Super Mario 3D All-Stars - THE SUN SHINES ON A GALAXY OF HATERS (in hd)

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

So played a little 64 and Sunshine, was Mario 64 always this juddery? The controls on Sunshine are going to take some getting used to but it looks amazing. 

No, it's not juddery on an N64. The Digital Foundry video notes some frame pacing issues, which is what you're experiencing.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

HHHHNNNNNGGGGG!

It's so bloody beautiful. I'm seemingly now terrible at Sunshine, my girlfriend was giggling at my attempts to just jump onto a rope, when I used to practically speedrun such things. Yet to step back into Galaxy, but first runs in 64 and Sunshine make me almost weep with delight.

Yeah, bit of a shock to the system at how crap I was at it. 

Have I lost my skills?

No, it must be the game that is wrong.

...and then back round to accepting I'm just a bit shit. 

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

How does fludd feel without analogue buttons?

Yes I was wondering that too... IRC it was really useful to have fine control over the water jet.... I guess they could map it to one of the joycon sitcks just won't feel right I guess.... 

Galaxy on the Lite is fine. Y instead of shake to spin and thumb on the touch screen to collect / fire gems. Looks great on the small screen too. £40 for Galaxy without waggle that I can play on the lav is money well spent!

FLUDD feels a bit weird at first being mapped to two buttons. If the controls were being completely redone then they'd probably just use ZL as a modifier to keep you stationery and a single spray button. I quickly got used to the way it is though. Also, I forgot that they removed the long jump from Sunshine. It feels wrong.

I couldn't play Galaxy with the Pro Controller. Had to switch to the Joy-Con. You could probably complete Galaxy using the Pro Controller with no issues, but I doubt that you could comfortably play it the way you're supposed to using the pointer all the time.

Got all seven stars in the first three areas and onto Jolly Roger Bay; I've got Never Ever by All Saints blastin' on repeat to recreate Christmas '97 perfectly.

I'm loving it so far. I'm happy with them retaining the visuals of the original but the draw distance on regular coins could have done with a fix, a real pain when going for 100 coins in a stage.

Mario still feels amazing, the best he ever has. Wild that they nailed it so perfectly first time. I dont quite remember everything, even in these early stages, so that's a bonus!

Gonna get 120 stars (eventually) then move on to Sunshine!

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

No, it's not juddery on an N64. The Digital Foundry video notes some frame pacing issues, which is what you're experiencing.

How the fuck can it run Doom yet not run Mario 64 properly? 

15 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Go and do something, that always does the trick.

I find going for a jobby always does the trick. I've had to nip it a few times when waiting for a parcel. Thankfully I had had my morning constipational before the post arrived today.

5 minutes ago, SteveH said:

How the fuck can it run Doom yet not run Mario 64 properly? 

It quite clearly can because you can run the recompiled version on (a hacked) Switch with widescreen and other enhancements.#

This should never have been run on an emulator, Nintendo been real lazy with this collection.

28 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Mario 64 is still incredible fun and looks beautiful. 

As for those moaning about it being lazy, well they fixed the snow on the penguin level so shut up. 

What was the problem with the snow? They didn''t fix anything though, this version of M64 is based on the updated japanese n64 game.

God I hate Sunshine. I knew I did but I’m shocked at how quickly I got fucked off with it again. I don't think shooting water with fludd is ever truly enjoyable. It's wildly uncontrollable while running and not a lot better when locked in position. The cooldown means that by the time you are actually hitting your target you need to start all over again. Horrible 

and the heat-blur effect is just god-awful

35 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

What was the problem with the snow? They didn''t fix anything though, this version of M64 is based on the updated japanese n64 game.

Maybe reference to the new sprite for it which is much sharper and therefore not a bit of a blurry mess

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I find going for a jobby always does the trick. I've had to nip it a few times when waiting for a parcel. Thankfully I had had my morning constipational before the post arrived today.

Too much information!

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - THE SUN SHINES ON A GALAXY OF HATERS (in hd)