Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

5 hours ago, Broker said:

You’ll never see that track editor, it was massively hampered by limitations in DD memory and isn’t anywhere near as exciting as it sounds. Even if they didn’t bother to fix that, they’d need to spend money and effort translating it into English which they won’t. 

Getting to play it at Replay years ago was a bit of a letdown. I'd fooled myself into thinking that it'd be much more capable than it was but after half an hour with it I had built a fairly basic loop, with some minor variations.

A modern equivalent, though...

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Now let's be fair.

It'd be F-Zero All Stars.

You'd get the SNES, N64 AND Cube ones lazily emulated on Switch for that.

No GX/AX because of lack of analogue triggers. I dread to imagine trying to play GX with no air brakes. All the tracks are designed around mastering them.

Hoo boy, even nostalgia's not going to convince me to finish Sunshine. I'm sure it's partly being spoiled by later, better 3D Marios, but the controls and camera combine into a symphony of frustration, even only 15 Shines in. I really hope 64 isn't this much worse than I remember it being.

5 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Started Mario 64 tonight, camera is a bit awkward and will take some getting used to. Cannae drop into the cage in the second level from that fucking owlcunt atm :angry:

You should see your shadow in the cage which helps. I managed it first time by doing that. 

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

You should see your shadow in the cage which helps. I managed it first time by doing that. 

Aye, got it literally first try after that post. Wasn't looking out for the shadow before. 

Seriously who the fuck in Nintendo thought Petey Piranha Strikes Back was a good idea? Less hard than insufferably tedious, and a repeated boss to boot.

Switching between Sunshine and Galaxy, interesting to note how much of the latter uses essentially fixed camera angles.

I was just watching Aoife Wilson from Eurogamer play Mario 64 for the first time and she did something I've never seen before. In Jolly Roger's Bay she was underwater and picked up the turtle shell from inside the clam shell and swam about with it...I thought that was just decoration?? :wacko:

5 hours ago, Number 28 said:

I was just watching Aoife Wilson from Eurogamer play Mario 64 for the first time and she did something I've never seen before. In Jolly Roger's Bay she was underwater and picked up the turtle shell from inside the clam shell and swam about with it...I thought that was just decoration?? :wacko:

You know you can skate around on them in the normal levels too right?

5 hours ago, Number 28 said:

There’s even a sign a sign in the level that tells you that you can do that. Have you tried jumping on one in bob omb battlefield. You can really tell this game had a lot of experimental stuff left in as stuff is just there it only used once with no real purpose.

8 hours ago, kensei said:

Seriously who the fuck in Nintendo thought Petey Piranha Strikes Back was a good idea? Less hard than insufferably tedious, and a repeated boss to boot.

Switching between Sunshine and Galaxy, interesting to note how much of the latter uses essentially fixed camera angles.

Yeah it’s interesting in that Mario 64 had fixed but gave you control to correct errors, sunshine went in the direction of just giving you full control all the time and then galaxy went the opposite way of basically controlling the camera all the time.

Is it just me, or is it really hard to judge distances in Sunshine?! I’m struggling to make jumps / land on platforms with FLUDD.

In fact I’m also finding it hard to navigate narrow platforms. The controls are a bit twitchy. 

I haven’t played the GC version since about 2004 so can’t remember if that was the same.

10 hours ago, Azrael said:

Started Mario 64 tonight, camera is a bit awkward and will take some getting used to. Cannae drop into the cage in the second level from that fucking owlcunt atm :angry:

I didn't even know there was an owl. I used the cannon!

EDIT: Shows up one of the differences in game design between 1996 and 2020... there's no way to know there's an owl up that tree without lucking into it or looking it up.

The magic of exploring Mario 64 is gone for me. While it was a technical triumph when it was released I've now been spoiled with more than two decades of refined game mechanics and more elaborate 3D worlds since its release. 

The magic of playing Mario 64, on the other hand, is not gone. Not at all. While I find myself shaking my fist at the screen in anger whenever the camera cocks up and makes me miss a jump I'm pleased to find myself enjoying the levels again. I think it's impressive that Mario 64 was so varied and had so many creative ways to use the extra dimension for gameplay mechanics. The levels are actually tiny but they are all crammed with secrets and stuff to find. While the camera really is annoying I think the biggest annoyance is the draw distance, making coin hunting a chore on many levels. 

Overall I find the 3D collection of Mario games a very welcome addition to my current games collection and playing them makes me feel all good and happy. 

3 hours ago, Broker said:

You know you can skate around on them in the normal levels too right?

Yeah yeah, course. It's just that one single shell under the water. I must've tried swimming towards it, got hit back by the clam and thought it did nothing.

Does Dry Dry Docks have a grabbable shell? I thought that mechanic arrived in Galaxy. I never actually bothered reading most of the signs, whoops.

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

Oh you're in for a bad time. Sunshite is an exercise in frustration. 

I’m not very far into the Switch version, but I was either comparatively easily pleased or had a lot more patience 18 years ago.

21 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah yeah, course. It's just that one single shell under the water. I must've tried swimming towards it, got hit back by the clam and thought it did nothing.

Does Dry Dry Docks have a grabbable shell? I thought that mechanic arrived in Galaxy. I never actually bothered reading most of the signs, whoops.

Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks both have green shells. Tiny Big Island and the second snow level has one you can skate on.

Gutted that after looking at footage, it seems it’s essentially just an emulated version of Super Mario Sunshine on the cartridge, glitches and everything. Would’ve loved to have seen a ‘fixed’ version, in the same way Wind Waker had various issues sorted for its HD remaster on the Wii U. (Admittedly GC Wind Waker was much more release-worthy than Super Mario Sunshine ever was.) Oh well. I suppose younger gamers can now get to experience the single-player ancestor of the Splatoon series, I guess.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine