Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

Nearing 90 shines now in Super Mario Sunshine, with all of the ‘main’ shines done and the final boss killed; I’ve got most of the secret shines to go, and a bunch of 100 coin shines. I’ll have to go for 100%, but I think I’ll need to use a guide to get all of the blue coins.

I think the most annoying one so far was the secret stage on the island around Delfino Plaza - you need to get a Yoshi over there, which is bad enough, but the stage itself is fucking woeful.

12 hours ago, Fondue said:

I started with Sunshine and played about an hour - thought it looked really nice still, much closer to Galaxy than SM64 given it was released half way between the two.  Really struggled with the camera / fludd controls being on the 'wrong' stick, but I will go back....

Mainly got sucked into Galaxy and it looks fan-tas-tic - so smooth and the 1080p resolution looks like it was always made that way. Good quality art styles don't age quickly. God I love this game.

Then had a shock going to SM64 (which I've owned at least 3 times before on various platforms) and was shocked at how poor it looked, particularly frame rate where it seemed really rough, especially after playing the buttery smooth Galaxy. It's almost like I could see two frames at the same time, if that makes sense? 

So it turns out playing sm64 handheld things look much better. I love the range of movement that they gave Mario, right from the get go - always a joy to chuck him around a level. 

And I just noticed.... Vibrations! So they obviously did more than 'just emulate' things! 

3 minutes ago, Fondue said:

So it turns out playing sm64 handheld things look much better. I love the range of movement that they gave Mario, right from the get go - always a joy to chuck him around a level. 

And I just noticed.... Vibrations! So they obviously did more than 'just emulate' things! 

3D All Stars Mario 64 is based off the Japan-only Shindou release, which included bug fixes alongside N64 rumble pak support.

43 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Well, maybe they've since been surpassed, but at the time they were the first 3D thing that resembled how a traditional Mario 2D level would play, i.e. as a linear assault course with lots of tricky platforming. At the time I really appreciated that purity a lot.

The problem is that manoeuvring in 3D space is a lot harder, Mario is way too slippy in Sunshine and the levels are very unforgiving. Case in point - the level I just played in Ricco Harbour has rotating platforms where if you jump, you are almost certain to die because they are quite narrow. You sort of have to run up them to stay on.

That’s not immediately obvious in a game about jumping, and the game kills you for doing the obvious thing. It then kills you for every other mistake you make. 2D Mario generally isn’t like that. There warm up time before you get to the tricky bits.

The other reason the void levels were loved was for the brilliant acapella SMB theme, back when it was a rare callback, before a million youtube covers, or watching Koji Kondo play it on piano whenever you want.

Interesting to see the nostalgia goggles starting to fall off for Sunshine now people actually get to play it again rather than form their opinions via 20 year old hazy memories of Delfino Plaza's theme tune and some good void levels. It's always been about 50% frustrating rubbish/filler.

I am loving all 3 of these games, even sunshine, although I am getting frustrated at certain shines. It definitely doesn’t have the polish of other Mario games though, it’s very obvious. To me though, a bad Mario game is still a good game. 

I still prefer odyssey over all of them though. Galaxy comes very very close, but it’s the move set in odyssey that makes it for me. Going back to it after playing all stars really shows how agile Mario now is. Surprisingly 64 is probably the second best, handling wise. 

17 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I’m playing Mario 64 for the first time and on the whole enjoying it. However, in the snowy level I need to do a triple jump to get to a star and I just can’t consistently do the damn thing. Am I missing something obvious or is the timing just really right/difficult to nail? It’s got to the point where it’s just frustrating me now and I’ve had to turn it off!

I finally managed it, thank god.  I’ve never walked so slowly as I did on the platform after the triple jump - buggered if I was going go through all that again!  

29 stars.... nearly at the next unlock!

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars and 3D World on Switch - Everyday Sunshine!
13 hours ago, Majora said:

Interesting to see the nostalgia goggles starting to fall off for Sunshine now people actually get to play it again rather than form their opinions via 20 year old hazy memories of Delfino Plaza's theme tune and some good void levels. It's always been about 50% frustrating rubbish/filler.

I don’t think anyone was under the illusion of Sunshine being anything but that :lol:

I’ve always maintained it’s full of frustrating levels and twitchy controls; I don’t think anyone could argue against that. But I still love it, and it was the first one I played in this pack and the first one I’m well on the way to 100%ing.

For me, it’s the unique setting, the music, the fun moves (sliding on a spray of water, jumping and then sliding again is nearly as fun as the hat/dive/jump combo in Super Mario Odyssey), and the blue coins that give you a reason to explore every nook and cranny in the stages (the purple coins in Odyssey were a much better implementation of this idea though). It’s not a coincidence that the 100 coin shines are my favourite to get: exploring each stage at your own pace and using every trick in the book to get extra coins.

I’m looking forward to playing Super Mario Galaxy again, and it’s undoubtedly a better and more polished game, but the exploration brings me back to Sunshine every time.

12 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Apart from the impatience which you will be punished for in Sunshine, this video shows why I find the game janky. You see how Mario kind of mini-hops as he falls off the platform at the end? That's because his stopping distance is weird and floaty compared to all the other Mario games, and the game doesn't seem to cope well with plummet edges.

I'm 45 stars into Mario 64 and I'm hitting more points where the camera is being a pain in the arse.

So I downloaded Banjo Kazooie for the Xbox to see if I was just misremembering things about the camera being generally alright in that version of the game. I think @CarloOos mentioned that he hadn't played Banjo before it came out on the 360 but he enjoyed that version of the game. I was in the same boat, never played Banjo on the N64 but beat it on the 360. 

Anyway, I played through Mumbos Mountain and a bit of Treasure Trove Cove and it was fine. I didn't have any issues with the camera and it just behaved the way you'd expect a "modern" (the 360 versions a decade old)game to behave. I doubt I'll play much more of it as its already a game I finished so its not on my to-do list while geting 120 stars in Mario 64 still is. I just wanted to check if they managed to put a decent camera into an N64 platformer and they had. The UI is comically big compared to most games though. Your lifebar thing is ginormous. 

I'm sure this'll bring out the oh you never even made a game, how dare you criticize the devs as lazy brigade but thats not what I'm doing. I've done enough work in boring software development to know that laziness is rarely the issue, its resources. Considering this collection was nailed on to sell millions of copies, and quite possibly already has, its a bugger that the people responsible for bringing each game to the Switch weren't given the time, money and manpower to make them the best versions they could be. Lesser games, like Banjo Kazooie, have gotten better updates than one of the most important games ever made. Thats disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, tnman said:

Apart from the impatience which you will be punished for in Sunshine, this video shows why I find the game janky. You see how Mario kind of mini-hops as he falls off the platform at the end? That's because his stopping distance is weird and floaty compared to all the other Mario games, and the game doesn't seem to cope well with plummet edges.

It's very twitchy... and a lot of the blocks are rounded at the end.  I find myself pulling back to slow him down, something you don't need to do in the other games.

I made a might meal of this one yesterday...

and I woke up the wife after this one

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Just wait til you need to go back to that stage and collect the red coins within the time limit for the secret shine.

I managed all that stuff back in the day and godammit I won't be defeated this time round!

I’m loving these I must admit, once you stop fighting the camera in Mario 64, well, it’s still godlike genius, just the way they pack so many ideas and secrets in those pretty tiny levels. The scale of them too is brilliantly realised, one of the few games I get actual vertigo from. 

I love the quirkiness of Sunshine, and the fact they did something new, again, with Mario. 

Can a second player still hoover up the star bits in Galaxy? Even by today’s standards that game looks incredible on Switch, Odyssey pips it but not by much. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

I'm 45 stars into Mario 64 and I'm hitting more points where the camera is being a pain in the arse.

So I downloaded Banjo Kazooie for the Xbox to see if I was just misremembering things about the camera being generally alright in that version of the game. I think @CarloOos mentioned that he hadn't played Banjo before it came out on the 360 but he enjoyed that version of the game. I was in the same boat, never played Banjo on the N64 but beat it on the 360. 

Anyway, I played through Mumbos Mountain and a bit of Treasure Trove Cove and it was fine. I didn't have any issues with the camera and it just behaved the way you'd expect a "modern" (the 360 versions a decade old)game to behave. I doubt I'll play much more of it as its already a game I finished so its not on my to-do list while geting 120 stars in Mario 64 still is. I just wanted to check if they managed to put a decent camera into an N64 platformer and they had. The UI is comically big compared to most games though. Your lifebar thing is ginormous. 

I'm sure this'll bring out the oh you never even made a game, how dare you criticize the devs as lazy brigade but thats not what I'm doing. I've done enough work in boring software development to know that laziness is rarely the issue, its resources. Considering this collection was nailed on to sell millions of copies, and quite possibly already has, its a bugger that the people responsible for bringing each game to the Switch weren't given the time, money and manpower to make them the best versions they could be. Lesser games, like Banjo Kazooie, have gotten better updates than one of the most important games ever made. Thats disappointing. 

I agree, it's typical Nintendo to have gone the emulation route when they obviously own the source code.  The homebrew PC version of Mario 64 has been widely ported (I'm playing on Vita) and is true wide-screen, upscaled and (I think) has an extra camera mode selectable from the pause menu.  (I say think , I can't remember if the original had that) .  I'm enjoying it more after someone earlier in the thread said that you should play this as a 2.5d game, and try not to adjust the camera unless you have to.

It reminds me of Jet Force Gemini, which I never played on release but remembered was a fantastic game that got great reviews. When I played it on the rare replay pack I just couldn't get my head around the controls. Using a single stick seemed impossible and it's prevented me from playing the game at all.

54 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

So I’ve just saved the Mushroom Kingdom and rescued Peach and the only reward I get is a cake?!

The genius of Mario’s story is that it’s actually teaching you an important life lesson. No matter what you do, you will be disappointed and rewarded unfairly and at the end of it all you will just meet a black screen. The fact that Bowser, aka Big Brother is there to watch you doing it through Lakitu-cam, and laughing at your failures is a simple throwback to dystopian nightmares of old. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine