Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

Just now, Colonel Panic said:

I've found my least favourite Star in Super Mario Galaxy. Forgot alllll about this shithead's rubbish problem.

image.thumb.png.295dd765a898e903541caf091f0a0b1c.png

Yes. Tried once when I got there and missed by a second or so. Gave up and went back on with the level.

I'm at 110 stars at 64 now, just got 100 coins on Tick Tock Clock, all of Rainbow Ride, 8 red coins on Bowser's third level and then the flying red coins level at the top of the castle.

I think the only unfair stars would be the owl one on level 2, the second Peach's slide one (I remembered both of these from the original) and the hidden mountain one (which I remembered after fluking my way into it). The controls are a little dated now, and makes a mockery of anyone slagging off Donkey Kong for not having controls as precise as Mario, but it's still an utterly fantastic game. 10 more stars then, and then I get to play Sunshine for the first time in nearly 20 years.

5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I've found my least favourite Star in Super Mario Galaxy. Forgot alllll about this shithead's rubbish problem.

Amazing how I've forgotten most of the significant events of my life, or my children's life, and yet it seems one glance at that and I know I won't forget or forgive.

Going back to Galaxy 2 this week I think the reason it didn't make this collection is because the Yoshi controls don't easily map to the Pro Controller or touch screen. It would be the same as Pikmin 3 where it's only playable with the joycons. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - It's Always Sunny in Isle Delfino

Considering how disappointed I was by retrying Sunshine, I am immeasurably glad that 64 remains utterly brilliant. How on Earth Nintendo went from something so perfect to so janky, I find difficult to understand. Controls feel so much more solid and responsive, difficulty is perfectly judged instead of total bullshit, a few camera issues but nothing serious.

60 stars in and I'm going to absolutely rinse it this evening.

For the 100 Coin Shines in Sunshine, how you dispatch of enemies also affects how many coins they drop. In Bianco Hills the enemies that hide as flowers drop 1 coin if you jump on them, but drop 3 if you use Fludd to blast them into a wall. A similar thing with Pokeys, where if you can jump on their heads while they are still standing, they'll drop 3 coins instead of 1.

I'm currently at 120 for both 64 and Sunshine, and am thinking of starting Galaxy today. It's been an interesting journey, as I prefer Sunshine over 64. I do think this is affected by not having an N64 growing up, so my first exposure to a 3D Mario was Sunshine, so it does have the nostalgia factor plus I am way more familiar with its controls and intricacies, making it far easier to jump back into (the side jump in 64 just felt impenetrable to me, as it's far harder to perform there than in Sunshine). However, going from 64 into Sunshine does make you miss some of Mario's toolkit: I get that with Fludd's hover function that the long jump isn't needed anymore, but it has a terrific sense of momentum that the hover lacks, though I do feel Sunshine's levels are obviously designed around it. I generally prefer Sunshine's levels too, from an aesthetic point of view I greatly enjoy the connected theme across all of those levels, and they hide some lovely little details (big ole fan of Sirena Beach and the Hotel) in comparison to 64's scattershot of ideas. And on a personal note, while Sunshine does suffer from a lack of levels compared to its predecessor, I frankly was not that big a fan of the back half of 64's levels. Sure they ramped up challenge, but the amount of bottomless pits and how sensitive Mario can be to slopes and sliding down them (coupled with the camera) meant that my enthusiasm for the likes of Tiny Huge, Tick Tock, Rainbow Ride and Shifting Sand took a real hit. Getting 100 Coins in some of those were a right nuisance, but I'm forgiving of it given it was Nintendo's first stab at 3D Mario, and the amount they got right far outweighs what hasn't aged as well.

How's everyone getting along with the touch screen controls in Galaxy in handheld mode? I never played the game before and I find some situations where I have to use them a bit un intuitive. Also, I think the game wanted me to use the touchscreen while also moving Mario and pressing buttons at some point, that's something I hope I won't have to do often because it's pretty much impossible. There's a chance I just didn't really understand what to do though...

1 hour ago, Sane said:

How's everyone getting along with the touch screen controls in Galaxy in handheld mode? I never played the game before and I find some situations where I have to use them a bit un intuitive. Also, I think the game wanted me to use the touchscreen while also moving Mario and pressing buttons at some point, that's something I hope I won't have to do often because it's pretty much impossible. There's a chance I just didn't really understand what to do though...

It is awkward but you do get used to it. I dug out my Wii and fired up SMG2 today and I can see why they didn't include it in this collection as the motion controls are much more integral to controlling Yoshi. If we see a port, it would likely have to be for docked Switch and split joycons only, which is maybe not a route Nintendo would want to go down.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Getting fucked off with Sunshine already. It’s not a patch on 64. 

Think I might just jump straight to Galaxy and forget Sunshine was ever made. 

I really enjoyed Sunshine, much more so than in 2002. It is a grower, took a good 20 shines for me to get into it though.

72 shines and just did the flaming goop mayor rescue level, which I don’t recall struggling with before but those spider things kept doing me in.

Struggling to see how there are 120 shines when I only have about 10 left, before blue coins.

There are a lot of secret Shines in Delfino Plaza. And every level has two secret Shines on top of the 8 standard and the 100 coin, making 11 in every level.

And don't underestimate the blue coins, they make about 24 Shines by my count.

7 hours ago, deKay said:

Struggling to see how there are 120 shines when I only have about 10 left, before blue coins.

struggle really is your only option going forward from there

I'm at the 25-whatever mark in all three and although 64 is still a total masterpiece and Sunshine is a hell of a lot more fun than I remember I'm struggling a bit to enjoy Galaxy. I'm not finding any of the control options particularly suitable and I'm also experiencing some weird gravity/control issues that I don't recall having previously (I'll be pushing the stick in one direction and Mario will get 'caught' and just start running round in an incredibly small tight circle). 

It looks and sounds utterly amazing and has imagination in spades but something feels a bit off. I guess when playing all three in quick succession rather than 5 years apart the changes in physics and control are a lot more pronounced. 

Not seen any comments shitting on Galaxy yet so I thought I'd come in here and complete the set for us. 

@JollyI agree with all of your points. I’ve only played it for an hour or so, but I miss the exploration of 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey. It definitely loses something in the transition to regular controls + touchscreen though (I will need to try it with detached joycons), and I’ve had a few moments where I was pushing the stick one way but moving another. I also think 3D World did the whole ‘single idea per level’ thing better.

29 minutes ago, Jolly said:

(I'll be pushing the stick in one direction and Mario will get 'caught' and just start running round in an incredibly small tight circle).

Im loving Galaxy but have had this a lot. It’s very very annoying.

Im down to something like 21 stars to go in Galaxy before I can go to the centre and it’s getting a little trickier. Longer stars frustrate although the restart points are normally quite generous. The pointer controls are passable but not great.

50 minutes ago, Paulando said:

@JollyI agree with all of your points. I’ve only played it for an hour or so, but I miss the exploration of 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey. It definitely loses something in the transition to regular controls + touchscreen though (I will need to try it with detached joycons), and I’ve had a few moments where I was pushing the stick one way but moving another. I also think 3D World did the whole ‘single idea per level’ thing better.

Try it with joycons it’s exquisite and just makes me want more Wii conversions.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine