ll be playing switch for months with all stars pickmin and mario 3D all coming 

I bought the 2 for £84 deal 

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

Took me another 5 attempts to get to the end rather than plummeting to my death!

I accidentally took the secret tunnel and he called me a cheater. Dave Perry would be proud.

Sunshine is 16:9

How the fuck do you do the manta rays on the beach?! I’m sure it was easy but a single mistake knocks me backwards into the electric goo which stuns me long enough to let another one knock me back and I lose all my health one by one, except when the spray works and I don’t? I’m sure this shine was easy?!

I remember doing a good few 360 spin jumps while spraying back in the day. Think thats how anyway.

Day off today so spent a few hours with it this morning. Mario 64 shocked me how well it still holds up, been years.

I loved Sunshine back on the GC days and although it took a bit to get used to the controls, I'm loving it again.

Picked up the 6yo from school and he was super excited to play. Strangely he was best at Galaxy, no problem running upside-down, flinging himself off planets and killing goombas. I honestly thought it would have melted his brain!

I played the first part of each game this morning and 64 was the one that grabbed my attention the most and had me coming back to it throughout the day. Got just under half the Stars already. I love Galaxy, but I think that 64 is the best one by a country mile.

Waiting for the Sunshine players to hit the water melon rolling..... :D or the Ferris wheel..... Love sunshine though one of my favourite Mario's lovely visuals and music ..... And a water pistol what isn't there to love :)

It’s been interesting going back with a much fresher and more jaded pair of eye.  Suddenly all the tricks Nintendo used to overcome the same making-a-game-in-3D-problems Sony and Sega and everyone else were having are much more visible and obvious. Mario 64 is at its core really very simple technically/visually, they just embraced the limitations so well that it all looks intentional.

It seems my other half did not buy the game as my birthday gift as directed. I had expected to be balls deep in Mario Sunshine by this time of the evening so suffice to say I’m a bit miffed. 

I do really want the physical version but I think the only sensible thing to do now is buy from the eShop and start playing tomorrow morning. 

Sigh. 

I too care a lot about what the cart that I can’t see inside my Switch looks like. People don’t half like to moan about shit that really doesn’t matter.

Anyway this is great. Galaxy is just as good as I remember it, and it’s been an absolute joy playing it with the kid on star bit collecting duties. 

Played the first few Shines in Sunshine too and man that game looks lovely, really makes me hope we’ll get more Cube games over time.

Just want to say that I am very annoyed about certain aspects of this release (timed is bullshit, where is Galaxy 2). There, I've added my voice. Obviously I've still bought it, it's three of the best games ever made at a decent price on the best console.

Time to finally 100% Sunshine. Bring it on, you weird, capricious bastard.

Loving these all over again! Also do miss packaging ar times! You even got a DVD on how to play with SMG2! Cute never opened mine or used the quick play guide :D

Currently playing these on the Wii - only just started SMG so thinking of getting then into the PC and running through a Wii emulator. Should be able to get these nicely upscaled to HD and get the Wii controller working too.... Going to be awesome.

PXL_20200919_043501509-02.jpeg

PXL_20200919_043320544-03.jpeg

21 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Looking for a physical copy it seems Currys have stock. £44.99 then add code “FNDDGAME” for 20% off.

Hopefully they actually DO have it and I’ll pick it up later today.

I swear to god the game was listed at £44.99 at the point when I added it to my basket, then the price changed to £49.99 when I hit the button to go to checkout!

The code still works though, bringing the total back down to £44.99, which I think is still the best price if I want to click, collect and play later this morning. 

Birthday - unruined. 

Just been playing through good egg galaxy and one thing struck me. They controller on the Wii. Noticed that I was finding it easier to navigate in a straight line because the stick on the nunchuck kept the same design as the Gamecube - it has little notches around the edges of the stick to almost lock it into a position to help align things. Certainly helps in 3D worlds and come to think of it they introduced this on the N64 with the original Mario. Think it's one thing they sadly overlooked on the Switch controller. Even the "Pro" controller lacks it. Little touches that I loved about Nintendo hardware. 

C'mon Nintendo let's see you carry the better ideas forward with each hardware iteration you push out!

A few points. Only on 64. 

-I don't care much for Jolly Roger Bay so far. 

-The Digital Foundry video mentioned that thing where poundland Mario shows up when you get too far from the screen but then changes to proper Mario when you stop moving. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't see the video but I notice it happening every time now. :lol:

-I'm not sure how I managed to get as many stars as I did playing this on DS. That kick jump star in Cool Cool Mountain, I can't have got using the slider thingy, couldn't have happened. 

-Still think they should have changed it so you restarted the level after you die instead of going back to the castle. 

It's Mario 64 so it's still good but the feeling they could have done a bit more is still there. 

2 minutes ago, Gwangi said:

Amazon refunded £5 against my £49.99 preorder which was unexpected.

That's fucking annoying, they charged me the full 47.50

Not that it's any surprise to me but I still can't get in with Mario 64. It's like my feelings on The Beatles; I realise the importance but I just don't give a fuck.

The platforming and whatnot seems really imprecise with me thinking I'm just on a platform and then falling off, misjudging distances, stuff like that. I'll keep dipping into it when I'm not playing Galaxy.

Also, I like how loads of people were like "WHAT ABOUT PICKING UP STAR BITS?!" and Nintendo are like "Gyro controls, bitch."

Previously I’ve completed all of these and have been waiting to go back but boy did Nintendo really not put much care into this package. If anything they are ever so slightly worse than the originals.

Lets start with Mario 64. I never knew about the low poly model until more recently and thought that was quite cool. Except now the game is in 720p I can see it ALL the time and you don’t even have to be that far out for the model to change. The N64 stick has such a unique feeling to it too, it’s taller and stiffer and Mario feels slightly odd to control now.

Mario Sunshine, the lack of analogue fludd creates little issues especially early on. When those oil enemies are near you before you’d do a light push of the trigger and spray just in front of you but now because you can only do a full spray you can’t get anything directly in front of you. The two button set up also feels far less natural than with the GameCube controller. Why they didn’t make it fully useable with the GameCube controller I’ll never know.

Galaxy, playing in hand held mode is a chore as you can only collect star bits with the touch screen. Right stick is ALWAYS camera control.

Thats not to say these are bad it’s just very clear Nintendo wanted to do the bare minimum here rather than spending a bit of time tweaking things for the better. It’s a shame as they should have gone all out for this set.

20 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I thought it in 2007 and, having played a bit of it last night, I believe that Galaxy is, quite possibly, the greatest game ever; a truly timeless piece of work. It’s a bit of an unfair comparison given that it arrived over a decade into the 3D-era, but there’s nothing in it that ages it or makes you think “people wouldn’t be having this if it came out today”. 

From the visuals to the soundtrack to the level design to the way it controls, it could launch tomorrow and I doubt a person ignorant of Mario would peg it as a 13 year old game. Genius.

I’m finding it hard to believe it’s 13 years old. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - THE SUN SHINES ON A GALAXY OF HATERS (in hd)